Apple updates iWork for iPad with new iDisk, Office support

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

It's a good thing because it's a not even a big iPod Touch anymore. It's slower, weaker and has less ram and apps.

Typical 1st gen for Apple...

Let's see how little we can get away with putting on a product and have them beg them to give them their money.

• Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:

Couldn't close a deal with Facebook. Can't close the deal with NBC.

This is only the start. I have more options on my Droid X than I had in 3 years of the iPhone and the Navigation app is incredible (turn by turn voice for free).a

Everything that Droid fans say are true. But the great part is it gets better everyday.

Apps are cheap or Free or built into Android.

It took 2 fricking years for copy and paste on iOS. There are about 800 apps that I can return if I don't like them if they aren't free that preform this one task.

My songs all converted with http://www.doubletwist.com/ and I can watch the real internet with Flash or block the ads if I want. I can turn Flash on and off with the click of a button.

It's my choice. Steve Jobs will never get it.

• Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

And when iWork on iPhone 4? Please, please, pleaaaaaaaase!!!!

I am honestly surprised that anyone seriously considers to do work with Pages on an iPhone. And just viewing documents you don't really need the power of Pages, which is a fully operational text editing and layout software. But who knows maybe apple plans to create a micro pages app. Good luck don't give up your hopes yet. Or get an iPad the iWorks apps as well as the iPad are worth every penny.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:

Wow, Apple gets competition that is now starting to kick its ass in the mobile arena and now they finally get off their lazy ass and start adding what I have been asking for since iPhone 1st gen.

They lost me to Droid X.

!

Not such a big loss after all.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

I, too, in my "wisdom" have questioned this. I am a great organizer, and I have all these folders here there and everywhere and know exactly what file should be where. Of course, this is the old desktop paradigm, and I think Apple is now trying to take us some place new.

Funny thing is, Apple really invented the desktop paradigm and did it properly. MS messed it up, but now no-one can see past this old paradigm and yearns for it. I never know where anything actually resides on Windows PC's because the hierarchy is convoluted. On the Mac, everything flows from the harddrive(s) as root, because, in reality, it physically is the root.

But as superior as their desktop implementation was, Apple now wants to take us somewhere else. Technology and our mobile computing lifestyles are increasingly taking us beyond the desktop. So, it gets increasingly crazy to expose the user to the finder level -- and do it accurately, as only Apple is wont to do. Rather, we will begin getting used to seeing our files that are available to a given program, anywhere, on any device that we access. It will be the same file, and we will not need to worry if it is the latest version or not, and what file to keep when we use a different device. It won't matter where the originals are. I am really looking forward to this.

Soon I think we will be opening Keynote on the desktop and in the opening dialog box that displays templates, we will see all the files we just saw on our iPad's Keynote homescreen. In some ways, this may seem to us expert "finder jockeys" that this is a step backwards; it might seem kind of Microsoftian, with everything showing up in some kind of detached My Documents space. But I think it will work out. My preference is for either some system that is extremely accurate and reflects the reality of where files are actually physically stored (but who cares where cloud services are located and how many hard drives hold my stuff as we begin to use more and more different services); or, something new entirely; I don't care for some in-between solution. I anticipate being pleasantly surpised.

Very interesting thoughts and I mostly agree despite my earlier critical remarks.

For the record I don't think the solution is just bolting on a finder to iOS because as you say that's the desktop metaphor and it doesn't, and probably shouldn't translate to iOS. The progression I see however, is the movement away from giving access to the entire file system of the device and towards simply giving the user targets like "documents" and "downloads." This has been happening on the desktop for years and ever since snow leopard, the *default* is not to show the hard drive on the Mac desktop.

Stacks were also another obvious (to me anyway) attempt to keep the user out of the Finder and avoid the relative confusion it causes them.

I was expecting from day one that iOS would do this same thing and perhaps even take this further and that's the kind of missing solution I'm talking about. All that's necessary is for iOS to have a simple, flat, folder called "documents."

Having what we have now which is multiple, invisible folders of documents for each app that the user can never find (because they also sort of don't exist), is just a horrendous solution IMO. Even the stupids are aware that if they have a document, it's somewhere on their phone, and having this one folder to look in is the obvious solution. People also know that when the phone is connected to their computer, there is an opportunity to transfer stuff back and forth. Even complete luddites know this.

