Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

2. Why still no FLAC?

Non-issue. Just convert to ALAC using something like xLosslessDecoder
  • Reply 22 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Well, I didn't have a 3GS, so I can't compare speeds with that, but myself and 2 bandmates all got iPhone 4s within the past week, and have all had issues with the proximity sensors and VERY flaky reception/signal strength issues. I've had at least 10 people tell me they have issues hearing me during phone conversations, which is very unusual compared to my old crappy Nokia.

One of my friends has made the comment that speed, signal and battery life were all much better on his 3GS (he's the only one of us who had one), although he also says 4 improves basically all other aspects of the user experience.

[...]

If your results are far off what is being stated on independent sites across the Internets then there is an issue.
    Apple is selling 2-3 million of these things a month. 0.1% defective units on consumer electronics is probably very low yet that still means 2,000-3,000 per month. No one should expect all CE to be without production defects, or that Apple is infallible, or that the odds are too low to affect you.

Bottom line: If one has an issue get it resolved, but complaining about it on an Internet forum won't do anyone any good.
  • Reply 23 of 110
    Quote:

I'd also like to add that all three of us have had poor results with the compass (the arrow never points forward in maps - mine likes to point at a 45 degree angle to the right even if I'm driving down a perfectly straight street)...

duh Just because you are going straight has no bearing on whether a compass is pointing forward. You should learn what a compass is for before complaining that it doesn't work.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Has anyone figured out a way to make these two features disappear (like forever)?

Apple certainly ha the right to add stuff to iTunes, but it would sure be nice if we had the option to both disable and remove features we find exceptionally irritating and useless.

Colored icons for playlists would be cool also.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Has anyone figured out a way to make these two features disappear (like forever)?

*Mac* ONLY - how to disable those annoying Ping drop-downs next to songs in your library.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/25/disab...-ping-buttons/
  • Reply 26 of 110
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

I'd also like to add that all three of us have had poor results with the compass (the arrow never points forward in maps - mine likes to point at a 45 degree angle to the right even if I'm driving down a perfectly straight street)

Are you serious? Wherever you are, whatever direction you are facing or traveling, a compass always points at Santa Claus.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Ping is poorly implemented. I'm surprised this site has not reviewed Ping at all. It is a buggy kludgy pile of junk. I had such high hopes for using it. I'm downloading this update to see if my mind is changed about that.

Basically enabling Ping destroyed my iTunes account so I can't purchase from the iTunes store. I've complained 3 times to Apple with no response. I fine with them not wanting my money. Hopefully this doesn't affect too many people, but I guess we'll see that in the quarterly financial numbers.
  • Reply 28 of 110
    Quote:

I'd also like to add that all three of us have had poor results with the compass (the arrow never points forward in maps - mine likes to point at a 45 degree angle to the right even if I'm driving down a perfectly straight street) I'm still learning the phone so maybe I'm doing something wrong for the com

ROFL. You and your bandmates aren't in Spinal Tap, are you?
  • Reply 29 of 110
    I must second the complaint about no FLAC support. It is not uncommon for labels to distribute music in this high fidelity format, and there's no good reason iTunes should not play it. It's quite unfortunate.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Are you serious? Wherever you are, whatever direction you are facing or traveling, a compass always points at Santa Claus.

Hopefully not, but they do walk among us, unfortunately.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

ROFL. You and your bandmates aren't in Spinal Tap, are you?

No, lmao, he's the lead for 'DOOFUS'.
  • Reply 32 of 110
    Quote:

I'd also like to add that all three of us have had poor results with the compass (the arrow never points forward in maps - mine likes to point at a 45 degree angle to the right even if I'm driving down a perfectly straight street) and the battery life is well below my expectations, although maybe it'll just take a few charge cycles to get optimized. I'm still learning the phone so maybe I'm doing something wrong for the compass to always be so screwy.

You do realise to that the phone needs to be laid flat for the compass to work as well don't you?
  • Reply 33 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Ping is poorly implemented. I'm surprised this site has not reviewed Ping at all. It is a buggy kludgy pile of junk. I had such high hopes for using it. I'm downloading this update to see if my mind is changed about that.

Basically enabling Ping destroyed my iTunes account so I can't purchase from the iTunes store. I've complained 3 times to Apple with no response. I fine with them not wanting my money. Hopefully this doesn't affect too many people, but I guess we'll see that in the quarterly financial numbers.

