Apple's new MobileMe Calendar out of beta, available to all members

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

OK,

So I have my calendars on iCal, they're all published to mobileme, with changes etc. set to update automatically to mobileme. Why can't I see those calendars at me.com automatically? Seems a little odd to me.

EDIT (Google and apple support site visited)

OK - that is crazy. So instead of doing the obvious and having mobileme sync with my published calendars, I have to duplicate my calendars and use the mobileme ones that appear as duplicates under the main calendar list. That is crazy. Completely counterintuitive. Why can't Apple get this right?

You'd think publishing a calendar to mobile me would do this - but no. That's ridiculous and an appalling user experience.

I now have duplicate calendars, which when all turned on duplicate all my events - nonsense.

I have no idea what you're talking about and I suggest you read the instructions. The duplicated calendars on your mac are no longer needed. You should be working off the cloud (MobileMe) calendars from within iCal (the ones under [email protected]). No need to publish anything.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I have no idea what you're talking about and I suggest you read the instructions. The duplicated calendars on your mac are no longer needed. You should be working off the cloud (MobileMe) calendars from within iCal (the ones under [email protected]). No need to publish anything.

Let me try again.

For several years I've had calendars in iCal. These calendars were each published.

In order to sync these to mobile me, I've had to do the following.

1. Manually recreate each of the calendars under "ON MY MAC" to "*****@ME.COM"

2. Export the existing calendar data from ON MY MAC

3. Import the existing calendar data back into iCal to load data into the ****@ME.COM calendars.

That is RIDICULOUS. When publishing an ON MY MAC calendar the option says "publish on: mobile me" so why does it not appear on my me.com account - i repeat - it's an awful system.

I didn't want to have to start all over again, i wanted to sync my EXISTING iCal calendars, not have to MANUALLY RECREATE them under the me.com account.

And yes, I did read the instructions.

EDIT: Am I also right in thinking that people cannot subscribe to calendars that are on me.com - it was a simple thing on the ON MY MAC calendars, this now appears to be missing. So in order to see my calendars at me.com AND allow people to subscribe to them, I have to maintain two identical calendars. I repeat - this is AWFUL.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmyers2 View Post

I noticed the torn paper as well with the upper left corner being the most obvious. I'm surprised a decision was made to provide a sense of realism in this app considering the direction taken with the iTunes icon no longer including a CD.

Steve said during the keynote, "the CD era is about to be eclipsed by everything digital..." Have computer calendars eclipsed paper calendars?

Never will as long as Apple and others continue to abandon relatively new devices. There's nothing wrong with barely-three-year-old iOS 3.x devices, and they sync with MM in every way except Calendar. So why is the new MM Calendar restricted to iOS 4.x? Makes no sense to me.

Our small business won't even think about replacing them until iPhone is available on Verizon, and probably slowly then.

So I'll continue printing my iCal calendars and update them on the road with a pencil.\

Apple really needs to get hold of reality regarding business use of their products.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    it killed my support for syncing with exchange with makes this retarded
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:

Let me try again.

For several years I've had calendars in iCal. These calendars were each published.

3. Import the existing calendar data back into iCal to load data into the ****@ME.COM calendars.

That is RIDICULOUS. When publishing an ON MY MAC calendar the option says "publish on: mobile me" so why does it not appear on my me.com account - i repeat - it's an awful system.

I didn't want to have to start all over again, i wanted to sync my EXISTING iCal calendars, not have to MANUALLY RECREATE them under the me.com account.

EDIT: Am I also right in thinking that people cannot subscribe to calendars that are on me.com - it was a simple thing on the ON MY MAC calendars, this now appears to be missing. So in order to see my calendars at me.com AND allow people to subscribe to them, I have to maintain two identical calendars. I repeat - this is AWFUL.

if i understand you correctly, you want to sync all your calendars from iCal with MobileMe?

the only thing you have to do here is go to system preferences in mobileme section and sign in with your id and password... under Sync section make sure calendars is selected and Sync is set to Automatically...

when i first moved to MobileMe it was quite easy in this way to sync all the calendars and contacts to keep the backup in the cloud...
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

Let me try again.

Well, I'm not sure what to tell you. Something is definitely screwy with your set up and certainly, you are jumping through hoops that need not be there. I didn't have to do any of that. When I signed up for MobileMe calendar (beta), I just followed the instructions and all my iCal local calendars were moved to the cloud and then put in iCal automatically under [email protected]. Copies of my local calendars were made automatically for backup purposes only--but no longer needed. I just tossed them. Now I just access all my calendars from the cloud through iCal on my iMac, and my iPhone and iPad as well. It's all off the same cloud calendar info via whatever interface the device you are using at the time presents you with.

As for subscriptions, you don't need them any more for your calendars. You use sharing now and you set permissions accordingly. You can allow sharded calendars to be modified or not, email alerts, etc. Much better than subscriptions. The only subscriptions I have now are for things like US holidays, sports team schedules, etc. I don't publish or subscribe to my calendars or those of my wife and family. That model is now defunct with the new calendar. I've been using the the beta for quite some time and it works great so I imagine now that it's out of beta, you should experience no problems whatsoever. A re-read of the set up instructions for iCal may be 5 minutes well spent. Good luck!
  • Reply 47 of 53
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Compatibility with iPhone or iPod touch requires iOS 4.1

Bummer; that leaves my iPod touch "N45" behind.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post

That is indeed the worst thing about this "upgrade".
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heenow View Post

That is indeed the worst thing about this "upgrade".

I'll add that our local Microsoft rep has agreed to attend our small business board meeting next week (just got her email). Too bad we couldn't sync calendars with her.

Apple can only leave us so far behind before we have to make economic decisions regarding the future use of their products, and this calendar thing is a big one.

We are all Intel. We all have iMacs, a server, MacBook Pros (another source of abandonment), and iPod touches. Small businesses can't afford to recycle these things overnight. We were looking forward to Verizon iPhones (flyover America is not an AT&T market).

This Calendar decision by Apple has forced us to reevaluate the entire technology market.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:

We are all Intel. ?, MacBook Pros (another source of abandonment), ?

Not sure what you're saying, especially followed up with:

Quote:

Small businesses can't afford to recycle these things overnight.

Since I'm satisfied using a 2007 MBP, and can't afford to "recycle" it anyway, it doesn't seem like a "source of abandonment".

I know Apple prefers not supporting older hw/sw, but they've seemed particularly aggressive abandoned iOS 3.x.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post

Here's a big surprise for you - if you can take advantage of the same thing that happened to me today. The only device I had that couldn't handle the iCal update was a 1st Gen 32GB iPod Touch like yours. I booked a One To One appointment at the local Apple Store since we have that service and I could get in this morning quicker than with a Genius Bar appointment (we had something else going on later in the day).

The Apple staffer looked at my unit and promptly offered to swap it with a brand new (not refurbished) 32GB 3rd Gen Touch, even though I purchased the old one in June 2008!

The 3rd Gen came with iOS v3 on it, so when I got home, I had to download iOS 4 and then restore everything (Calendar, Contacts, apps) that was backed up in iTunes.

So you might want to take that N45 to a Genius Bar and inquire what they can do for you. Good luck!
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

The Apple staffer looked at my unit and promptly offered to swap it with a brand new (not refurbished) 32GB 3rd Gen Touch, even though I purchased the old one in June 2008!

Nice!

Quote:

So you might want to take that N45 to a Genius Bar and inquire what they can do for you.

Thanks for the suggestion; it's definitely worth a try.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

We were looking forward to Verizon iPhones (flyover America is not an AT&T market).

It is for me.