Verizon to offer data plans for iPad of up to 5GB for $50, with a catch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

People actually carry around an iPad to use a location finder using Maps? Don't people usually have smartphones for that?

My point is, the iPad is too large an ungainly to use as a GPS locator unless you're using it in your car... and even then it's still too large.

Says you!...

As one who doesn't own a smart phone or iPhone, I have my iPad to use maps and apps, thank you very much! AND my data plan puts all these new tiered plans to shame as it only costs me 29.99 a month for UNLIMITED 3G! So there!!

On a side note, before all this smartphone and map apps and stuff came into being, know what us old whipper stappers used to use? That's right! The un-refoldable PAPER maps.

Where did we have these paper maps? In our cars! Our glove compartments more explicitly and who amongst us has gloves in their glove compartment nowadays? On occasion we got out of our car with our paper maps at gasoline stations that used to be staffed by, now hold on to your underwear showing, down by your knees, baggy pants... helpful gas attendants! Who no only pumped our gas and cleaned our windshields but also helped us with our maps to set us right or select an alternative route. When we got to our destination what did we do with our paper maps? We left them in our cars! What did we do without apps to help us find the nearest Starbucks or movie theater or restaurant??? Why we would strike up a nice conversation with the locals! You know... TALKING or what you generation alphabet soup wold call 'Rapping"! What do you young hip-hoppers do? Use an app for that and text message! Hmpf!!! Mr. Magoo, you done it again!

</Sarcastic Rant>

/

/

/
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Once again, Verizon is acting like....well...Verizon.

Honestly, why would anyone pay the same amount of money for a wifi only iPad when they could get a wifi+3G+GPS iPad and not have to carry/charge/connect/configure a separate wifi device? How can anyone think that this is a great option?

You Verizon fans amaze me.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    THis post makes no sense. You start off by saying that Verizon's deal is better then AT&T's deal. Then you go on to say whether people choose AT&T or Verizon depends on preference. If it depends on preference then what makes a better deal depends on who you are and what your needs are. I for one think both companies suck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This is definitely a better deal than AT&T and is best for people who:

1. Planning on buying an iPad

2. Data hungry

3. Doesn't own a mifi

4. Doesn't mind carrying an extra device (small and the size of credit card)

5. Doesn't want to be tied to a (or another on top of their phone) contract

Plus mifi can be used on devices other than an iPad..

Then again whether people choose the wifi iPad on VZ or 3G iPad on AT&T depends on preference and needs.

• Reply 24 of 52
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Says you!...

As one who doesn't own a smart phone or iPhone, I have my iPad to use maps and apps, thank you very much! AND my data plan puts all these new tiered plans to shame as it only costs me 29.99 a month for UNLIMITED 3G! So there!!

On a side note, before all this smartphone and map apps and stuff came into being, know what us old whipper stappers used to use? That's right! The un-refoldable PAPER maps.

Where did we have these paper maps? In our cars! Our glove compartments more explicitly and who amongst us has gloves in their glove compartment nowadays? On occasion we got out of our car with our paper maps at gasoline stations that used to be staffed by, now hold on to your underwear showing, down by your knees, baggy pants... helpful gas attendants! Who no only pumped our gas and cleaned our windshields but also helped us with our maps to set us right or select an alternative route. When we got to our destination what did we do with our paper maps? We left them in our cars! What did we do without apps to help us find the nearest Starbucks or movie theater or restaurant??? Why we would strike up a nice conversation with the locals! You know... TALKING or what you generation alphabet soup wold call 'Rapping"! What do you young hip-hoppers do? Use an app for that and text message! Hmpf!!! Mr. Magoo, you done it again!

</Sarcastic Rant>

/

/

/

Whipper stappers?
  • Reply 25 of 52
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

These high prices are stilfing innovation.

$50 a month stifling innovation? Really?

just a MONTH ago they made 5gb on a USB stick $80
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Honestly, why would anyone pay the same amount of money for a wifi only iPad when they could get a wifi+3G+GPS iPad and not have to carry/charge/connect/configure a separate wifi device? How can anyone think that this is a great option?

I was really surprised to see the prices match up exactly, but I think it is the only way for Apple to be seen as not favoring one carrier over the other. The other thing is that there are advantages to the Verizon MiFi, namely that you can connect multiple devices to it, whereas the iPad+3G cannot currently tether.

If you only have an iPad, then the AT&T setup is more convenient, but if you already have multiple devices, adding a MiFi shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:

People actually carry around an iPad to use a location finder using Maps? Don't people usually have smartphones for that?

My point is, the iPad is too large an ungainly to use as a GPS locator unless you're using it in your car... and even then it's still too large.

We carried our iPad around for map info this summer. We never felt it was too large. Plus the oldest child would use it, ad the youngest used the iPod touch.

For GPS, the larger size is great and I picked up an iPad specific version
  • Reply 28 of 52
    i'm glad i hacked my phone to get free tethering.. i already pay for data, why another charge? who's the real thief here?
  • Reply 29 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I've seen this mentioned a few times today. Why does this even matter?

I believe you are sincere in asking this question but you have to understand it is rather silly. GPS is needed by people that use apps that work with GPS.

Quote:

What apps are you using that would require GPS on a regular basis?

Whatever fits the users particular needs. Again a silly question in my opinion, GPS can be used for many things.

Quote:

And can't the iPad do Wi-Fi triangulation to get your location?

Uh no, if you are out of range of WiFi connections you have no position info what so ever.

More importantly you don't get the required precision with the alternatives. The difference is so dramatic that again I'm surprised it even gets asked.

