Next-gen 7-inch iPad to have Retina Display, 128GB storage - rumor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Would it be possible to produce a display with a resolution such that ipad apps would not require any recompilation, or would that be just too expensive?

They could go 25% or 50% on each axis instead of 100% on each axis like they did with the iPhone 4, but it would still need an SDK change and for Apple and devs to adjust for it. It?s probably one of the most inexpensive changes they can do, but it does provide a level of inconvenience.

The system will still work fine but certain elements will need more detail images for the denser pixels. Many things are just better off as bitmaps, from what I hear. I still see iPhone app updates that state that they updated it for the Retina Display and you can easily tell which apps aren?t updated, often by looking at their icons.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    Another rumor... ho-hum.

However, I have been seeing more people just walking around and using their iPads. Starting to look like Star Trek invades real life! Fascinating, Jim!
  • Reply 43 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I am a writer and I do a lot of artwork. I was hoping to use the iPad as a portable computer for writing and drawing and after much testing it basically fails at both (IMO of course).

Could this be a software problem? I don't know because I don't own an iPad yet. Are there choices in the drawing app market? I have noticed that HP is hyping their tablet as a design tool on Project Runway. But I'm never sure whether the fashion design contestants shown using them are just doing it for the camera, or whether they actually find them useful. They are also shown using conventional media for their sketches.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    128GB would be the sweet spot for me. My music collection is around 90GB and I'd love to be able to carry it all around with me.

Would prefer to keep the current 9.7" screen though. Bigger is better for games and video.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    Quote:

How were you planning to do 'serious data entry' without putting the thing down. Or do you just mean it is no good for 'lap work'? I find the iPad good to write on but it has to be set up in its special case. I haven't tried to use a BT keyboard but I suspect it would be fine. ...

The whole point of a mobile computer is to use it while mobile. The whole point of a tablet computer is to use it in your hands while standing. If you have to put it down on a table and put it at a special angle in a special case, or use a special extra keyboard attached to it, then why not just use a laptop?

I currently type between 40 and 60 wpm in thumb-type mode on my iPhone and I write thousands of words a day that way, standing up, while walking or on transit. I just want to do that but in a larger more comfortable format with better software/hardware support (like a simple documents folder that could be accessed without jumping through a dozen hoops would be nice).

I won't get too much into the drawing thing as it gets really subjective really fast, but I want to be able to draw fast, and accurately as if I was using a rapidograph or a standard pen and ink set. David Hockney's lovely blobby watercolour paintings aside, you can't actually do this on an iPad yet. You can do accurate and slow, or fast and messy.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

I won't get too much into the drawing thing as it gets really subjective really fast, but I want to be able to draw fast, and accurately as if I was using a rapidograph or a standard pen and ink set. David Hockney's lovely blobby watercolour paintings aside, you can't actually do this on an iPad yet. You can do accurate and slow, or fast and messy.

You can use one of these:

http://www.tenonedesign.com/sketch.php

And there is an endless list of drawing apps available (which I will not list). Some even for technical drawings. Depending on what you are looking for.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

SD NAND is so slow compared to the NAND Apple uses on-board. I?ll sell my stock the moment Apple announces something like that.

SD NAND is also less reliable and fairly pricey for what you get.

In re: the SDD on the iPad and iPhone. I have been under the impression that the limited iOS support for multitasking was directly related to the use of SSD -- Apple wanted to avoid paging out apps or content due to larger/longer/fragmented writes and reduction in NAND life expectancy.

In thinking about this, the MacBook Air has an SSD option, and this does not seem to be a concern for it.

Without knowing the detail specs for both SSDs, I wonder if it is practical to use a [floating] portion of the iPad SSD as a true virtual memory paging device.

Certainly, a future Dual Core CPU and more RAM would help -- but, with an iOS change, it may be possible to squeeze more capacity and performance from the current iPad with 256MB RAM.

• Reply 48 of 106
    More storage would solve the only real issue I have left with the iPad. Video takes up space, and 16/32/64 is kind of sad.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    I don't believe Apple will go to a 128 GB iPad any time soon.

I think it is more likely that if they introduce a 7" option, they will reduce the number of configurations.

They currenly have 6. I doubt they want to offer 12 choices.

I believe they may reduce the memory options to just 16GB and 64GB.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

What about its functionality has become POS to you after only a couple of months?

Mine has become more valuable to me every day.

I like mine but it does fall a bit behind in usage compared to my other computing devices. I am getting it stocked with new movies for my upcoming vacation for which I think I will use it quite a bit on flights and waiting in airports. Unfortunately I will have to take my MBP as well in case I need to do something technical, so rather than less weight it is actually more that i will have to carry.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In re: the SDD on the iPad and iPhone. I have been under the impression that the limited iOS support for multitasking was directly related to the use of SSD -- Apple wanted to avoid paging out apps or content due to larger/longer/fragmented writes and reduction in NAND life expectancy.

In thinking about this, the MacBook Air has an SSD option, and this does not seem to be a concern for it.

Without knowing the detail specs for both SSDs, I wonder if it is practical to use a [floating] portion of the iPad SSD as a true virtual memory paging device.

Just to be clear, SSDs contain NAND, but iDevices have NAND built directly onto that board. That said, I think SSDs have chips specifically designed for handling desktop OSes with these writes, as well the software option of TRIM that eventually came about.

Also, ?PC?s tend to have plenty of RAM these days so virtual memory/paging isn?t very frequent or done in the same was a SoC with 256MB or RAM would need to do it to run any and all apps the same way. Even if it could I don?t think that is the correct way to run a handheld device moving forward. Apple has done a pretty good job with their multitasking implementation. The only thing I wish they would do is add a badge to icons in the Fast App Switcher that are still actively using RAM. My brother was deleting these apps from there every few hours thinking they were still all running in the background.
  • Reply 52 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

The whole point of a mobile computer is to use it while mobile. The whole point of a tablet computer is to use it in your hands while standing. If you have to put it down on a table and put it at a special angle in a special case, or use a special extra keyboard attached to it, then why not just use a laptop?