Ping is improved with the new update, but it still lacks.

Improvement #1: It's now almost effortless to post a "like" of any song in your library, on iTunes or not, to your Ping profile.

Improvement #2: You can see almost immediately when you click on a track in your library whether that artist has a Ping profile.

Improvement #3: You don't have to explicitly go to Ping to see your Ping activity.

Still lacking: No way to post images, videos or active links.

Still lacking: No way to search your various friends lists for friends who use Ping.

Still lacking: No way to "invite" someone to use Ping.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    I've just begun using Linux. I keep Vista for certain software. Vista has iTunes. My Mac Book is what I use most of the time for now. It has iTunes.

I want to own a portable digital music player that can store lecture files as well as music from my CD collection. I like the features of each of the iPod models. Are the video and image files used on iTunes unique to iTunes? Can such features from another brand of software still do the same things on an iPod? I don't download music from iTunes but I really like the radio streaming features.

Is there any really good quality music player for Linux that can work for iPods? I know that iTunes won't work on Linux right now and I doubt Apple will bother to make such a version.

I have no intention to use Ping. What others listen to doesn't interest me. Most of the music I find that I like comes from Pandora selections. Some of the tunes I learn about come from iTunes radio stations and AOL radio stations.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

duh Just because you are going straight has no bearing on whether a compass is pointing forward. You should learn what a compass is for before complaining that it doesn't work.

You obviously haven't tried the Maps app on iPhone 4, so I'll excuse your idiocy and rudeness (but not the fact that you're a jackass).

The app is designed to turn the map in whatever dircetion your facing. Yes, it uses the compass, but the map is only supposed to point north when the user is pointing north.

And no, I'm not carrying any magnets in my pockets.

And to the other posters, yes, I'm holding the phone flat. It pretty frequently asks to recalibrate due to "interference", but I'm not in the vicinity of any magnets or large pieces of metal or anything, and recalibration seems to go fine.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    You do know that cars can have a screwy effect on magnetic fields, right?
  • Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Non-issue. Just convert to ALAC using something like xLosslessDecoder

Apple lossless is not FLAC. Neither is WMA lossless, for that matter. While they're both lossless, FLAC is a far more popular format despite not being supported by Quicktime/Apple.

In 20 years, do I want all of my music being stored in the digital equivalent of BETA tapes? Or the musical equivalent of .lwp files? I understand there'll probably be a converter created in that eventuality, which will be a pain in the ass.

I agree that it's all speculation so here are the other pros of FLAC over Apple Lossless:

-it supports CUE sheets

-it includes MD5 hashes so you can check integrity of files very easily

-pipe support

-replay gain compatible

-it's still being actively developed, so improvements to metadata/tagging, for example, are reflected in the Codec

-it's open source

-it's supported in Linux

Anyways, would it really be that difficult for Apple to implement? They can jam the "Genius" and "Ping" in, but can't add the most popular Lossless Codec to the player?
  • Reply 38 of 110
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I think it's kind of funny that you can "like" anything in your iTunes Library now. As if you had something in your library you didn't like?

Personally, not many (if any) of my favorite artists are on Ping so it's pretty useless to me. The idea behind Ping is kind of a nice idea though, like facebook but only for iTunes related stuff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ping is improved with the new update, but it still lacks.

Improvement #1: It's now almost effortless to post a "like" of any song in your library, on iTunes or not, to your Ping profile.

Improvement #2: You can see almost immediately when you click on a track in your library whether that artist has a Ping profile.

Improvement #3: You don't have to explicitly go to Ping to see your Ping activity.

Still lacking: No way to post images, videos or active links.

Still lacking: No way to search your various friends lists for friends who use Ping.

Still lacking: No way to "invite" someone to use Ping.

• Reply 39 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Actually, my first thought was that the Maps app doesn't adjust for magnetic declination, which might be an issue for me, since I live pretty far north. However, that wouldn't account for the fact that the map is constantly about 30 degrees off... Declination would only put that at about 4 or 5. I can only hope that it's a software issue, really.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Seriously? 39% of the posts on here related to the iPhone?

Stay on topic people...stay on topic!

Quote:

Actually, my first thought was that the Maps app doesn't adjust for magnetic declination, which might be an issue for me, since I live pretty far north. However, that wouldn't account for the fact that the map is constantly about 30 degrees off... Declination would only put that at about 4 or 5. I can only hope that it's a software issue, really.