Goldman Sachs says Apple planning thinner iPad with camera, mini usb

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hauerg View Post

Apple will put a mini-USB for CHARGING purposes because the EU rules that in future devices (at least in future phones) you HAVE to have the mini-USB for charging, so you can use ONE charger for all your devices, instead of having to carry a half dozen when travelling. This might even allow them to ship the charger as an option. (Extra €€€ but faster charging....)

Of course they will still keep the dock connector.

This isn't really a law-- it's a memorandum of agreement signed to by the major cell phone makers doing business in Europe. Not sure what the consequences of not following through would be.

Also, the memorandum of agreement is specifically regarding cell phones, so it's not clear to me that something like the iPad would even be covered. It's not like the EU is demanding that all consumer electronics that run on batteries must have the same charger.

Finally, my understanding is that Apple can still get around all that just by shipping a docking/charging station with a micro-USB power connector-- which saves them from having to reengineer their entire lineup just to satisfy the EU market.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hauerg View Post

Apple will put a mini-USB for CHARGING purposes because the EU rules that in future devices (at least in future phones) you HAVE to have the mini-USB for charging, so you can use ONE charger for all your devices, instead of having to carry a half dozen when travelling. This might even allow them to ship the charger as an option. (Extra ??? but faster charging....)

Of course they will still keep the dock connector.

EU legislation talks about chargers, not cables. 30 pin conector is just fine, all they need to do is change their charger connector.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This isn't really a law-- it's a memorandum of agreement signed to by the major cell phone makers doing business in Europe. Not sure what the consequences of not following through would be.

Also, the memorandum of agreement is specifically regarding cell phones, so it's not clear to me that something like the iPad would even be covered. It's not like the EU is demanding that all consumer electronics that run on batteries must have the same charger.

Finally, my understanding is that Apple can still get around all that just by shipping a docking/charging station with a micro-USB power connector-- which saves them from having to reengineer their entire lineup just to satisfy the EU market.

As far as I understand, Apple already fits the upcoming EU- rules perfectly. You can charge all iOS devices and iPods with standard USB Chargers. The ones from apple just look nicer (my opinion).

OK, I am not sure wether it has to be the USB mini, but even if so, all they have to do is change the standard USB connecter with a USB mini connecter. I guess Apple should be capable to to this.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Concerning the theories that a mini-USB port would be due to EU regulations:

1. There is no EU regulation. There is just a voluntary agreement by most cell phone manufacturers to use a common charging plug. (Although this voluntary agreement came to pass after the EU threatened to pass a regulation if the industry does not agree by themselves)

2. Since this is for cell phones, it probably does not apply for the iPad (but for the iPhone).

3. Supplying an adapter might be enough to fulfill what the industry has promised.

4. The common interface is micro-USB, not mini-USB.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There are lots of things that you can - legitimately - criticize Goldman Sachs for, but their needing bailout money is not one of them.

I'm sorry, but what have you been smoking?? There is nothing else you can do but to criticize them!! They are the scum of the earth with all their stock-market manipulation, high-frequency trading, corrupting governments, etc. Not only have they corrupt Washington, they are one of the major players responsible for the financial mess we're in at the moment!! These oligopoly scums deserve no respect from me, and i say no more bailouts, let them go down like any other mom&pop store, that is the natural way and that is the survival of the fittest!

Get off mainstream media, don't read or watch that junk what WSJ, NYT, CNN, FOX, CNBC talkingheads are fudding, the internet and youtube is your friend! Search for Gerald Celente, Ron Paul, Max Keiser, Peter Schiff, Bob Chapman, Mike Maloney, Jim Rickards, Chris Waltzek, Jim Sinclair, Michael Pento, Alex Jones.....just to start off. I did it and it changed my life forever, i'm now preparing for the biggest crash this world has ever experienced, your choice what you do.

