Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 221 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Rumour has it this will be the first Macs with 3D displays.

You can't just say the word rumor and then type whatever you want after it.

Quote:

The last reports I read actually had the graphics in SL being worse than in Leopard.

My experience begs to differ, but it's a YMMV thing.

Quote:

If you note that most parts are much higher quality and/or are more specialized than any netbook you can see where the price comes from. Note the Core-i7s in that TDP range cost even more money than the C2Ds Apple has used since the MBA was created.

Incidentally, are any suitable Westmere 25W chips out yet?
  • Reply 222 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't just say the word rumor and then type whatever you want after it.

Rumour has it you can do exactly that.

PS: I did forget my emoticon to denote I was not serious about that sentence.

Quote:

The last reports I read actually had the graphics in SL being worse than in Leopard.

This is the last report I read, which is old, but as I previously stated this will change as the version gets refined. Apple released a major driver update to SL not to long ago and I’m sure that boosted graphic performance in many ways.
    My point stands, each new major update may not be better in every way over the previous version when it’ first released.
  • Reply 223 of 291
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

There are two possibilities.

1. I overslept a whole year.

2. You don't know the current year.

See my previous post where I corrected myself. It was No.3, time travel.
  • Reply 224 of 291
    It wasn't meant to be logical, just sharing my instinctive feeling. We do that here, sometimes...

"Should", as in, how many actually don't want DVD drives in their laptops? If they took it out everyone would be calling Mac laptops "crippled", etc etc.

I take it you're excited about all this 3D hullabaloo? Not me, I'd prefer quality movies rather than doing a nonsense job and then trying to cover it up with 3D, which has been around for decades. I've tried the latest Samsung and Sony 3D TVs at the shop, using the glasses, it's interesting, but way too flickery for me. If they stopped wasting their time with trying to resuscitate dead tech maybe we might see real holographic by the end of the decade... It can't be that far off.

Quote:

There's really no possible way that you could deduce the latter using the former as your logic.

Should as in, 'we don't want them to, but they will,' not should as in, 'it's great and we love it.'

*slow clap* Well, at least until we get sub-$1,000 open-air holographic projection.

Why? There isn't a single other company that has 3G capability in all of its laptops. Why the heck would I want to pay $60 a month for five gigabytes?

• Reply 225 of 291
    Boy, those are some harsh prices for Apple to continue to swallow. AMD could be an option, but maybe not yet. Darn Intel.

Quote:

Rumour has it this will be the first Macs with 3D displays.

I knew it sounded it familiar and had read at least one book as a child and seen the old and new movies. Hey, at least I look stuff up when I don’t know the answer.

That’s certainly reasonable, and I think Apple learned a hard lesson when they tried to release iPhone OS 2.0, the iPhone 3G and MobileMe all the at same time. However, if v4.2 is wrapping up and 10.7 gets pushed to devs right away for the lull during the Holiday months when nothing is released, with the next major beta update coming in 2011. I think they have done something like that before. They don’t even need even focus on 10.7, though 4.2 does look like it’s pretty solid now. That said, I think your scenarios more likely.

The last reports I read actually had the graphics in SL being worse than in Leopard. This isn’t completely unexpected as it’s comparing the latest and most stable version of Leopard to the current version of SL. Of course, that should change with each point update and there are certainly more than enough advancements in other areas that make SL a much better option for most users.

If pricing mostly or solely based on the number of ports a device has then that would be accurate, but ti doesn’t. The MBA has a processor that is more costly than your entire netbook.
    LV/uLV Intel® CoreTM2 Duo processor Mobile (uFCBGA6/uFCBGA8)

SL9600 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2.13 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $316

SL9400 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 1.86 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $284

Intel® AtomTM processor Nettop/Netbook (FCBGA8)

D525 (1M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 1.80 GHz, FSB 45nm) $63

D425 (512K cache, 1 Cores, 2 Threads, 1.80 GHz, FSB 45nm) $42
    You are comparing two very different systems with very different focuses for their respective markets.

If you note that most parts are much higher quality and/or are more specialized than any netbook you can see where the price comes from. Note the Core-i7s in that TDP range cost even more money than the C2Ds Apple has used since the MBA was created.

• Reply 226 of 291
    Quote:

Why? There isn't a single other company that has 3G capability in all of its laptops. Why the heck would I want to pay $60 a month for five gigabytes?

1) Apple does a lot of things other companies don?t do, and they usually do it across the board.

2) You seem to be assuming that to have a notebook that do 3G that you?d have to pay $60/month for 5GB. You also seem to assume that all people are near WiFI or Ethernet that cellular data on a notebook wouldn?t be useful to some people. Those are erroneous conclusions.

3) Cellular data is the most widespread and faster than most public WiFi spots I?ve encountered over the last several years. You can say MiFi or tethering is good enough, and i?m sure it is for many, but having extra products to do a single basic task isn?t unheard of in the tech world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

"Should", as in, how many actually don't want DVD drives in their laptops? If they took it out everyone would be calling Mac laptops "crippled", etc etc.