So to have this documents folder load on the desktop when you connect your phone is again, the obvious choice. It just seems to me that Apple *has* to provide this or something like it, and following their OS development so far, and windows OS development so far, one would also completely *expect* it.

IMO Apple is just moving too slow in this area.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's cumbersome

Yes, but everything that is not automatic is cumbersome.

Quote:

Currently I have to email a document off of the iPad to myself even when it's connected to my computer.

No, you can either use apps that can write back to Dropbox (ie, you work of a local copy of a document that is automatically saved back to Dropbox and thus to your computer) like Droptext or you can save from the iWork apps to iWork.com.

Quote:

The iTunes interface for syncing documents with iPad apps is not intuitive, and it is even different from app to app what the result is.

Agreed, I don't use it for anything.

Quote:

I'm assuming with the iDisk update that I can "save" a changed document to my iDisk, and load documents from my iDisk but it's not certain from the description above that I can do that.

Ahm, what else could 'saving to iDisk' mean?

Quote:

A simple, flat, folder called "Documents" that loads on the desktop when the device is attached is the obvious solution that everyone is waiting for.

Assume you had to drag your music and podcasts manually to a mounted 'Music' folder with your iPod/iPhone. That is not the solution. The solution is the cloud (even if it just were just a local cloud sitting in your attic, for music your local iTunes library is a sort of a cloud).

Take Simplenote for example, that is how things should be done or Dropbox. Nobody wants to connect their iDevice every time they want to move a document
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

Wow, Apple gets competition that is now starting to kick its ass in the mobile arena and now they finally get off their lazy ass and start adding what I have been asking for since iPhone 1st gen.

They lost me to Droid X. It received Android 2.2 update last night and it's like the iPhone X.

Steve Jobs sat on his lazy ass and didn't do shit until Android showed up.

For the iPhone faithful. Flash on the phone makes it like a true tablet. The tablets are going to kick iPad's ass for that one reason alone.

I LOVE MY DROID X!

I know, Apple has been so damn lazy this last year or two. No new products or updates. Just the same old boring stuff. Steve Jobs is the worst CEO ever. Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 48 of 53
    My neighbor saw a news piece about a driving school here in Japan that uses iPads for its classes and asked me tonight about the iPad. He asked about iWork and Office support; this update made his day.

Yet another iPad sold.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

great! iPad is still missing some sort of a filing system, I cannot upload or attach a file in a webpage.

t

tried it out with our webdav server and it worked very well. but i have to say that pages on ipad is not intuitive at all and the filing system is very weak.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    iDisk support is very welcome. Now I access all my files on the go without having to copy them on to my iPad and use up limited hard drive space. I had been using the iWork.com facility but I would rather leave that for shared files only. Hopefully when the new data centre comes online they will increase the current iDisk 20GB storage limit.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

You're kidding, right? Come November, every iDevice ever made will run 1 of 2 OSes: iOS 3.1.3 or 4.2. Every Android device will run 1.5 or 1.6 or 2.1 or 2.2. Now that's fragmentation.

I'm amazed you were able to answer the bit about fragmentation - I couldn't get past the "Depends on if he changed his douche that day." comment. Huh? Changed his douche? What in the world is that even supposed to mean?

To quote a line from a fantastic movie: "No one knows what it means, but it's provocative." But that's really all it is in this case, because it's total nonsense.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

thank-you!!!!!!
  • Reply 53 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Boy, by the list of new features the iWork team was pretty busy with the iPad version. Knowing Apple and how short on engineering staff they are, that translates into no new iWork for the Mac until at least 2011. That sucks.

Personally I'm not sure why there is such a big attraction with respect to year software releases. In general they are hardly worth the expense and offer little for that money.

Don't get me wrong I want to see iWork updated and Numbers fixed. Numbers is the one iWork app that drives me batty on the Mac. It is extremely limited feature wise and has very odd user interface behavior. The problem is Numbers needs more done to it than a minor yearly update would imply, rather it needs a major overhaul to bring it up to a level at least competitive with open source solutions. I just see Numbers as iWorks weak link.

In any event I care less about when and would rather see right or well done.

Dave