You think Barrack Obama (aka Barry Soetoro) is the most powerful man on earth? Think again....
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Wireless charging via induction technology is the future. See www.powermat.com

Add wireless sync/transfer and you can ditch the dock and cables altogether.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Make new iPad 9", not 9.7. Keep resolution the same.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, I know. But the problem is, much as it might have been distasteful, what they did was not illegal. (They settled, but only to avoid the negative (and continuing) publicity about the charges.)

Similarly, if we think Goldman's double-dealing is a problem, then we should make it illegal.

The tail that wags the dog? Oh great. Not everything that is legal is ok and there are plenty of examples of law catching up to practice.

On topic, the ipad IMO isn't going to 7" its the perfect size already. If they are going to uber lightweight they'd probably go bigger anyway. This product segment is trying to get away from the real-estate problems of the iphone and iphone aps. if we see a 7" anything it would most likely be branded as an ipod jumbo.

Adding another port besides the dock connecter just makes things harder for Apple's engineers. The 30 pin connector is just fine and using the usb adapter is fine. It supports usb camera connections obviously, but it can unofficially support a keyboard and my USB condenser microphone as well. It does both very well. With a little tweaking why couldn't this adapter work with HD's, flash drives, printers etc.? I don't see a reason to change a thing other than more horse power, better battery, a front facing camera and maybe a improved monitor. Apple might trim the body down a little too but so far I love my ipad. It and the iphone are were great first generation products.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

The tail that wags the dog? Oh great. Not everything that is legal is ok and there are plenty of examples of law catching up to practice.

On topic, the ipad IMO isn't going to 7" its the perfect size already. If they are going to uber lightweight they'd probably go bigger anyway. This product segment is trying to get away from the real-estate problems of the iphone and iphone aps. if we see a 7" anything it would most likely be branded as an ipod jumbo.

Adding another port besides the dock connecter just makes things harder for Apple's engineers. The 30 pin connector is just fine and using the usb adapter is fine. It supports usb camera connections obviously, but it can unofficially support a keyboard and my USB condenser microphone as well. It does both very well. With a little tweaking why couldn't this adapter work with HD's, flash drives, printers etc.? I don't see a reason to change a thing other than more horse power, better battery, a front facing camera and maybe a improved monitor. Apple might trim the body down a little too but so far I love my ipad. It and the iphone are were great first generation products.

Seven inches?

If Steve Jobs had stood up in 2007 and showed off an iPhone that was 3 times the size of any mobile phone or iPod in existence he would have been laughed off the stage. If this year he had shown an iPad that was "one-quarter" of the way between an iPhone and a MacBook, rather than "half way", he would have been laughed off the stage.

Mini USB? Maybe, if EU mandated, but it will be charging-only, and probably via a dongle.

The one thing we know for sure, and I do not need to get paid the huge amounts that analysts like those at Goldman Sachs get paid to blow hot air to tell you this, is that the next iPad will be BETTER than the present iPad. Anyone disagree?
  • Reply 50 of 78
    I finally checked out an iPad in the flesh the other day and have changed my mind regarding the need for a 7" version. The iPad is just right in terms of size. But it is also a little on the heavy side for a hand-held device.

Take that size of device and reduce its weight and you've got the ideal form factor. Seems to me that's the direction Apple should go in for the next version of the iPad. Let other manufacturers bring 7" devices to market. If their 7" tablets do not weight significantly less than the iPad and/or cost significantly less, Apple will dominate this market.

It seems to me that by not altering the form factor of the just-released Touch, Apple is signalling that it's happy with the offerings it is going to provide, at least in the next while. I say this because there really isn't room for the Touch and a less expensive 7" version of the iPad. Here in Canada the Touch models are priced from $249 to $429. The iPad starts at $549. I'm not seeing a whole lot of room for something else in the mix.

Besides, isn't the main reason that a lot of people would like to see a 7" model because such a device would be more convenient for hand-held use? It's certainly not because the extra screen real estate causes any problems. Another factor is price. But Apple has already aced price considering how remarkably affordable the iPad has turned out to be.

An affordable and lighter 9.7" tablet gets it done for quite a few people. On the truly portable side, the Touch is a decent product, certainly better than anything the competition seems capable of in the near term.

