A closer look at Apple's forthcoming Mac OS X 10.6.5 Update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm actually begining to think that my video card is going bad on my early 2008 MBP. On the otherhand I'm only having problems with Quicktime X and even there it is pretty random.

You my friend, need to research the recently announced class action settlement with Nvidia over bad cards. It affects MBP from 2007 to mid-2008. You might be eligible for a free replacement.

Check it out ...

http://www.cultofmac.com/nvidia-sett...pro-gpus/61338
  • Reply 22 of 26
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Well, neither the new build or the previous release of 10.6.5 makes a jot of difference to the OpenGL engine used in WoW. Framerates take a nosedive when the new water and sunshaft engine is enabled. On the exact same hardware running Win 7 in bootcamp the framerate stays unchanged when the water and sunshafts are on.

Pretty disappointing and not a good sign for gaming on the Mac platform if the drivers perform so poorly compared to running in windows on bootcamp.

That's mainly due to the terrible graphics engine in WoW. It's really, really old and slow. Try Steam games, they run perfectly with max settings.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

You my friend, need to research the recently announced class action settlement with Nvidia over bad cards. It affects MBP from 2007 to mid-2008. You might be eligible for a free replacement.

Check it out ...

http://www.cultofmac.com/nvidia-sett...pro-gpus/61338

Hasn't Apple been fixing these for free regardless of Applecare coverage anyway?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Is this finally going to standardize 10.6 across the hardware spectrum again?

Right now at least the 2010 Mac Minis are running a different build of 10.6.4 than other Macs. They also ran a different build of 10.6.3. For those of us who maintain separate "master images" to deploy in managed network environments.... Let's just say this has been a pain when we got new Minis in.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Happy we'll "resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary"

THAT was getting annoying

Now, if can "fix" the Finder Search Results View Options - i.e. Size, Date Created, et al

You know, how it USED to be in 10.4 and previous

Now, also find it humorous (sadly funny, sic) that after all these years are still problems with Printers

Yeow, Folks still USE printers ?

You know to use a printer you also need Paper - poor trees don't stand a chance

(never forget pictures of 9-11 in NYC after Towers fell - more paper floating around than anything)

And yes, QuickTime has seemed a bit "iffy" in recent years

Only thing I can imagine it's now based on some "new foundation" and will take a while to get back up to the "speed/features/no brainer use" it had in past - we'll see.

In meantime, hardly ever fire up QT anymore - happy to use Handbrake/VLC/et al - let THOSE apps figure out the "under-the-hood-applications/uses" of QT

• Reply 26 of 26