Sources: Apple to unveil revamped 11.6-inch MacBook Air next week

Comments

• Reply 81 of 176
    This device sounds fantastic. Finally a true portable. The 13.3" screen is too big for a portable.
  • Reply 82 of 176
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

this sounds expensive until you think about it as the same hardware as the iPad, in a clamshell with a keyboard.

1 GHZ / 512mb / 32gb for $799

1.2GHZ / 512mb / 64gb for $999

128gb BTO

That kinda sounds like an underpowered netbook at three times the price.
  • Reply 83 of 176
    I am very worried about that 11.6 display...

won't it be too small? The only way I can see it not being small is if it's not 16:10. I sure hope apple do the right thing and add a 4:3 ratio one, really the vertical real estate of the 11.6 will be atrocious otherwise.

But then again apple are prone to a few idiocies (such as that horrid glass on the imacs and lappies) so I think they won't have the right aspect ratio in, which will be a shame.
  • Reply 84 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

But then again apple are prone to a few idiocies (such as that horrid glass on the imacs and lappies)

Still in the "glossy sucks" crowd, eh? Quit whining.
  • Reply 85 of 176
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,337moderator
    When Apple brought out the MBA, people said the footprint was too big, especially for airplane tables. Apple said they chose 13" because netbook screens were small and the keyboards cramped.

If they drop to 11.6", they will probably have to drop the resolution down from 1280 x 800 to 1024 x 640.

On the plus side, it will be very light and a PCI SSD will be cheaper than 3rd party. If they use 25nm direct from the manufacturer, they can get decent capacities at close to $1 per GB. They can easily do a 300GB model.

Core 2 Duo + 9400M is expected (320M might be too much heat/power) and I like Apple ditching Intel's IGPs. It's a shame to miss out on faster CPUs but it's no big deal. If they can squeeze a 320M in there, even better.
  • Reply 86 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If they drop to 11.6", they will probably have to drop the resolution down from 1280 x 800 to 1024 x 640.

Every 11.6" screen on a notebook/netbook today is 16:9 and 1366x768.
  • Reply 87 of 176
    Quote:

More likely 1366 x 768. (Edit: beaten by FuturePastNow.)
  • Reply 88 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

When Apple brought out the MBA, people said the footprint was too big, especially for airplane tables. Apple said they chose 13" because netbook screens were small and the keyboards cramped.

That certainly would give more room for those tiny cramped seat back trays on planes. And if they make it a tablet, too, you could have even more options for playing video. So far, the iPad is great for such things, but being ?productive? on a flight isn?t one of its strong points if you need a typical PC app for business.

Quote:

I don?t get this. Why? 1280x800 sounds reasonable to me. It puts it around both the PPI of the high-res MBP displays and the iPad. In fact, it sounds too coincidental not to be expected..

Quote:

On the plus side, it will be very light and a PCI SSD will be cheaper than 3rd party. If they use 25nm direct from the manufacturer, they can get decent capacities at close to $1 per GB. They can easily do a 300GB model.

25nm would be nice, but I doubt we?d see more than 256GB in such a machine. I?d thin it will be regulated as a satellite computer therefor not needing excessive storage.

Quote:

Core 2 Duo + 9400M is expected (320M might be too much heat/power) and I like Apple ditching Intel's IGPs. It's a shame to miss out on faster CPUs but it's no big deal. If they can squeeze a 320M in there, even better.

I?ll be shocked if they use the same CULV C2D tech in the current MBPs. I?m fully expecting Core-i chips.
  • Reply 89 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Every 11.6" screen on a notebook/netbook today is 16:9 and 1366x768.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

More likely 1366 x 768. (Edit: beaten by FuturePastNow.)

You think Apple will drop 16:10 which is already short enough as it is, for a 16:9 display that is even shorter? I don?t think so.
  • Reply 90 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You think Apple will drop 16:10 which is already short enough as it is, for a 16:9 display that is even shorter? I don?t think so.

16:10 would be preferable to 16:9, I agree.
  • Reply 91 of 176
    Quote:

Proprietary storage is not cool, Apple.

Why is that so?
  • Reply 92 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

That kinda sounds like an underpowered netbook at three times the price.

i hope its around 500 dollars and sells like mad so that companies like ASUS will lower their prices on netbooks so i can get a sweet price.
  • Reply 93 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i hope its around 500 dollars and sells like mad so that companies like ASUS will lower their prices on netbooks so i can get a sweet price.

For those prices it would have to use ARM or Atom. I can?t see either one of those for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 94 of 176
    Quote:

I don't know what Apple will do, but that's what all the 11.6" screens on the market are.
  • Reply 95 of 176
    Quote:

I don't know what Apple will do, but that's what all the 11.6" screens on the market are.

Exhibit A: Everything about the HW Apple used in their tablet.

It’s just a WVGA display with a 11.6” ratio. While it’s more common for 12.1” displays, it’s a ratio that is certainly used more than the 4:3 display that they smartly brought back for the iPad.
  • Reply 96 of 176
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:

I?ll be shocked if they use the same CULV C2D tech in the current MBPs. I?m fully expecting Core-i chips.

prepare to be shocked. MacNN is reporting that they will still be using Core 2 chips.

Here is the link.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ut.use.core.2/
  • Reply 97 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

prepare to be shocked. MacNN is reporting that they will still be using Core 2 chips.

Here is the link.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ut.use.core.2/

I certainly understand the Intel and Nvidia issue, but that will not go over well even though there are some pros and cons between sticking with C2D or moving to Core-i.
  • Reply 98 of 176
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Or we'll have gotten beyond using a 19th century input technique that's intentionally designed to be inefficient.

Seems to me there's a good reason the input method has persisted for so long. If we really want to predict the future on text input we need to come up with another, better, silent method for getting the text you want on the screen. Speaking won't cut it. No one wants to bear you writing and editing your paper.

So what would it be? Short of mind reading or tracking your eyes on the screen as the hover over letters, or ??? Typing will be around for a loooooong time.
  • Reply 99 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I love my 15" MBP but this sounds really tempting. I'm leaving on a long vacation next month and I'll be bringing along my iPad and also my MBP which is more weight than I carried last year due to the addition of the iPad, but with the new Air I can get all the functionality I need from a notebook as well as much less weight.

How does Apple do it? They continually bring out new products with the minimum amount of overlap so that I am compelled to buy all of them.

Is "long vacation" code for going to prison?
  • Reply 100 of 176
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Awesome, can't wait to see the new macs. I like the iDevices, but Macs are still essential for me, so seeing apple having a Mac focused event is very encouraging.