I currently type between 40 and 60 wpm in thumb-type mode on my iPhone and I write thousands of words a day that way, standing up, while walking or on transit. I just want to do that but in a larger more comfortable format with better software/hardware support (like a simple documents folder that could be accessed without jumping through a dozen hoops would be nice).

Yes, it gets subjective and I take your point. I guess you have tried many more software solutions than I have. I would have thought that fast and accurate would be hard using your finger. As for the point of a tablet - I am not sure it is as clear cut as you say, but obviousy the iPad is too big for writing while walking. I do it often on my iPhone but keep falling off the sidewalk. A 7" pad might be just the thing, then...
  • Reply 53 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

And there is an endless list of drawing apps available (which I will not list). Some even for technical drawings. Depending on what you are looking for.

Have you tried one? I have tried a similar one which I found to betotally useless - even more inaccurate than finger input.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The bezel is fine. Any smaller and you're holding it with your fingers touching the screen.

The 'bezel too big' thing is as silly as the 'it should be 16:9' nonsense.

I have an iPad and I think both the bezel is far too big (it makes playing games with virtual d-pads completely impossible) and the screen should be 16:9. Watching movies on the iPad with huge black bars above and below the picture is ridiculous, as is zooming it up to old school 4:3 and missing half the film.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

No one has, but I see no reason that a developer could not develop a split, thumb virtual kb for the iPad-- where 1/2 of the kb is on the left, the other 1/2 on the right, and all keys of each, within the span of a thumb. I think that MS showed something like this on one of its prototypes:

http://www.core77.com/blog/technolog...board_3496.asp

Here's a proof-of-concept mock-up for the iPad:

http://blog.42at.com/thumb-keyboard-...t-for-the-ipad

I have a Pogo stylus and it is quite fast and accurate.

They are even working on pressure sensitive software for the iPad:

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/02/press...g-on-the-ipad/

• Reply 56 of 106
    Quote:

The inclusion of ?this rumour? means I?m speculating on ?this rumour? not all rumours. People did mockups of 7? iTablets long before the iPad was ever announced, but I don?t think those previous rumours are necessarily binding to any future rumours because they mention the same size display.

This would be really nice if it turns out to be true. I would like to have a smaller iPad that I would take with me everywhere. Not that teh 9.7 is that hard to carry around but a 7" would be really nice.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Have you tried one? I have tried a similar one which I found to betotally useless - even more inaccurate than finger input.

Yes, I have one. And have used it. It takes awhile to get used to how much pressure is needed. NOt perfect, but better than finger for some situations. Maybe they will improve on the design in the future.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    Quote:

Try the Pogo-- it works fine! I even use it for handwriting recognition with the WritePad app.

• Reply 59 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I have an iPad and I think both the bezel is far too big (it makes playing games with virtual d-pads completely impossible) and the screen should be 16:9. Watching movies on the iPad with huge black bars above and below the picture is ridiculous, as is zooming it up to old school 4:3 and missing half the film.

And crappy for the most common thing people do with tablet devices: read. Apple made the wise choice here.

As for the bezel being too big, My thumbs are already wider than the bezel and it?s smaller than the bezels I?ve seen from many other tablets. What would you have them do, offer a Velcro iPad glove so you can stick to your hand?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No one has, but I see no reason that a developer could not develop a split, thumb virtual kb for the iPad-- where 1/2 of the kb is on the left, the other 1/2 on the right, and all keys of each, within the span of a thumb. I think that MS showed something like this on one of its prototypes:

http://www.core77.com/blog/technolog...board_3496.asp

Here's a proof-of-concept mock-up for the iPad:

image: http://blog.42at.com/wp-content/uplo...g-thumbkey.jpg

http://blog.42at.com/thumb-keyboard-...t-for-the-ipad

That is how I expected the keyboard to come on the then unannounced Apple tablet. I can type crazy fast on the iPhone, but not on the iPad. It?s one handed hunt-and-peck. Maybe when they get the back-panel sensor technology in place they will be able to intelligently sense how you are holding the device to offer the most appropriate keyboard.

Here are some other concepts and a patent filed on this very thing year?s ago:

• Reply 60 of 106
    Quote:

Just to be clear, SSDs contain NAND, but iDevices have NAND built directly onto that board. That said, I think SSDs have chips specifically designed for handling desktop OSes with these writes, as well the software option of TRIM that eventually came about.

Also, ?PC?s tend to have plenty of RAM these days so virtual memory/paging isn?t very frequent or done in the same was a SoC with 256MB or RAM would need to do it to run any and all apps the same way. Even if it could I don?t think that is the correct way to run a handheld device moving forward. Apple has done a pretty good job with their multitasking implementation. The only thing I wish they would do is add a badge to icons in the Fast App Switcher that are still actively using RAM. My brother was deleting these apps from there every few hours thinking they were still all running in the background.

Yes, but... even on PCs, if you are editing a large document, image, video -- the content can easily get to be larger than the available RAM, and some of it gets paged out.

Not too likely to be doing that on an iPad, though.

IMO, iOS multi-tasking could be greatly improved by an optional user setting that limits the number of stopped apps to, say 10-- rather than every app you've ever run.

Another thing, the flow between:

-- running an app

-- stopping an app

-- invoking Spotlight Search or

-- invoking the MT drawer

-- accidentally invoking Accessibility Options (Three-Press the Home Button)

needs work -- it's clunky on an iPad where you tend to do more MT and use more apps than on an an iPhone