They would, but that hasn?t stopped Apple before. Apple removed the obsolesced FW400 port interface from all their machines? people complained yet FW400 didn?t. Apple removed 3.5? floppy drives from their machines? people complained but floppy drives didn?t return.
  • Reply 227 of 291
    Quote:

They would, but that hasn?t stopped Apple before. Apple removed the obsolesced FW400 port interface from all their machines? people complained yet FW400 didn?t. Apple removed 3.5? floppy drives from their machines? people complained but floppy drives didn?t return.

I get where you're going with this, but they did bring back FW in the form of FW800 after the complaints... But yeah it is truly gone from the Macbook (not Pro) line.
  • Reply 228 of 291
    By the way, 6 days 3 hours to go!
  • Reply 229 of 291
    Quote:

I get where you're going with this, but they did bring back FW in the form of FW800 after the complaints... But yeah it is truly gone from the Macbook (not Pro) line.

They didn’t bring ‘back’ FW800. The MacBook never had FW800, and still doesn’t, and the MacBook Pros have all had FW800 since late 2006. The point was to remove the obsolete FW400 port interface, and that’s what they did. They never went back on that move.

They did add an aluminum 13” MacBook which had no FW at all, and then making a Mabcook Pro and added FW800, but that’s still inline with my first paragraph.
  • Reply 230 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balert View Post

I just bought a Macbook Pro last night... I knew this would happen. :/

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

As it shows here the MacBook Pros (and MacBooks) are getting close to their update time frame. I would return your Mac and wait and see what happens. How pissed would you be to know they replace the core 2 duo with core i3's and do other good upgrades?

Hopefully there is no restocking fee on it if you return it...
  • Reply 231 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The original Mac OS 7 was very popular and some people stayed loyal to it for years. Windows 7 was also quite popular. Will OS X 10.7 be a success too? Is the 8th major release of an OS the magic number to come up with something people really "love?"

Does the '7' of Windows 7 actually mean ANYTHING? Lucky number that they needed after Vista?
  • Reply 232 of 291
    Maybe it will be called OS X Simba???
  • Reply 233 of 291
    Quote:

They didn?t bring ?back? FW800. The MacBook never had FW800, and still don?t, and the MacBook Pros have all had FW800 since late 2006. The point was to remove the obsolete FW400 port interface, and that?s what they did. They never went back on that move.

They did add an aluminum 13? MacBook which had to FW at all, and then making a Mabcook Pro and added FW800, but that?s still inline with my first paragraph.

I hate it when you're right.

Wow imagine if the Macbook Pro 13" became closer to the Macbook Air, dropping the disc drive, and the MacBook Air becoming the 11" thing.
  • Reply 234 of 291
    Quote:

I hate it when you're right.

I?ve always been indifferent to be right, but I do love to be accurate.

Quote:

Wow imagine if the Macbook Pro 13" became closer to the Macbook Air, dropping the disc drive, and the MacBook Air becoming the 11" thing.

That is what I?m hoping for. I also hope that all Mac notebooks will get GPS and FindMyMac.
  • Reply 235 of 291
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    App Store for the Mac! I think there a lot of worthy shareware authors out there who would love a central place to hock their wares. But the danger is that desktop apps are too complex for Apple to properly safety check, so a trojan might get through. A simple form of sandboxed app might be able to be sold on a Mac App store.
  • Reply 236 of 291
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Maybe I'm not recognizing an obvious hint, but I don't get how you connect the lion with Asia. Lions are the only big cat native to Africa. All the other big cats are from Asia or the Americas, AFAIK. What am I missing here?

Quote:

Not Asian, but Aslan, the name of the lion in C.S. Lewis’ The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. I had to look it up.

Quote:

You had to look it up? Tsk tsk Narnia is a pretty popular movie series (well, two so far, one more coming soon)...

Ha, made my afternoon. Although I have to point out to those that don't know (there will be someone) that the Narnia stories are originally in book form from the 1950s (C.S.Lewis the writer was great friends with J.R.R.Tolkien) and the word "aslan" is Turkish for "lion"...
  • Reply 237 of 291
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uplate View Post

That would make sense, just like all new mac products they are "magical"

Yeah, swivel the MacBook Air screen and have a slightly thicker iPad! I would certainly go for that.
  • Reply 238 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cykz View Post

Yeah, swivel the MacBook Air screen and have a slightly thicker iPad! I would certainly go for that.

That is a very interesting idea. A touch screen interface with OS X, that can be swiveled around so you can still use the keyboard/trackpad. Very interesting idea. I don't think they'll do it, but it is definitely interesting.
  • Reply 239 of 291
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Macbook Air will be shipping in November. 10.7 will come at the earliest January, more likely March. No way Apple is going to try and do iOS 4.2 and something massive like 10.7 at the same time. That's corporate suicide.

I think you are being way too optimistic. March at the earliest, and I would be shocked if it happened then.

My guess would be somewhere between June and November of next year.
  • Reply 240 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Well i was hoping it was going to be Sabertooth. But i guess that will have to wait until 10.8.

Maybe not a good idea to codename a product after an extinct animal.