Review: Apple's second-generation Apple TV (2010)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I just received my 2nd Gen AppleTV today and couldn't be happier with the results. Faster, quieter, and cooler (literally). Did I mention faster? I mean, compared to the 1st Gen version, this thing rocks!

My 1st Gen unit now gets recycled and I couldn't be happier about that as well.

Next up, a RocStor 8TB Raid array to handle all my legally ripped library.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    Really who cares if it is better than this or that?

Buy what you want. If it is something that you cant live without and you choose a different product then Apple will eventually pay attention or not. I really don't want to hear people whining about 1080P and ability to access some facebook app.

i like both my new and old one. Neither are perfect, but both have some really cool features. I will hack the heck out of it to make it serve my needs if I have to
  • Reply 63 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chapco View Post

Really who cares if it is better than this or that?

Buy what you want. If it is something that you cant live without and you choose a different product then Apple will eventually pay attention or not. I really don't want to hear people whining about 1080P and ability to access some facebook app.

i like both my new and old one. Neither are perfect, but both have some really cool features. I will hack the heck out of it to make it serve my needs if I have to

Like you said.... who cares?
  • Reply 64 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

I'm also very curious whether it can (or will in the future) be able to stream iTunes Library to content sitting on a NAS (like the new WD MyBook Live).

I am currently streaming off of my LaCie Quadra D2 2TB via Airport Extreme. Not a true NAS solution, but a solid working one none-the-less. Yes, it does require me to fire up my MBP every time I stream, but I bring it home every night anyway, so not that big of a deal.

Eventually, I will commit to a MacMini as a Home Entertainment Server with the Rocstor RAID I just bought. Then I will be able to stream to any number of AppleTVs in the house. Plus, I don't clog up my MBP with all the content I have ripped or purchased via iTunes.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The original couldn't do 1080p either without a hardware modification. Component output is a slight issue but they can't support legacy formats forever. If you don't have HDMI on your TV by now, you need a new TV.

I spent $6,000 on a 55" plasma five years ago, it works fine, I need HDMI to DVI and not a bag of hurt.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I spent $6,000 on a 55" plasma five years ago, it works fine, I need HDMI to DVI and not a bag of hurt.

That might not work. DVI inputs on TVs (especially older ones) are meant for PC input and some have fixed inputs of 1024 x 768 and it squashes the images. If you've already tested HDMI input via DVI and it works, then maybe an adaptor will work for you but I would very much doubt it.

If you were willing to spend $6000 back then, $900 this year should be doable:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50C5...877101&sr=1-19

You might even make enough money selling the old one to pay for the new one entirely. You get a future-proof TV with a full 12 month warranty.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    I bought the Apple TV on Saturday and I think it's pretty great. I love watching Netflix through it but have noticed it freezing some.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShredderClay View Post

I bought the Apple TV on Saturday and I think it's pretty great. I love watching Netflix through it but have noticed it freezing some.

While their may be several reasons for the freezing, I also had some issues last week, and one night in particular.

To my surprise, I received a "Sorry for the problems" email from NetFlix, along with an offer for a small refund for the month.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    LOL. You do realize that Apple doesn't design the Netflix does. Further, can you tell me where the straight category is located? I am having trouble finding it. Finally, last I called Apple recently donated a hundred thousand dollars to fight against your "oppression, where companies like Target where fighting to keep you oppressed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

No thanks Steve. I prefer TV without constantly being reminded of my oppression.

• Reply 70 of 84
    In all honesty, Apple TV 1.0 didn't thrust into the living room, and we've been waiting for them to step up and make a revision that was. Apple TV 2.0 is their answer. (Let's stop calling it Take 2, please!) It's everything Apple TV should have been when it launched, complete with audio and video podcasts, Flickr and .Mac integration and?most importantly?movie rentals without a computer. At $229, it's an essential part of any iTunes user's living room arsenal.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chewing View Post

In all honesty, Apple TV 1.0 didn't thrust into the living room, and we've been waiting for them to step up and make a revision that was. Apple TV 2.0 is their answer. (Let's stop calling it Take 2, please!) It's everything Apple TV should have been when it launched, complete with audio and video podcasts, Flickr and .Mac integration and?most importantly?movie rentals without a computer. At $229, it's an essential part of any iTunes user's living room arsenal.

This makes no sense at all. "Any iTunes user" is obviously using iTunes with a computer, so why is a computerless Apple TV needed for any iTunes user? At $99, the Apple TV 2 makes much more sense. Add the fact that AirTunes doesn't work with Apple TV 1 and it's a no brainer for any iTunes user whose media includes music.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    I know this is an old thread but for someone who buys almost everything Apple comes out with (including the 1st ATV), I still haven't bought this specifically because of the lack of a hard drive. This is a HUGE omission in my mind for 3 reasons:

1.) I often have my laptop off when I'm not using it. It saves power and eliminates the possibility of malicious activity.

