Apple issuing refunds for Apple TV rush orders, citing delay

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

I am really disappointed that I can't purchase movies with the new Apple TV. True, I can purchase them in iTunes and then wait for them to download before streaming them to ATV, but that's a pain.

The rental model doesn't work well for families with kids. There are so few decent movies for young ones that they end up being watched over and over again.

Get the $7.99 netflix plan. Tons of movies to stream for free.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

I am really disappointed that I can't purchase movies with the new Apple TV. True, I can purchase them in iTunes and then wait for them to download before streaming them to ATV, but that's a pain.

The rental model doesn't work well for families with kids. There are so few decent movies for young ones that they end up being watched over and over again.

all the parents I know don't rent the same (kids) movie over and over. they buy/rip and put it on their media server.

you can stream your own content to the ATV.. so what's the problem?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    FWIW - the delay might not have anything to do with Apple..

there's a little weather in China right now.. T-storms all week.. maybe FedEx isn't flying their normal number of routes.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...opnav_business
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Our records indicate that when you placed your order you paid for upgraded shipping," Apple wrote in the emails. "Due to a delay, we may have not been able to meet our delivery commitment."

This is a retarded article. I can't believe that no one remembers that Apple waived extra shipping charges for people who pre-ordered iPads with expedited delivery. I mean seriously, how is ordering it overnight gonna get it there faster if it ships "Late September"?

Geesh. Non-news.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bignumbers View Post

So the new $99 Apple TV requires either a new TV or an expensive HDMI-to-Component adapter, neither of which I can justify for a $99 product.

I don't know why anyone would buy a single purpose convertor when an under $300 receiver will do the same thing and probably be an upgrade to what the vast majority of people have today.

My six year old CRT RPTV has HDMI - those pining for component are, at this point in time, in the minority.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy a single purpose convertor when an under $300 receiver will do the same thing and probably be an upgrade to what the vast majority of people have today.

My six year old CRT RPTV has HDMI - those pining for component are, at this point in time, in the minority.

That plus this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

component --> HDMI for $39. not all THAT expensive.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ballgoesinthenet View Post

That plus this:

no other solution will preserve itunes (video) drm. yes, you can get the same content from other places.. but if itunes is your store.. this is the easiest way to get it to your tv. hooking a laptop up is less than elegant

i was underwhelmed by the new ATV, so I got a Western Digital video player.. $129 with support for 2 USB drives (drives extra of course). netflix, and other streaming services supported as well. HDMI out, 1080p. wifi is not supported out the box though, you have to get a dongle.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ballgoesinthenet View Post

That plus this:

I believe the previous poster would require HDMI -> component since AppleTV is an HDMI source and his TV needs component input.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    My order status still says it will ship in september.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

Get the $7.99 netflix plan. Tons of movies to stream for free.

Too bad the Canadian selection is very very bad. But it will be there so I will wait a bit and see if selection improves. US selection is pretty good.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    As of Sept 26 at 9:15pm, my order still says,

"Not yet shipped.

APPLE TV-USA

Ships: September"

-----

UPDATE:

Shipped on: Sep 27, 2010 via FEDERAL EXPRESS

Tracking #: XXXXXXX (Pre-sign for this shipment)\t

Product: APPLE TV-USA

FedEx says: Estimated delivery to Orlando, FL: Sep 30, 2010 by 4:30 PM

And my shipment is originating in: