Apple component allocations point to new form factor sub-notebook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    But I thought netbooks were evil, no?

Appleland: "netbook" = "subnotebook"

The rest of the world: "netbook" = "netbook"

Steve is so high on his recovery drugs these days....
  • Reply 22 of 52
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This rumor comes from Shaw Wu.

It should be on Page 2, not on the front page. The guy's track record is a complete joke.

Shaw Wu's track record makes meteorologists feel embarrassed for him
  • Reply 23 of 52
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The MacBook Air mini would be fantastic. Sign the petition here:

http://macbookair10.net
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

If this guy really knew he was right, he'd be staying mum and quietly investing in touchscreen companies. Instead, he's just blowing hot air.

No, that would likely cost him his job, his securities licenses, fines, and possibly jail time.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, Shaw... you're so dreamy. You're the Danny Kaye of analysts.

This analogy makes me queasy for some reason.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

It's not that hard to comprehend, if Apple can make one worthwhile, they will.

A netbook fits a certain category of compromises for size.

Apple's MacBook Air is its own category of compromises, but far less than a typical netbook.

If Apple can make an 11.6" MacBook Air with standard notebook processor/graphics keyboard and battery, while also making it the lightest and thinnest thing in its category, and also making it affordable (which the current MBA is not), then yea they might have something here.

I think the way its going to be affordable, is that it will compromise a lot more. I think it may even run the A4, or possibly, Apple's next iOS chip, A_?, running at 2GHz, with a gig of RAM, to power iOS on a MacBook Air.

Who knows what they've got in the pipeline.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

"subnotebook" = "subnotebook"

"netbook" = "crappy subnotebook"
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Have to agree that this analysts predictions are way off. Seems as though he is competing with Gene Munster for recognition.

APPLE EVENT will surely bring new products to light as well as new distributors of its IPAD, AT&T and Verizon. As we are entering the holiday season its possible that a new hardware product could be introduced.

My thought is that this is more of a marketing and advertisement event as it will be picked up by many news sources .
  • Reply 29 of 52
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

If this guy really knew he was right, he'd be staying mum and quietly investing in touchscreen companies. Instead, he's just blowing hot air.

ok, i'm DEFINITELY NOT saying he's right, but if he were, and knew the manufacturers, he would have already invested in said touchscreen companies and would be screaming to everyone else exactly who they are.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That's not analysis, that was deduction. Guy listened to Gruber's podcast last night, ha.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing;

I'd be more interested in a 17" macbook air than a 11" one

17" MacBook Air? You so crazy.

In other news, I sold my MacBook Air two months ago and bought two iPads with the money. Good timing or what?
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx;

The MacBook Air mini would be fantastic. Sign the petition here:

http://macbookair10.net

You'll take our 11.6" MacBook Air and you'll like it.

The only way you'll get people to sign that petition is if they were also crying out for a 10.1" MacBook Air. The problem is nobody is. Apple are updating the Air and making it 2 inches smaller, just because they want to. That's what's happening.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

We should track his predictions and see what percentage of the time he is correct.

I've always thought that...some enterprising journalist looking for a story could have their own "cottage" industry reviewing so called "experts" advice and detailing what they said and how it actually turned out.

Not just people like Wu, but magazines like "Money," Or the twits on CNBC, etc.

Best
  • Reply 34 of 52
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I wonder if there is any possibility that Apple might replace/upgrade the Dashboard widgets with an IOS-based Dashboard leveraging touchscreen displays.

It wouldn't be ideal for all IOS Apps, but I can see certain ones like Google Earth, for example, being very easy to use on a full-sized touchscreen.

Perhaps they have a skunkworks where IOS is being compiled for a variety of platforms aside from ARM, such as Intel which would make it a relatively straightforward technology to integrate into full Mac OS X.

I never really got into Dashboard widgets. They were too limited and no one had much incentive to pour a lot of effort making high production value widgets. Now we all own a stable of very well done IOS apps that would be awesome to access on out laptops/iMacs.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

17" MacBook Air? You so crazy.

In other news, I sold my MacBook Air two months ago and bought two iPads with the money. Good timing or what?

Totally off topic, but I sold a 40GB AppleTV in June for $90...how cool is that?
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

I wonder if there is any possibility that Apple might replace/upgrade the Dashboard widgets with an IOS-based Dashboard leveraging touchscreen displays.

I'd put money on it.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Totally off topic, but I sold a 40GB AppleTV in June for $90...how cool is that?

Pretty cool! Good job! I also sold mine last month for $100, my 3Gs for $200 (got a new iPhone 4), sold my original intel MacBook for $286, sold my Casio camera (use iPhone 4 camera now) and gave away all my iPods.

Will be selling my original intel iMac and get a new MBA and then a 2nd gen, iPad 3Gs!

Best

Back to the topic now!
  • Reply 38 of 52
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Retina displays across the line!!
  • Reply 39 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

However the problem with Dashboaord wouldn't be improved by running iOS apps. For many of us Dashboard never really fit our work flow and methods. Regular Mac apps just are far more convient especially if you have a large sceen or multiple screens.

Quote:

It wouldn't be ideal for all IOS Apps, but I can see certain ones like Google Earth, for example, being very easy to use on a full-sized touchscreen.

The problem here is that a full OS/X app with touch support would be much better. You could get the best of both worlds. Still the ergonomics of a touch screen on a laptop is a huge problem.

There are a number of ways for Apple to address this though. One idea floating through my head is a transparent laptop screen that is viewable as a standard screen when oPen and as a touch panel when closed. Actually the screen needs not to be transparent if you use two LCD screens. In this approach OLED might work better. From Apples standpoint it shouldn't be a big deal software wise as all they would have to do is reverse the image. The neat thing is the utility of the machine would increase drastically but remain mechanically robust relative to other convertibles.

Quote:

Perhaps they have a skunkworks where IOS is being compiled for a variety of platforms aside from ARM, such as Intel which would make it a relatively straightforward technology to integrate into full Mac OS X.

This has been mentioned again and again but XCode already does this. Every app built for the simulator is an x86 app. The fact is you can easily run iOS apps on a Mac today if you have the source code. I don't see Apple going public with this technique though as it isn't a clean way to bring touch to the Mac.

Quote:

I never really got into Dashboard widgets. They were too limited and no one had much incentive to pour a lot of effort making high production value widgets. Now we all own a stable of very well done IOS apps that would be awesome to access on out laptops/iMacs.

There are two problems here. One is that dashboard isn't a solution to any pressing problem on the Mac. The other problem is the age old issue of making money off you works.

App store is a tremendous motivator for even minor app developers. Even modest pay backs to developers can result in numerous apps being produced that wouldn't be other wise. Like it or not the locked down nature of iOS and the low impact app store has lead to a very positive platform for developers.

This is one reason why I would like to see an app store come to the Mac. We obviously don't need a locked down platform but a secure and low cost way to distribute apps would be very helpful. Such a facility would lead to Mac's software library tripleing very quickly.

Quote:

Just a thought.

A good thought but honestly I don't see Apple going this route. They will bring touch to the Mac when it is ready. Adding iOS apps to dashboard would be a bust in my mind. To get the functionality of these Mini apps on a Mac requires giving developers an incentive via a framework for profits. Or atleast cheap distribution of their works.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

I'd be more interested in a 17" macbook air than a 11" one

To each his own, but I would love a reasonably priced 11" Air I can travel with.