Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I just received it. That thing is tiny. It looks bigger on pics
  • Reply 22 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knwbuddy View Post

I doubt that many people would want to boot up their desktop just to watch TV.

Boot up? You actually turn off your computer?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Wow... not a single item on your wish list is anything I'm particularly interested in, particularly on a gen1 release.

you're telling me you're not interested in lending purchased videos to your friends or checking what people think of a movie before puchasing it, or after renting a movie and then deciding to purchase it, you feel like you should still pay the full price? I don't think you've used one long enough. Apple TV is not 1gen, the interface is almost identical to previous two gens.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yeah... Apple SO doesn't know what they're doing.

When it comes to the Apple TV, one has to wonder...
  • Reply 25 of 37
    is it me, or is it odd that apple released the firmware to the public?

like they want to see what people do with it to know what direction to go with the apple tv......
  • Reply 26 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleepy Dinosaur View Post

is it me, or is it odd that apple released the firmware to the public?

like they want to see what people do with it to know what direction to go with the apple tv......

It's what they always do. How else are you supposed to restore it or upgrade it?
  • Reply 27 of 37
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

So are you saying when your shiny new atv finally arrives your going to break it?

Have you had any confirmation of delivery yet? I got billed today but still haven't got mine. \ Next Monday apperently.

Well I won't jailbreak it straight away. I'll wait a few months to allow other people to test it for me!

I have a jail broken. iPhone so that I can use Mywi to tether my iPad (Before people flame me, I pay O2 a monthly fee to allow tethering on other devices). There is certain functionality that the Apple TV does not have, for us in the UK and I'm sure you'll agree a lot of the features of the Apple TV such as NetFlix are not open to us.

If the jail breaking community works out a nice way for me to watch iPlayer and LoveFilm.com etc through my Apple TV I will certainly look into it.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

you're telling me you're not interested in lending purchased videos to your friends or checking what people think of a movie before puchasing it, or after renting a movie and then deciding to purchase it, you feel like you should still pay the full price? I don't think you've used one long enough. Apple TV is not 1gen, the interface is almost identical to previous two gens.

It will be possible to go watch a purchased movie to a friend house if you have a idevice you can load it on the device then play it at the friend house using a cable or if they also have an AppleTV you can just Airplay it.

When all of your purchases will be in the cloud, you will be able to bring your entire collection with you and stream from the net to the idevice then to the TV with airplay.

I will be testing lots of stuff tonight with my new AppleTV, like if my Airvideo app supports Airplay then I will be able to play any file format into the AppleTV using the iphone or Ipad (when new ios is release). But the best would be to put Airvideo directly into the AppleTV with a jailbreak. That thing is screaming for an appstore.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    if vlc for iPad is an indication, other video formats are not going to work very well on the A4 chip.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    I received my new Apple TV yesterday; had a chance to play with it for a few minutes and was surprised how much faster the GUI was than on my old Apple TV.

There are clearly a lot of opportunities to improve the capabilities moving forward; like the App store, Web & DVR functionality, Gaming, etc., but off the bat, this thing beats the old version in just about every respect.

Provided you have a some "home sharing" devices with content.

Things I like so far:

Home sharing delivers content much faster than "shared" content on the old Apple TV. That box delivered the same movie via wifi 3 times as fast than my 1st gen. Apple TV via Ethernet.

The new Remote App is a perfect companion for Apple TV. The remote keyboard is fantastic on my iPad. Fast to go through vast content.

Netflix: This thing is a 1000 times better for watching Netflix than any widget/app that Netflix puts out on BD players, TV's or PS3. Their interface is simply ugly, slow, limited & clunky.

I'd buy the Apple TV for Netflix alone...

What I don't like so far:

No video settings, period. Not sure if it's just my TV, but the Apple TV delivers some funky black levels. Anyone else have that?

For $99 this thing is a no-brainer. Definitely the best Netflix interface there is and for that matter, just about any media server. Roku, really??
  • Reply 31 of 37
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    The most important thing about this Jailbreak is the revelation of the code name "Low Tide".

In a recent patent app, Apple refers to a "transition between input modes" i.e. between "a high-resolution input mode UI" and "a low-resolution input mode UI" see: <http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/08/the-mother-lode-welcome-to-the-imac-touch.html>. In this patent, a touchscreen iMac becomes a big iPad when you push it down closer to flat on your desk.

Since iOS can do almost all of what both Widgets and Front Row can do, my guess is that these will merge into the "low-resolution input mode UI", and the Mac OS X will remain the "high-resolution input mode UI".

When that happens, all your iOS apps will then work on your Mac.

If that guess is correct, the high-resolution Mac desktop OS is or will soon be code-named "High Tide".
  • Reply 32 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    This Apple TV can read in 1080p files without conversion.

It still OUTPUTS 720, though, but if more work with the jailbreak fixes that, I'm buying two immediately.

That's the ONLY thing stopping me right now.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    I certainly agree about lovefilm.com and iPlayer. This is what I want as a UK user. If the Apple TV allowed apps or both of those services to work through Apple's own UI (as with Netflix in the US) I'd order one today.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    What I forgot to add was the question: when/if do you think we'll see a Lovefilm.com option in the UK, much like Netflix in the States? I can see that opening up the AppleTV to iPlayer and 4OD might require further work or opening it up for apps, but surely Lovefilm could almost be dropped in as a like for like with Netflix?
  • Reply 35 of 37
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Enable Safari with Flash support and watch Hulu for free. Probably ain't gonna happen.

Well, until now, Hulu has done its best to keep their services off any TV box, Boxee and so on. They want to be a computer alternative, it seems. Stupid, huh?
  • Reply 36 of 37
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It still OUTPUTS 720, though, but if more work with the jailbreak fixes that, I'm buying two immediately.

It's my contention that, unless you have an HDTV that is larger than about 46", there's no discernable difference. Far more depends on the quality of the compression than anything else.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have test some 1080p m4v files and there is some frame dropping. I watched a 720p high profile h264 encode last night with only a few frame drop. Old apple tv was not able to play those files at all.

I think a low profile 1080p could be watchable but this device is mark has 720p device which seems to be true.