iOS 4.1 version of Apple TV firmware posted, jailbroken

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

What percentage of Google projects are actually total flops, like Wave, or never make it out of the labs? Anyone?

Other than search and advertising, most of them? Yes, Gmail and Google Docs are popular, but do they generate enough ad revenue to break even or generate a profit? No one but Google knows - but just looking at their search volume vs. their other products it seems iffy.

Google is having the same issues as MS. They have a huge cash cow, but no other income stream, and they haven't found much luck expanding beyond their current income stream.

Apple, OTOH, is the exact opposite. They are diversified and seem to effortlessly move into new markets. Key word is "seem" - Apple knows exactly what they are doing, and it's neither easy, luck, advertising or a "fad" .
  • Reply 62 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Mines scheduled to arrive by noon tomorrow.

Wow, you must live in Alaska!
  • Reply 63 of 76
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starburst View Post

Wow, you must live in Alaska!

Haha nope. I'm in Alberta and my Apple TV's first North American stop was apparently in Memphis, which seems like a strange place to go. It looks like it got held up there most of today, so I don't know if the Fedex estimate will be right.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

my Apple TV's first North American stop was apparently in Memphis, which seems like a strange place to go.

Not at all - it's fedex's hub and headquarters. .
  • Reply 65 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

It's fully functional without an iOS device. You can stream movies from your iTunes library, rent movies and watch Netfix without an iOS device controlling it. You can even use AirPlay from your computer and view your photos without an iOS device.

Since you can't get Netflix outside the US, what advantage does this box offer over the original, because I can't see any.

Quote:

If you have a $1350 iPad, Apple TV also serves as a relatively cheap accessory to your iPad and increases the functionality of your iPad by putting its video display on your TV.

No I don't, and I have no intention of getting one. Hence why I replied to the person why said you could stream apps from your iPhone, or iPad, anyone that doesn't have one of those devices couldn't use the apps then.

Quote:

People will buy Apple TV and use it by itself.

Since I fall into this category, I see no advantage to this box over the many others (including the original) that are available.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Quote:

Haha nope. I'm in Alberta and my Apple TV's first North American stop was apparently in Memphis, which seems like a strange place to go. It looks like it got held up there most of today, so I don't know if the Fedex estimate will be right.

Thank you for laughing. It looks like we will be getting our tvs soon. I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and have been waiting for four months. I almost bought the previous generation tv, but read about this new model on this website so I waited. All I wanted was something inexpensive that I could stream movies from iTunes to my HDTV. Anything else is just lagniappe. I purchased an HDMI cable and Airport Extreme router and I can't wait much longer. It's like I'm a kid on Xmas Eve.

Sep 29, 2010 4:25 AM At dest sort facility KENNER, LA

• Reply 67 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

don't agree. The current ATV allows me to watch episodes of TV series, movies, pictures and listen to my music without having to always power on my MacBook Pro and login and wait...

Having some internal storage is truly great, so I can lay back, turn ATV on and enjoy the latest 3 unwatched episodes of a TV series, see all the pics of holidays, and also listen to hours and hours of music... Without turning on half of the computers in my house...

16 GB of internal storage, nowadays, is truly poor. Too poor for what the ATV is meant to do in the living room.

And if you tried to stream an HD movie over Airport Extreme WIFI (N), then you know why internal storage is beneficial...

You are so right. Love the storage so it can be unplugged and taken to another home. And too many networks with interference in my condo building..streaming sucks.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Not going to happen. The old one is based on an Intel CPU and the new one is ARM.

It's $100 - not exactly a hardship to upgrade

But no disk storage is the problem.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

There is a USB port in the back, so give it some time and the ATV guys will no doubt make a patch so you can plug a hard drive into it.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Since you can't get Netflix outside the US, what advantage does this box offer over the original, because I can't see any.

Since I fall into this category, I see no advantage to this box over the many others (including the original) that are available.

