Apple TV sellouts seen as start of 1M sales per quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

Anyone know if the AppleTV can be set to randomly play a series of videoclips repeatedly that would be stored locally on the HD? I'm looking for a cheap way to stream videos to a TV/monitor that requires little to no maintenance. For $99, the AppleTV looks perfect. Otherwise, I'd have to use a ac mini or some other small computer, but the price is way too much for what it will be doing. Thanks.

Can probably do it with iTunes AppleScript Dictionary (still requires a computer)

Sudo code:

tell application "iTunes"

if (something) then open (choose file)

end tell

Could get a little complicated but might be worthwhile for a professional office lobby where you want to loop videos highlighting services offered.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

The mark-up is quite low, but if they manage to sell a mil per quarter, that would be around $34 million per quarter. Not bad for a hobby, It would buy Jobs a lot of turtlenecks.

You can't use iSuppli's BOM estimate to churn out a number like that.

First of all, BOM is not COGS. There's packaging, the cost of the remote, etc. before you reach COGS. From the gross margin (revenue minus COGS), you have to subtract SG&A (marketing, distribution, etc.), R&D costs, patent/licensing fees, etc. The net income from an Apple TV is much lower, probably in the single-digit percentage.

The BOM percentage is much lower for the new Apple TV compared to the old model, but it's still not in the typical 50% margin range of other iOS devices.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/05/...-pegged-at-64/
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Put them in a Playlist and choose random and repeat for goodness sake.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    Quote:

Anyone know if the AppleTV can be set to randomly play a series of videoclips repeatedly that would be stored locally on the HD? I'm looking for a cheap way to stream videos to a TV/monitor that requires little to no maintenance. For $99, the AppleTV looks perfect. Otherwise, I'd have to use a ac mini or some other small computer, but the price is way too much for what it will be doing. Thanks.

No way to store the video locally. If this is going to be a fixed setup, within your local network, you can make it work fairly easily, I think (but haven't tried it).

The ATV has an option to shuffle play all the selections in the iTunes playlist entitled "Music Videos." So, put your clips in that folder, fire up the TV and ATV, select the playlist and shuffle, watch your clips. What I don't know without testing is whether the shuffle will automatically repeat.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    Quote:

You may want to look at the Roku Players (Put your videos on an SD card and let it go). As much as aTV or cheaper. I don't know if it will loop or randomly videos or not though. If not that, then just get a tiny little 200 dollar nettop, load on Ubuntu, and have it loop or randomly play the video to your TV. Apple doesn't make any "cheap" products that are this specific.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Bet Apple will make more money off their box than Google.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

The mark-up is quite low, but if they manage to sell a mil per quarter, that would be around $34 million per quarter. Not bad for a hobby, It would buy Jobs a lot of turtlenecks.

A more realistic number is probably around $20 per AppleTV, using Apple's average profit margin as a guide. At a million per quarter, that would be 4 million per year, or $80 million in additional profit. At a P/E ratio of 20 (perhaps a tad high), that's an extra $1.6B in market cap, or about $1.80 per share.

Not chump change, but not the blockbuster growth opportunity that will take the stock to the next stage.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Have you heard of the Logitech Revue? Looks like a considerable competitor to Apple TV.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    I love my new Apple TV. I dumped BB Online and signed up with Netflix and the streaming quality is decent enough that it suffices for the movies that I will stream. Ive rented, and will continue to rent, the few TV shows that I actually watch, and any movies that I don't feel like waiting for the Bluray to come in the mail.

The iPad or iPhone as a remote is excellent.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    I just wanted to know how many units were sold from how many stocks that was made available before concluding it is a sold out.... not saying Apple constraining stock to boost sale rate but still... this is just the initial period... wait until the next presentation to see the actual numbers..
  • Reply 31 of 94
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    If it only ran apps. Maybe it'll do soon, using the iPod touch, iPhone or iPad as input.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Have you heard of the Logitech Revue? Looks like a considerable competitor to Apple TV.

Have you heard the AppleTV is a build out of one's already growing ecosystem? Why in the hell would I want to spend $300 as an Apple customer if I'm already used to having my Mac, iPod Touch, iPhone, and more?
  • Reply 33 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Have you heard the AppleTV is a build out of one's already growing ecosystem? Why in the hell would I want to spend $300 as an Apple customer if I'm already used to having my Mac, iPod Touch, iPhone, and more?

You may not want to, but to a potential customer without all of those "sunk costs" Logitech's product may look like the perfect solution.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

You may not want to, but to a potential customer without all of those "sunk costs" Logitech's product may look like the perfect solution.

Imo the logitech google tv is a geek toy. Too complex for average users
  • Reply 35 of 94
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

You may want to look at the Roku Players (Put your videos on an SD card and let it go). As much as aTV or cheaper. I don't know if it will loop or randomly videos or not though. If not that, then just get a tiny little 200 dollar nettop, load on Ubuntu, and have it loop or randomly play the video to your TV. Apple doesn't make any "cheap" products that are this specific.