I really think there is a perception out there that the iPad is a large device but it's not. It certainly isn't pocketable and isn't intended to be. But on the other hand, make the screen smaller and you diminish the overall experience.

I'm surprised that Apple didn't up the size of the Touch slightly to improve its usefulness as a browser but now that the Touch seems locked into its current dimensions, I don't think a 7" iPad is likely. Such a unit would serve up the worst of both worlds and to an extent cannibalize sales, rendering it pointless from Apple's point of view.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Seven inches?

If Steve Jobs had stood up in 2007 and showed off an iPhone that was 3 times the size of any mobile phone or iPod in existence he would have been laughed off the stage. If this year he had shown an iPad that was "one-quarter" of the way between an iPhone and a MacBook, rather than "half way", he would have been laughed off the stage.

Mini USB? Maybe, if EU mandated, but it will be charging-only, and probably via a dongle.

The one thing we know for sure, and I do not need to get paid the huge amounts that analysts like those at Goldman Sachs get paid to blow hot air to tell you this, is that the next iPad will be BETTER than the present iPad. Anyone disagree?

We all know the processor will be faster and the device will be thinner and of course lighter. Certainly the battery life will be improved. Functionality will be improved and cameras (at least one) will be added. The only question I have is, will Apple increase screen resolution?
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

I'm sorry, but what have you been smoking?? There is nothing else you can do but to criticize them!! They are the scum of the earth with all their stock-market manipulation, high-frequency trading, corrupting governments, etc. Not only have they corrupt Washington, they are one of the major players responsible for the financial mess we're in at the moment!! These oligopoly scums deserve no respect from me, and i say no more bailouts, let them go down like any other mom&pop store, that is the natural way and that is the survival of the fittest!

Get off mainstream media, don't read or watch that junk what WSJ, NYT, CNN, FOX, CNBC talkingheads are fudding, the internet and youtube is your friend! Search for Gerald Celente, Ron Paul, Max Keiser, Peter Schiff, Bob Chapman, Mike Maloney, Jim Rickards, Chris Waltzek, Jim Sinclair, Michael Pento, Alex Jones.....just to start off. I did it and it changed my life forever, i'm now preparing for the biggest crash this world has ever experienced, your choice what you do.

You think Barrack Obama (aka Barry Soetoro) is the most powerful man on earth? Think again....

My, my.....
  • Reply 53 of 78
    How may i pads does apple want to make? The 7 inch is to small to view. Maybe the bigger one will suffice who knows? Time will tell. The good aspect is it has a camera installed.Important to have.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    There is room for a smaller iPad, 5-7 inches, based from existing and potential client market for the iPad. This may not be for our own use, but I can see many lucrative uses for that size range.

Even if it was introduced earlier, if you believe the iPhone, as a smaller evolution of the iPad design (based on Steve Jobs revelation), more recently, then I would not be surprised if Apple has not experiemented with other sizes, slightly bigger or smaller than the iPad, but would unlikely too close to the iPhone/iPod Touch size.

I would be surprised if Apple will go back to USB, for its truly mobile computing devices, even the iPad.

Many features of the iPad, requires a WiFi, at least, I doubt very much that an iPad in the future, would have mega-storage, like the ignored model of the iPodi, especially when it gets its act together with its North Carolina facility.

The future printer is being configured to be wireless, if memory does not fail me, it is now possible to transfer photo files, wirelessly, just like many household devices, are being transitioned to allow such controls.

I use US, and Firewire connections with my notebooks, at present. Not only are all those conections ugly, they restrict the spontaneous mobility of the notebook.

What will USB retrogression do to a more mobile computing devices, like the iPad?

But then again, Apple included a "wireless" keyboard to the iPad, after the clamors from many users, myself wishing the same.

CGC
  • Reply 55 of 78
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know people keep saying it is, but liquid metal is not actually lighter than other metals. It's still metal, it's just cooled differently.

It has a higher strength to weight ratio, so products can be made thinner and still be as strong, but it isn't actually lighter than other metals by any appreciable amount.

