NBC strongly opposed to Apple's 99 cent iTunes rental model

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So are these the same shows Amazon will be selling for 99c?

You know for Android tablets and such?
  • Reply 42 of 87
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Going to be cancelled before season 1 finishes.

Seriously, what thick fuck refuses 99 cents for a 48 hour pass to an episode when the sell it for 1.99 for unlimited viewing?? Are their advertisers pushing them to refuse rentals on iTunes? Do advertisers think that anyone actually watches adverts anymore?
  • Reply 43 of 87
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    A few random comments:

1) Mr Zucker, go ask your bean counters if any other distribution channel will pay you 70 cents per viewing per episode (assuming Apple takes their normal 30%). I'll save you the trouble...none do.

2) What we need to keep in mind is that this isn't just about shows on the NBC network. This includes all of NBC Universal's channels which includes USA Network, SyFy (which has also gone down hill recently), a couple of news channels and a handful of others.

3) This is another example of why Apple needs to focus more on getting the hardware into living rooms and not worry about near term content profits. NBC isn't really losing that much money because there isn't much of a customer base yet. Apple's made big steps towards this by pricing it at $99 and including Netflix. But I think they need to go further. Let the AppleTV play any video content FrontRow can, including video_ts so it can play my DVDs (Western Digital and others allow this on their media extenders). Or make an external DVD player to plug into the USB port so I can play my discs. Sure, they might lose a little short term profit; but when Apple can offer NBC an addressable markets of 20 million AppleTVs, they'll be more willing to play ball. I'll say it again and again, the iPod would have been a failure if there had been no way for me to play my existing music content on it and I had to rely 100% on purchasing (repurchasing) everything from the beginning.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    NBC is a crappy network with nothing worth a dollar.
  • Reply 45 of 87
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    The issue isn't so much if NBC has great shows or crappy shows - the issue is paying for something you already paid for - the vast majority of content downloaders aren't going to cancel their cable or sat service because there are too many programs and categories (news, sports), that don't fit a download model.

So I already pay stupid money to Cablevision and DirecTV - which in turn pays the networks for the content - how much more does NBC think I'll pay just for a convenience factor to see what I've in essence already paid for?

The difference with music was that downloads were instead of CD purchases - it was an alternative product, so there was no double dipping required by the consumer; TV shows are, in many ways, a duplicate product, and its a double dip - and that is not of interest to many except when you're in a pinch to watch a show you missed, or want to load up your laptop or iPad with some content when you're traveling..

In defense of the networks, they're caught between the old and emerging model - I'm sure everytime they strike deals like this with companies like Apple, they get hammered for diluting their product and the providers likely push for lower compensation....

Print is going through similar struggles...
  • Reply 46 of 87
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

What we need to keep in mind is that this isn't just about shows on the NBC network. This includes all of NBC Universal's channels which includes USA Network, SyFy (which has also gone down hill recently), a couple of news channels and a handful of others.

All three channels are crap nowadays. I haven't watched SyFy in quite a while, mainly because they rely on second-rate shows now like Stargate Universe and Sanctuary, as well as their invariably awful Sci-Fi Original films. USA hasn't had anything worth watching since Monk went off the air. Chiller isn't bad, but it's relatively new. Another five years and it'll be down the crapper, too.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Wow. Zucker is more clueless than I thought.

$.99 is still too much. I'll stick to DVRing everything from OTA broadcasts. Why spend a dollar to watch an episode just once, especially when I can record it in better quality for free?
  • Reply 48 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

How is Apple TV different from TiVo? TiVo can record shows automatically and people don't need to rent the shows. I'd rather have a DVR than Apple TV regarding TV shows.

NBC is just missing out on free money. Idiots. I'd consider renting a show for a quarter and that still seems high for something I can record free with a DVR. Advertisements can be fast forwarded and deleted if the show is kept on a computer.

NBC... really stands for Nothing_But_COCKsuckers

and JEFF ZUCKER IS A REAL MODY DICK!!!!!

they are more irrelevant each and every day that passes... although i did like that new spy drama that came on tonight UNDERCOVERS.. its was really good and FREE!!!!

NOTHING BUT COCKsuckers
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Has anyone else failed upward the way Zucker has?

Ummm, Steve Balmer.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

All three channels are crap nowadays. I haven't watched SyFy in quite a while, mainly because they rely on second-rate shows now like Stargate Universe and Sanctuary, as well as their invariably awful Sci-Fi Original films. USA hasn't had anything worth watching since Monk went off the air. Chiller isn't bad, but it's relatively new. Another five years and it'll be down the crapper, too.

I really love covert affairs on usa.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

How is Apple TV different from TiVo? TiVo can record shows automatically and people don't need to rent the shows. I'd rather have a DVR than Apple TV regarding TV shows.

Another way they're different is you need a provider with Tivo. With AppleTV, it's plug and play. Anytime.

Based on my watching habits, I will be ditching cable and renting. It's gonna cost me about $13 for an entire season of any show. MUCH cheaper than the nearly $100 per month even if I don't watch a thing. If NBC wants my money, they'll agree to the 99 cent thing.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Wow! TV series have become worlds better than they use to be. From directing, to acting to writing a the large budgets to support these extravagent investments. To season and series long hooks that run continue despite the episodic storylines.