FYI, we just got NetFlix in Canada (through a PS3), and i'm very disappointed in the (lack of) selection of movies I want to see. Hopefully it will improve. Although, at $7.99/mth it's cheap enough for the kids and I'll end up keeping it.

Regarding the Apple TV.

I have the 160GB Apple TV and I'm planning to get the new one. I've never rented or purchased a movie through the Apple TV. I use it only to stream photos and my media. I'm curious to see how well the new one will stream my iTunes collection and my photos. Frankly, I found the original Apple TV way too slow in doing that. Maybe it's the size of my media 33,000 itunes items (205GB) and 25,000+ photos.

If it will stream my media without long delays I'll be mostly happy and I'll move the old Apple TV to another location. AirPlay is another reason I'm looking forward to it.

The big disappointment for me is the lack of 1080p playback. I have great 1080 home movies and have to downgrade the resolution to view. Maybe they'd work with the PS3, but I'd rather use the Apple TV.

If there was a storage option available, I'd definitely get that option.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

It will allow 99 cents rentals, which wont be on the old models which is an outrage imo since there are no tech reasons for this.

Possiblity to have more apps in the future.

AirPlay

Better jailbreak apps (to be confirm, but imo games will work if you have another idevice)

Its a lot faster, which means it will play higher resolution video. The only video my old AppleTV can play is 960x540 LOW profile H264 encodes. I am hoping the new one will play true 720p HIGH profile h264 encodes. For BT users, that means no need to re-encode 720p content. All they need is an any video format apps (like AirVideo) that you will probably get with jailbreak, or an app that will demux and remux in a .m4v container. Maybe you will be able to AirPlay the AirVideo output of an ipad (PC -> Airvideo -> iPad -> Airplay -> AppleTV, just make sure you dont sit in the path of all those wifi waves )

My camera does 720p and I am actually downgrading my home video resolution so the AppleTV can play it.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Why is it a problem? I have the old one and I never put anything on the HD, everything I buy get into my iMac and there is also another copy that goes on a external USB drive that is at work in case I get rob or in case of a fire. imo SJ is right about the fact that you need to manage media when you buy stuff so its better to rent imo especially that most people dont manage there data properly.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    Quote:

MUCH cheaper than the original, much more responsive (based on early reviews), smaller footprint, better access to more than one iTunes library and no syncing rquired, lower power draw and AirPlay (from iTunes or any iPhone/iPad/iPad Touch including ones owned by friends that visit you). Likely apps in the future too.

There are plenty of advantages over the original. Don't buy it if you don't want to, but there's no point is saying it needs an iPad to work properly, when it doesn't.

PS: I don't appreciate Canada being lumped in with the US with respect to Netflix availability. Unless of course it meant that we would get access to more content
  • Reply 74 of 76
    With tv, Apple has created the platform that is going to rule home entertainment.

There will be IOS updates and apps that I can't imagine, but Steve Jobs can and he will implement them.

For now I am thrilled to be receiving my own tv, it's due to arrive today 9/30/10.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple...eardown/3625/1

8GB of internal storage and already jailbroken... smells like apps. Hopefully Apple will release an official app store at some point as well.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

MUCH cheaper than the original, much more responsive (based on early reviews), smaller footprint, better access to more than one iTunes library and no syncing rquired, lower power draw and AirPlay (from iTunes or any iPhone/iPad/iPad Touch including ones owned by friends that visit you). Likely apps in the future too.

Since you haven't listed anything of value, I won't buy one, and I will continue using the one I have

Quote:

There are plenty of advantages over the original. Don't buy it if you don't want to, but there's no point is saying it needs an iPad to work properly, when it doesn't.

I didn't say it needed an iPad, you are the one saying that. I will say it again since everyone on this site has issues reading, I replied to the person who said you could just stream apps from an iPad, hence the reference to needing an iPad.

Quote:

PS: I don't appreciate Canada being lumped in with the US with respect to Netflix availability. Unless of course it meant that we would get access to more content

Well Canada does border the US, you are all technically Americans.