I think people some what equate, as strong while less weight as "lighter."

I mean if you are going to get technical EVERY material is equally light depending on how much material you have. So "lighter" is somewhat meaningless, as what people probably actually mean when comparing material is their "density". However, the ultimate figure of merit everyone is interested in (whether they say it or not) is:

FOM = strength/density
  • Reply 56 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

I think people some what equate, as strong while less weight as "lighter."

I mean if you are going to get technical EVERY material is equally light depending on how much material you have. So "lighter" is somewhat meaningless, as what people probably actually mean when comparing material is their "density". However, the ultimate figure of merit everyone is interested in (whether they say it or not) is:

FOM = strength/density

Isn't the bottom line the same?

I mean if you can make a product thinner, well less of a metal invariably will result in less weight, right? That's the bottom line. The iPad needs to be lighter and I'm sure Jobs, who seems unusually fascinated with the notion of making stuff thinner and lighter, is driving his staff to take the device in that direction.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

I'm sorry, but what have you been smoking?? There is nothing else you can do but to criticize them!! They are the scum of the earth with all their stock-market manipulation, high-frequency trading, corrupting governments, etc. Not only have they corrupt Washington, they are one of the major players responsible for the financial mess we're in at the moment!!

ad nauseam

Aside from throwing up a whole lot of political BS in this thread, when wasn't Washington corrupt? G/S, and most major corporate entities essentially are corrupting influences in DC, period. Your irate tirade is misplaced and too late. The whole system is corrupt to the core and is not going to change - because power corrupts, period. Get it? Got it? Good. No one is immune to it's effects. All legislation to curb corruption only rechannels the flow elsewhere. So just stop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

edited for length

The whole reason for the other device makers to attack in the 7 inch format is because it doesn't force them to have to submit to a point by point comparison to the iPad. It is the whole netbook approach revisited for the new tablet segment. The question will be if Apple decides that they think the 7 inch format is a viable form-factor, not because its a viable market sub-segment, kind of like they did with the iPods.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

How may i pads does apple want to make? The 7 inch is to small to view. Maybe the bigger one will suffice who knows? Time will tell. The good aspect is it has a camera installed.Important to have.

The other aspect to this is to watch to see how things go once the iOS platform is re-converged. If that goes well from an infrastructure perspective for Apple, look for them to start down the road of converging iOS and MacOS.

The iPad is the size it is because it is a logical cross-over point from a form-factor AND marketing perspective. The screen was smaller than a laptop screen, but much larger than an iPod touch screen. Why? Because it was the midpoint between a full-service computer and the ultraportable handheld system. As users demonstrated that they were willing to do so much on the iPod Touch and iPhone, it set the stage for Apple to leverage that to build the iPad and expand that usefulness into a form-factor acceptable to a much wider market. Witness the unexpected uptake of the iPad. More than ever before Apple's customers "got it" right out of the gate. There was not the characteristic "ramp-up" that a new Apple device enoyed in the past. Demand spiked the instant it was available.

The rest is already history - the other device makers are filling in the down-size gaps, either with mini-tablets, or macro-smartphones. They will fill in the bits of the market that don't take direct competition from Apple's products, to make sure they can get a piece of the action. As long as there is not (for the average consumer) a point-to-point comparison to be made (even though they may try to use some size or feature detraction in marketing them), they are safely squirreling away their little part of the market. And that's OK - because Apple has no intention of being everything to everyone.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

ad nauseam

Aside from throwing up a whole lot of political BS in this thread, when wasn't Washington corrupt? G/S, and most major corporate entities essentially are corrupting influences in DC, period. Your irate tirade is misplaced and too late. The whole system is corrupt to the core and is not going to change - because power corrupts, period. Get it? Got it? Good. No one is immune to it's effects. All legislation to curb corruption only rechannels the flow elsewhere. So just stop.

edited for length

The whole reason for the other device makers to attack in the 7 inch format is because it doesn't force them to have to submit to a point by point comparison to the iPad. It is the whole netbook approach revisited for the new tablet segment. The question will be if Apple decides that they think the 7 inch format is a viable form-factor, not because its a viable market sub-segment, kind of like they did with the iPods.