In any event learn to think outside the box or at least think while standing in the shoes of others.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

Exactly, you said it better than I did! Thx.

Uggggh! Verizon.

I sold my HDTV and my AppleTV and told my Cable provider to stick it up their nose.

I will just stay with my iPhone 4, a WiFi iPad, one of the new MBA's and tell ATT to stick it up their nose, too!

No way would I have anything from Verizon! Thanks Verizon, you've made my decision a lot easier! Stick it up your nose!
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Yeah the lack of real aggresive competition is a huge problem. I have to wonder how many pennys it cost the cell companies to transmit 5GB of data.

Quote:

Honestly, why would anyone pay the same amount of money for a wifi only iPad when they could get a wifi+3G+GPS iPad and not have to carry/charge/connect/configure a separate wifi device?

There are all sorts of reasons really. For example:
    1. Better local coverage.

2. Corporate discounts!

3. The expectation that 3G usage will be intermittant. Personally i think this one is a mistake.

4. The use of the MiFi device for other devices.

5. The WiFi only iPad should last longer on a battery charge.

Quote:

How can anyone think that this is a great option?

It isn't a great option for me but for others I can see the advantages. For example say you are a parent with youngsters using iPads. You can force them to use WiFi around the house but have an easily managed 3G option for travel. There are ways of viewing this positively if you want to.

Quote:

Well no there are just people with different perspectives here. Personally I would not buy an iPad without cell data support of some type. That doesn't mean others would want that capability.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    This is ludicrously ridiculous!!

Just buy a contract-free MIFI device from Virgin Mobile Broadband instead!!

Virgin Mobile Broadband offers cheaper prices, no contract, and unlimited data!!

Fsck Verizon, go Virgin!!
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Exactly, you said it better than I did! Thx.

Well I don't agree with him totally.

Quote:

Uggggh! Verizon.

I sold my HDTV and my AppleTV and told my Cable provider to stick it up their nose.

Good for you! I dropped cable years ago and hardly watch TV at all anymore. The money saved is huge. Especially after I got rid of my phone land line also. People don't realize the negative impact these companies have on personal wealth. For some it is thousands of dollars per year or to put it another way a Carribean vacation every year.

Quote:

I will just stay with my iPhone 4, a WiFi iPad, one of the new MBA's and tell ATT to stick it up their nose, too!

I'm still on my 3G iPhone and trying to milk it until the next rev. However when it comes time to buy an iPad I will get one that supports 3G. As long as their is no contract the intermittant expense would be worth it. Of course if the new MBA is available with the same data option I might go that way. The point is maintaining control over ones expenses.

Quote:

No way would I have anything from Verizon! Thanks Verizon, you've made my decision a lot easier! Stick it up your nose!

I had a Verizon pay as you go account before getting my iPhone. If you have good service in your area AT&T is a far better company to deal with. There is no doubt in my mind there as Verizon appears to be run by jackasses.

Still you have to admit they are a better option for some people.

My only concern here (knowing Verizon) is what is the catch? Will the MiFi unit be locked to the iPad somehow? I really don't trust them to be ethical here.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    Quote:

Not in California, where it's even illegal to have a closed laptop in the front passenger seat area.

Quote:

Yeah, the iPad is just a giant iPhone and serves no purpose. Who would ever want to view a map on a larger display than an iPhone's?
  • Reply 35 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Actually, I've use WiFi triangulation on my WiFi-only iPad tethered to my iPhone 4 and if you're within a city area, it's surprisingly accurate. There are a lot of WiFi networks out there that an iPad can detect but doesn't see as worthy enough to connect to for data transmission.

Wifi location will tend to be more accurate than cellular triangulation, but not as accurate as GPS and without the accurate tracking of GPS. Wifi location doesn't require access to any wifi network. There's nothing about being "worthy enough" to connect involved.

Wifi location will tend not to work at all while traveling in the country. Verizon may "have you covered" out there, but cellular triangulation sucks compared to GPS.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Whipper stappers?

You spell it out while pronouncing it without your partial in your mouth and see what you come up with!

Mr. Magoo
  • Reply 37 of 52
    I wonder why there is no flatrate contract available at Verizone or AT&T. With our provider we pay like 35$ per month flatrate. For sporadic users there is even the option to have a contract that charges you per day of usage with 5$ but on that day you will have access w.o limit. Maybe we just have a healthier competition amogst mobile providers. The iPhone and the iPad runs on 3 different networks.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    I know that your "site" is about the iPad but you have now spammed here as well as the CNET boards. STOP!!
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

If you have a smart phone and are paying for a data plan, why would you want to pay for and carry a mifi, rather than tether through your phone?
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yeah the lack of real aggresive competition is a huge problem. I have to wonder how many pennys it cost the cell companies to transmit 5GB of data.

It depends what costs you are including. Do you count the $20 billion spent to aquire the spectrum licenses? How about the almost $20 billion per year more spent on network improvements including radios, towers, backhaul expansion and so forth. How about the $10+ billion spent maintaining and operating the network? If you leave that stuff out, customer support, marketing and a reasonable profit to reward investors for giving them the 10's of billions to invest, then yes, it costs very little to transmit 5GB of data.

Or think of it another way. If is costs so little to offer 5GB of data transfer, and there are so many people willing to pay $50 a month for it, why aren't componies tripping over each other to get into this business? Why aren't you getting into the network business? Go ahead, raise a few billion in funding and then sell data bandwidth at $10 for 5GB and see how long you last.