2.) Streaming everything from your laptop or computer shortens the life of that hard drive and other components. My laptop gets enough use, why start streaming stuff from it? It is much more expensive to replace a laptop than an ATV.

3.) You always have to have iTunes running. Even if you leave your MacBook running all the time, iTunes needs to be running too. So if you're listening to music on your stereo while trying to get work done, expect your machine to be running slowly.

Please, please Apple, put a reasonably sized hard drive back in the next version.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Please, please Apple, put a reasonably sized hard drive back in the next version.

I don't think they should put a hard drive inside it because it contributes to the heat and size. Some small amounts of Flash memory would be ok to sync up like you would an 8-16GB iPod. It apparently does have 8GB so that feature could be enabled.

An iPod can also be used as a broadcasting device for content instead of the laptop if you had one.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    If you really can't stand to stream from your laptop, go buy an old Mac mini and set it up as an iTunes server.

They couldn't put a big enough HDD in the aTV to hold all my video anyway, so why bother.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I know this is an old thread but for someone who buys almost everything Apple comes out with (including the 1st ATV), I still haven't bought this specifically because of the lack of a hard drive. This is a HUGE omission in my mind for 3 reasons:

1.) I often have my laptop off when I'm not using it. It saves power and eliminates the possibility of malicious activity.

2.) Streaming everything from your laptop or computer shortens the life of that hard drive and other components. My laptop gets enough use, why start streaming stuff from it? It is much more expensive to replace a laptop than an ATV.

3.) You always have to have iTunes running. Even if you leave your MacBook running all the time, iTunes needs to be running too. So if you're listening to music on your stereo while trying to get work done, expect your machine to be running slowly.

You're missing out. The new TV is insanely great. I use it every day to stream music to my living room. There is no slowdown on my MacBook Pro whatsoever. And a MacBook Pro uses almost no power. You could leave it on all year and it will probably cost you $10 in electricity (can somebody do the math?).

Of course, I could always stream from my iPod Touch if I really want to turn off the MacBook Pro or shut down iTunes.

And lastly...

"It saves power and eliminates the possibility of malicious activity."

Using a Mac, not clicking on questionable links or downloading software from torrent sites, turning on security and your firewall on your router and not running as root ELIMINATES the possibility of malicious activity. Really. And that's what you should be doing anyway.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The only thing stopping me from buying three second-gen Apple TV right now is the lack of 1080p output.

Frick's sake, it can TAKE IT IN. It's doing the conversion down to 720 ON THE FLY. It's obviously capable of outputting 1080p; it just doesn't because iTunes content isn't 1080 yet.

That was the only thing stopping me from the first gen, too, but I'm certainly glad I didn't. I'll take 6 watts max power over 100 watts IDLE any day.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only thing stopping me from buying three second-gen Apple TV right now is the lack of 1080p output.

Frick's sake, it can TAKE IT IN. It's doing the conversion down to 720 ON THE FLY. It's obviously capable of outputting 1080p; it just doesn't because iTunes content isn't 1080 yet.

That was the only thing stopping me from the first gen, too, but I'm certainly glad I didn't. I'll take 6 watts max power over 100 watts IDLE any day.

If your hypothesis is correct, 1080 output will be a SOFTWARE update... So no need to put off buying it, you'll get 1080 at no cost when they're ready to release it.

And as someone else said, you're missing out by waiting...
  • Reply 78 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

If your hypothesis is correct, 1080 output will be a SOFTWARE update... So no need to put off buying it, you'll get 1080 at no cost when they're ready to release it.

And as someone else said, you're missing out by waiting...

Apple's not exactly known for giving out software that lets old hardware do what it's designed to do once the new hardware is out.

I don't expect such an update to ever exist, so I'll just wait.

Cases in point, iPhone 2G/3G video recording, multitouch on pre-pre-unibody machines (last Penryn before unibodies got the update, none before that that could do multitouch got it legitimately)... I'm forgetting something else, but you get the picture.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple's not exactly known for giving out software that lets old hardware do what it's designed to do once the new hardware is out.

Yeah... i was SOOO upset that the last several iPhone OS updates don't work on my 3GS. I guess they expected e to by a iP4 to get iOS 3.

update: oh wait... they DO work on the (old) 3GS !
  • Reply 80 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Yeah... i was SOOO upset that the last several iPhone OS updates don't work on my 3GS. I guess they expected e to by a iP4 to get iOS 3.

update: oh wait... they DO work on the (old) 3GS !

Completely missing the point I'm making.