The other aspect to this is to watch to see how things go once the iOS platform is re-converged. If that goes well from an infrastructure perspective for Apple, look for them to start down the road of converging iOS and MacOS.

The iPad is the size it is because it is a logical cross-over point from a form-factor AND marketing perspective. The screen was smaller than a laptop screen, but much larger than an iPod touch screen. Why? Because it was the midpoint between a full-service computer and the ultraportable handheld system. As users demonstrated that they were willing to do so much on the iPod Touch and iPhone, it set the stage for Apple to leverage that to build the iPad and expand that usefulness into a form-factor acceptable to a much wider market. Witness the unexpected uptake of the iPad. More than ever before Apple's customers "got it" right out of the gate. There was not the characteristic "ramp-up" that a new Apple device enoyed in the past. Demand spiked the instant it was available.

The rest is already history - the other device makers are filling in the down-size gaps, either with mini-tablets, or macro-smartphones. They will fill in the bits of the market that don't take direct competition from Apple's products, to make sure they can get a piece of the action. As long as there is not (for the average consumer) a point-to-point comparison to be made (even though they may try to use some size or feature detraction in marketing them), they are safely squirreling away their little part of the market. And that's OK - because Apple has no intention of being everything to everyone.

The reason that the competition is going with 7" devices is that Apple's most impressive accomplishment with the iPad is the price. Before they released the iPad, there were rumours about price but when it was announced the device would start at around $500, that was the most startling aspect of the new device. It was expected the price would be much higher and it's clear that the competition doesn't know how to build a device sized like the iPad and remain competitive re price.

It's a brilliant move on Apple's part because undercutting Apple on price has long been an advantage that competitors have relied on. Where Apple has an edge, though, is that while competitors will lower price as production ramps up, allowing for economies of scale, Apple will keep their current pricing and instead make their device progressively more capable. For this to work, Apple's offering has to be a cut above but that's viable because Apple starts off a step or two ahead. As competitors scramble to take on what Apple is selling now, Apple is busy preparing the next model which will raise the bar yet again.

Already, though, by pricing the iPad aggressively, Apple is forcing competitors to cut corners to stay at least ballpark in price. So the iPad is easily ahead of what's coming in the first wave of iPad challengers, being the only one of the bunch with a 9.7-inch screen. By the time the competition can bring down price enough to compete, the iPad will be firmly established as a class-leading device.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

EU legislation talks about chargers, not cables. 30 pin conector is just fine, all they need to do is change their charger connector.

It's about ports on the phone. A micro (not mini) usb cable is supposed to be able to plug into the phone. I'm not sure if Apple can skirt the rules by providing a dock connector adaptor that accepts micro USB.

Either way, I suspect changes are in order for the dock connector. Apple doesn't have an HDMI dock available and I don't believe it can transmit digital video through the dock connector at all (I'm sure somone will correct me if I'm wrong). This in itself is a problem that needs to be addressed. Intel should also be finishing up the LightPeak spec, I'm sure Apple will want to take advantage of that to improve sync times. At the same time, Apple is heavily invested in the current dock connector and plenty of third party devices rely on it. Can Apple update the dock connector without breaking compatibility? If not, maybe we will see more ports. Mini USB seems unlikely considering the fact that the dock connector can handle USB just fine.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Isn't the bottom line the same?

I mean if you can make a product thinner, well less of a metal invariably will result in less weight, right? That's the bottom line. The iPad needs to be lighter and I'm sure Jobs, who seems unusually fascinated with the notion of making stuff thinner and lighter, is driving his staff to take the device in that direction.

That is my point. I think we may be saying the same thing.

But thinner only means lighter if the density remains the same and you want to maintain the same strength.

So, it really does come down to the merit function = strength^n / density^m

where n & m may vary depending on if the benefit of strength is linear (n=1) with the benefit of "light". Though they are likely n=m=1, or close to it.