Google, Microsoft lose mobile ad share as Apple's iAd grows

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No. Because Apple won't let you let. Just like when they started the itunes LP etc, iAds is in house only at this point. When the bugs are deemed out of the system, they will release an SDK for making ads

Actually, as of mid July, any iOS developer can produce iAds. There is the development kit and it is really very cool. I like the way Apple introduces features slowly. When they do release new capabilities it is always very well thought through and complete.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

I like Apple, but I just wish these pissing contests would stop as the barometer for a company's success. This is like saying a bus driver (referring to the overall pissing contest, not this article in particular) is eventually doomed because he does not have the passenger capacity nor the coverage an airline pilot has.Or that the only to succeed is to make more money than the pilot and drive him out of business.

But I guess lack of sensationalism simply fails to get eyeballs for the advertisers.

Apple aren't sensationalising this, 'analysts' are - Apple can't help what the media say... So not sure why you're criticising Apple on this point?

One thing I like about apple is the silence as regards speculation and new product announcement, figures are announced in a professional way each quarter and Jobs normally makes a couple of headline figure highlights during his keynotes. Products are announced when they're ready to be pre-ordered or very nearly complete. Hardly blanket sensationalism, that's down to the media.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    The wonders of miscommunication on the Internet-

I wasn't criticizing Apple at all- it's the way "news" are presented in these forums to provoke a click and generate traffic for advertisers.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And let?s not forget these ads are written in HTML, CSS and Javascript. It wouldn?t be hard for Apple to expand the iAds bubble to the web pages thus hurting Google, Yahoo, MS and even Adobe with very little knowledge.

You mean that web pages could have tasteful, subtle ad banners that are targeted to things that interest me? I could opt-in to view the actual ads?

Nah!

I'd have to replace my AdBlocker with an AdSucker or an AdReader!

The AdSucker could traverse the web and screen-scrape all the ads I want to see...

...then display them all on a single ginormous page of bling!

My mind quivers in anticipation...

• Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

I say it?s like anything Apple does. They start with a controllable set and then build slowly and in a controlled way.

LA Times had an article a few days ago that 75% of iAd buyers are renewing or increase spending.
    PS: I didn?t mention it, but the HTML5, JS and CSS3 would have likely have to have a fallback for older browsers, which isn?t needed in iOS, but that doesn?t seem very difficult in the scope of things, especially when you consider the potential profit Apple could make.

The LA Times article is referring to an incestuous use of iAds: app developers create iAds for their apps and those iAds are presented within other apps;

For example, instead of an app like Angry Birds advertising just Toyota, Lever Brothers, etc. -- in addition it could advertise another app from another (maybe competitive) developer.

So, if I am playing Bejeweled, and see a banner for Birds... I click-through and buy the app! The Bejeweled developer gets paid for the iAd activity of Birds (a competitor).

Reminds me of a Paul Harveyism:

"We cannot all stand around in a circle, with our hands in each-other's pockets -- and get rich, thereby."

Then, as now, that puts a smile on my face.... ...lower

For older browsers, the fall-back can be crap ads as we know them today. I suspect the target profile for most of the iAds will have current equipment and browsers.

If not, the crap ads would provide additional incentive to upgrade-- just to be rid of them.

• Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Maybe you have but didn?t realize it. Maybe that?s how slick these ads are.

They can be pretty subtle. You need to be running an app that has implemented iAds, and you won't always get an ad. It is a bit of a chicken and egg thing-- there aren't a lot of iAds yet, and there aren't a lot of apps implementing iAds. Also, iAds are not supported on all versions of iOS and iDevices.

I have a free app I am getting ready to submit. I implemented iAds wherever I could. In testing on the device, I would get a dummy iAd or sometimes a real one-- Toyota was the only one I saw.

• Reply 27 of 33
    Was the market share Apple is "poised" to take from Android "calculated" before or after Apple dropped all of the restrictions due to the anti-trust investigations?

Because if they were "calculated" beforehand, they might not accurately reflect how Apple is "poised" to be doing at xmas...
  • Reply 28 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Was the market share Apple is "poised" to take from Android "calculated" before or after Apple dropped all of the restrictions due to the anti-trust investigations?

Because if they were "calculated" beforehand, they might not accurately reflect how Apple is "poised" to be doing at xmas...

I can?t figure out what you are getting at. Did you mean to post this in a thread about OS marketshare? Did you mean Google when you wrote Android?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

If the ads are so slick that you saw an iAd but didn't realize it, then what good is to the advertiser who never gets their ad clicked on once, let alone twice!

A car transport just drove up with 3 Nissans...

• Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually, as of mid July, any iOS developer can produce iAds. There is the development kit and it is really very cool. I like the way Apple introduces features slowly. When they do release new capabilities it is always very well thought through and complete.

Is the development kit part of XCode? Would I be right in assuming that anyone who can put together an app will be able to do an iAd?

Once you've created your iAd, how do you get it into Apples system, and do they pick which applications it might appear in, or do you have some level of control over that?

I assume you pay them based on the number of times your ad is clicked?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Is the development kit part of XCode? Would I be right in assuming that anyone who can put together an app will be able to do an iAd?

Once you've created your iAd, how do you get it into Apples system, and do they pick which applications it might appear in, or do you have some level of control over that?

I assume you pay them based on the number of times your ad is clicked?

It is not necessary to use the iAd SDK since all of the iAd code is pure webkit although it is much easier to use the SDK which does integrate nicely with Xcode. There is a submission process. That is all I feel comfortable saying. You should become an iOS developer to learn all the details.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Wow 21%, and I still have not seen a single iAD. If only more people got to see those ads I bet the numbers would rise even higher. Apple really needs to get its iAD into more apps. All I get currently is adsense.

Edit: Never mind just saw an iAd for CitiBank. I guess I am seeing those. Very nice.