Well, they do actually-- as has been pointed out, Apple TV + video playlist in iTunes + shuffle + repeat and you're done.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Google TV/Revue are competitors, but at the same time they are not. There is a fundamental difference in the approach taken by Google/Logitech and Apple.

Apple: Apple TV is an add-on to your existing home theatre. It brings additional content and/or viewing options. The add-on concept is familiar to consumers as they are used to adding bluray players, game boxes, etc.

Google TV/Logitech Revue: Complete restructuring of your home theatre. Rather than being an add-on, it is trying to be the new heart of your system. It will require users to completely rewire/setup their systems and get used to a new way of doing things. The TV or receiver is no longer the center of the system. This is a radical concept that consumers won't be used to. How can something that isn't a receiver/tuner/tv be the heart of the system?

Apple's approach has far broader appeal both because of price and the ability of an average consumer to understand what it is/does. They are taking a seed/harvest approach. Apple TV has basic functionality now, but AirPlay, apps and additional content providers will make it into a super powerful device. Integration with the Apple ecosystem takes it even further. And then they'll take all that functionality and cram it into their own TV and take the market by storm.

I think it really comes down to one thing. Can you explain what these products do to an average consumer in one or two sentences? If not, you've lost them. I think this is where Google's strategy will hinder its success. Its just too complicated for consumers to understand why they need it or how they would use it.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

I hate how these so called "analysts" think they can take the first week of sales and project out to a single quarter, never mind saying "per quarter". That is completely unfounded bunk. The prediction isn't worth the air used to utter it.

I don't believe the Analyst, but that is because I think their estimate is low... I am going to buy one for the Netflix feature alone. The damn Netflix box was $99 and all it did was Netflix. This is so much more even without the harddrive. Think about how many people bought an Airport Express just to stream music to it. With the installed base of devices that will be able to stream to this with Airplay (Yes that includes your desktops and laptops and not just late gen iOS devices) there will be heavy demand at this price point and feature set. Not to mention it will only get better.

Oh, $99 for streaming Internet Radio to your TV/Stereo? Nice....
  • Reply 38 of 94
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

I hate how these so called "analysts" think they can take the first week of sales and project out to a single quarter, never mind saying "per quarter". That is completely unfounded bunk. The prediction isn't worth the air used to utter it.

I generally believe most analysts to be stupid. After all there is a reason they are an analyst rather than an executive actually doing business and making the big bucks. Those who can't do, teach. Right?

Anyhow, their predictions aren't quite as basic as extrapolating sales in a linear fashion based on the first week. They look at the first week, look at the market and look at a growth curve for typical products and markets of the same nature. So there is more to it than just multiplication, but more often than not they are wrong anyways.

Seriously, how many analysts were able to accurately predict iPad sales for 2010? None! iPhone 4 sales? None!

And another thing that irks me about analysts is how they are never visionary. So we end up with analysts with no vision who only know how to look backwards trying to predict how visionary companies will behave in the future. Recipe for disaster. In the end, stupid analysts end up influencing stupid investors into predictable behaviours. If you can learn this pattern and foresee those predictable behaviours there is a lot of money to be made I like to call it "investing in stupidity." I invest in others' stupidity.
  • Reply 39 of 94
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Me thinks it's the power of the Netflix App that's driving sales. Apple had many people interested in the ATV a while ago. I was one of them. But it lacked basic things that we all wanted. Streaming content directly from a cloud, Netflix, and some other basic features. Well, I'm still waitng for those other basic features, but Apple has gained about 75% more adopters due to simply Netflix. The box is basically the same function that the previous ATV's had, except Netflix and this new Airplay feature. Otherwise the interface and the Apps are the same.

So I don't think there is any comparison to Google at all. On the Contrary, Google's TVOS is drastically different. Not to mention they are taking the standpoint they always have, which is to make the system, but let everyone else supply the hardware to adapt to it. Partnering with Sony, Logitec, and ESPECIALLY Dish Network are huge moves for Google. Soon all Dish Network customers will have to option to get a DVR with Google TV built in. Apple should have partnered with ATT's Uverse and did the same. Google's exposure will be similar to how Android has evolved into the market that it is today.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Apple: Who needs Internet on their TV right Google?

Google: Shut up..

Looks like Apple was in the right track with this Apple TV. You'll see an article soon (maybe in AppleInsider) on how many people are renting movies and TV shows on their Apple TVs. Then the rest of the networks will soon follow FOX and ABC.

• Reply 40 of 94
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    You might also want to mention that Logitech also gives you the option of a mobile phone App that works the same as this remote that you are hating on...and it's offered to iPhone users as well. You might also want to mention that the Revue box come with a wireless keyboard and input device. granted the box is $299...but offers much more than ATV.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartT...iphone-android
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

I like Logitech, but they will regret the day they decided to compete directly with Apple.

The optional "mini-controller" for Logitech's Google TV is more than the Apple TV!!!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartT...ini-controller

Glad I don't have any Logitech stock. (And LOTS of AAPL!)