Microsoft to launch Office for Mac 2011 on Oct. 26

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post


    yeah but 8gb of RAM? jeaz, i don'T even use anywhere near all 4gb of mine with my recording studio and this is to write a word doc? something is very wrong.



    i have a 4gig machine at home with a core 2 duo 2.8 and it runs about as well as any other bloated product. that is to say speed wise it wasn't bad for what it is. but i am not pleased with outlook. maybe i am just getting spoiled by mac mail and activsync on ipad, touchdown on android and all the newer lighter products.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Microsoft Office is a necessary evil, however Office 2011 is a lot quicker to use than 2008 is. I run outlook on my windows 7 system and have no need of it on the Mac but the improvements to Word and Excel are welcome. For quick pdf flyers etc I prefer pages but for documents I know other staff members/customers will have to edit then I stick to word and excel.



    I used Open office but it really is the last resort if you cannot afford Microsoft office. It is painful to use and ugly as sin especially the Mac version.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apfel View Post


    ODF is an ISO Standard.



    e.g.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDoc...dwide_adoption



    What about ODF and Office for Mac 2011?





    Also take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_xm...zation_process



    Just because it is a standard DOESN'T mean that the majority will adopt it. In this case the majority have adopted office .doc format. Its easy to be a rebel by using an open standard but it pisses your customers off if they can't open what you send them !
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    IF you are an ms office fan then i am sure you will enjoy 2011. if you didn't care for it then i doubt it will make you switch. personally any day i don't have to use ANY 'Office" type product is a good day.



    No, I've always hated Office, and complained about solidly for years.



    I used Pages for a bit, and tried Scribe, and others.



    It's just that this Word is genuinely excellent. I don't really give two squirts of wee about the other apps!



    Seriously, though. Try this Word. It's damn good.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post


    No, I've always hated Office, and complained about solidly for years.



    I used Pages for a bit, and tried Scribe, and others.



    It's just that this Word is genuinely excellent. I don't really give two squirts of wee about the other apps!



    Seriously, though. Try this Word. It's damn good.



    been trying the whole suite for a couple of days now. seen enough. have retired it until its required to help office users.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    been trying the whole suite for a couple of days now. seen enough. have retired it until its required to help office users.



    Fair enough.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post


    why not use parallels or fusion?



    I did put parallels on my MBP which works ok. The unintuitive icons, full screen mode, releasing the pointer, finding the file system, and copying to the mac partition, quitting Windows verses closing etc. are kind of confusing when you don't use it everyday. At work, I have the PC anyway so it just makes it easier to use it that way.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post


    I agree, 2GB of RAM is the bare minimum needed for the OS to really operate I think. Start running more than one app on top of that and it gets slow. The fact the Quad Core Mac Pro only has 3GB is stupid when the laptops and imacs have 4GB. Put at least 6 in the quad core, and 12GB in the 8 and 12 core. Minimum.



    I'm running 4GB on my MBP. It's good for almost anything, unless you're trying to play the latest game with another user account open for fast switching.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    Just because it is a standard DOESN'T mean that the majority will adopt it. In this case the majority have adopted office .doc format. Its easy to be a rebel by using an open standard but it pisses your customers off if they can't open what you send them !



    And that is probably the main reason why Microsoft is not interested in supporting ODF.

    And that is bad for customers... .
Sign In or Register to comment.