Monk for example, is a show I like and is like many dramas on USA Network: simple. The storylines are predictable, most being a "How done it?" in the style of Columbo, instead of a "Who done it?". It had a very slight series long hook with a great series finale but it was a simple show and not one I would say required a great effort to work for, on any level.

I watched the season premiere of Castle last night. Creator and writer Andrew Marlowe did a an absolutely amazing great job with this week's script. As a wannabe script writer I wasnt just dually impressed, but triply impressed.

I have a long list of TV shows I watch (and analyze), but I'll spare everyone by not posting it.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    @Avidfcp Would you mind posting in English?
  • Reply 54 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Yeah but can you really blame them???

If your not a consumer that buys but watches, you can go to almost any network site and watch the content for free. Thus the lack of flash on the ipad and iPhone. They could make it work if they wanted. Even if it meant plugging in your phone to an outlet, they could make it happen. In fact Tom Tom uses more battery than movies yet you never hear people complain and since the 3GS, the phone has been fast enough. With iPhone; it's a no brained. I hope many dint join and get HTML 5 to work as free is always better.

Blessings.

Just what, exactly, are you complaining about?

• Reply 55 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

that is exactly the point though - NBC/CBS/ABC/Fox are all **FREE** to anyone in the US who wants it. the fact that NBC's head is up their butt in terms of monetizing digital rentals is asinine.

79% of the US population lives in an urban area, that means that a relatively cheap antenna (less than one month's worth of cable) can get them about 20-25 channels, just like me. in HD. for no monthly fee.

two months cable subscription can get you an HD recorder for your free television:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR570-...p_ob_e_title_0 i started with a similar device in 2006 when Philadelphia stations started to broadcast ATSC, and now i have a full blow computer-based DVR that blows the pants off Tivo, and allows me access to my music and photos and the web as well as ATSC "free" tv. http://www.sagetv.com

all together, i still haven't spent what a year's worth of Comcast would have cost me, and i have added an $8 a month Netflix subscription so i can get the HBO/Showtime series i want to watch as well.

The problem with DVD recorders is you can only input with RCA jacks (the red, white and yellow plugs.) No HD input. PVRs have no way to transfer the files to a computer. There is an IEEE jack on most, but I've been told the files are in a proprietary format which can't be viewed on a computer. I'm no expert, but the only way I know to get HD video from TV on to your computer is with the Elegato HD TV device. I don't have one, but I understand they 'record' in real time.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are okay with $1.99 for a TV show sale, but not okay with a 99¢ TV show rental. This isn’t unique to NBC! Doesn’t this say that these networks aren’t really expecting much in the way of repeat viewing?

It makes perfect sense to me. Its a 100% increase in revenue. Whether you buy it to own or rent it you'll most likely watch it only once, so why not make double the money? Btw just because it makes sense doesn't mean I agree with it.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Do advertisers think that anyone actually watches adverts anymore?

Don't Apple put commercials on TV?
  • Reply 58 of 87
    The market for music and video is much different. When everyone was downloading pirated music from Napster et al, Apple came along and showed them a way to sell music. People flocked to it. Then the music industry got greedy and said 99 cents isn't enough. Some withdrew their music, and what did people do? They didn't go to walmart to buy CD's. They went back to 'stealing'. The music industry eventually learned that this is the way music is sold now. (There's still a few holdout like the Beatles, and who doesn't have Beatles music in their library? Some just don't get it)

A song is generally less the 5 minutes, so you'll listen to music over and over. How many times are you going to watch a 22 minute sitcom from NBC. 2 or 3 max. (unless you're a total loser and have no life) People spend 50 bucks for a season of whatever show and how many times do you actually watch them. I used to buy DVD movies because I liked the movie and after 300 or so (many unopened) I stopped. I was just collecting movies and they were just collecting dust. Like I said it's easy to listen to music over and over, but how many times are you going to watch full length movies and TV shows.

My daughter watches all her TV on the internet for free, so the content is out there. As far as renting TV shows go, if I were NBC, I'd take he money and run.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

The problem with DVD recorders is you can only input with RCA jacks (the red, white and yellow plugs.) No HD input. PVRs have no way to transfer the files to a computer. There is an IEEE jack on most, but I've been told the files are in a proprietary format which can't be viewed on a computer. I'm no expert, but the only way I know to get HD video from TV on to your computer is with the Elegato HD TV device. I don't have one, but I understand they 'record' in real time.

My Tivo HD can transfer shows over my home network to my MacMini (though I had to buy Toast to get the software). This includes over-the-air shows and shows from Comcast Cable. Toast can play them or can transcode them to something iTunes can handle.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    The question they should be asking themselves is:

It will take threefold rentals at $1 to equal $3 purchases. Will total business even out, or perhaps even increase?

Since they don't have to pay any distribution costs for selling or renting they shouldn't put sales against rentals - but rather bake it all together.

I think $1 for rentals and $3 for buying will probably loose some buyers - sure - but rentals will potentially boom! And if they roll it out worldwide it'll get crazy.