Time Warner CEO says Apple 99-cent rental model 'jeopardizes' sales

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    Cry me a river, networks. These are the same people that want to charge $40 for a TV season box set, when all of those episodes were already broadcast on TV for nothing more then your monthly subscription.

My stargate box sets are about 18 episodes, so at $40 a pop networks are making a little more then $2 per episode. Times that by a whole run of a series (the only reason to buy sets of a series you like), for 10 seasons networks are making approx $400. That's an insane price to pay for stuff you normally would get free on TV or via a Tivo box if you set it up properly.

Forgive me if I don't see a reason to pay networks twice for the same content (once with my subscription and once on DVD or Apple TV)
  • Reply 82 of 85
    I like the last line

" Robert Iger, CEO of ABC's parent company Walt Disney Co., thinks his company is better off "aligning with technology companies than fighting them."

Why not just ignore them like they ignore Blu-ray. There are now more households with Blu-ray players than Macs. Sounds like Macs are just a fad to be passed over by Android. Or the next wiz bang gadget to come along.*

Have a backbone Hollywood. **
  • Reply 83 of 85
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I love how you're stating all this stuff as if I didn't already say this an much more simplistic way just a few posts above. Just proves that you and others just don't read the post, you skim them. Then try to insert your own spin on the conversations to make it all sound like these thoughts originated by you.

No, I read your post. But you asked for clarification and I expanded on my response.

It does no use to crying on these forums about Apple not providing DVD ripping capabilities. Between the law and licsene agreements they can't. To change this we need to make a law like the Home Audio Recording Act stating that home ripping of DVDs is Fairuse and that it is legal for companies to provide the software to do this. To do this we need to move from the technical world into the political one.

The second point is about the change of business model that Apple is proposing to the Networks. Of course the Networks are leery and are looking for the largest income. But when you are attempting to change something you have to understand what it is that you are changing and where the money flow is. While you and I would like an al la carte options (I would like to do without all those overpriced sports channels) the Networks are seeing the lost revenue from all of us dropping those unwanted channels. This is not spin. It is about understanding the other side when negotiating a desired outcome.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    Time Warner Cable is a corrupt, bloated monster that offers shoddy service and worse customer support. They deserve to be torn to the ground by innovators like Apple. That said, I agree that 99 cents seems unfair. I'd gladly pay $2 for first-run hour long shows (but certainly not for something like South Park). If I could get all of the shows I watch via iTunes, Amazon, or Netflix, I'd absolutely get rid of my cable subscription. It's astounding to me that Time Warner continues to treat its customers so poorly in the face of major game-changing competition. The barrage of advertising and hundreds of unwatchable filler networks makes watching cable TV a truly unpleasant and confusing experience. I may not have access to all the same premium content via my Roku or iTunes, but at least I'm not constantly having my intelligence insulted when I watch content that way.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    CNN Tech: Why we still can't watch live TV online