Apple to target Flash with video iAds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Can anyone out there tell me if H.264/HTML5 is a battery drainer like Flash? My battery life is cut in half or worse when I run Flash videos.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

Can anyone out there tell me if H.264/HTML5 is a battery drainer like Flash? My battery life is cut in half or worse when I run Flash videos.

If you are comparing videos in H.264 in both HTML5 and Flash then HTML5 is considerably more efficient.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Just shows APPLE is doing what it has to do to keep up and surpass the competetion. HTML5 is coming up in popularity and purpose.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I don't think anyone's touched on the obvious implication...

iAds for Apple TV.

Absolutely. iAds for Apple TV is the way Apple can bring down the price of content. This has been covered before but the idea of the free ad financed OS which had some people here going into a rage because they envisioned their iPad or iPhone being hijacked by iAds was in fact a possible (in my opinion, likely) indication of how the Apple TV will work in the future.

One day, if we can subscribe to content packages from Apple, the opportunity for advertisers to target their ads will be so much better than at present. That reality is still ways off for all sorts of business reasons (the now antiquated looking business model of how content is distributed through cable and satellite co's), but we can all see the inevitable way forward.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Just shows APPLE is doing what it has to do to keep up and surpass the competetion. HTML5 is coming up in popularity and purpose.

It shows that Apple thinks of Adobe and flash as being undeserving of their success and is taking a jab at them when nobody else seems to want to.

This will serve to either get Adobe in line and give us a better product, or simply take down an already weak and lazy competitor.

I don't think flash will go away completely, but rather both standards will get supported in future browsers. Adobe, in their infinite wisdom, will wait too long to respond the right way, and by the time they can make something as good as what Apple brings to the table, they will be unseated from their thrown.

Bottom line is, the competition will work in our benefit
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple have to come up with an application for designers and creators that does all the above without having to be a real programmer. The HTML5 equivalent of Director if you will. Apple cannot leave this to Adobe obviously and I don't see who else there is these days.

Fully agree
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It shows that Apple thinks of Adobe and flash as being undeserving of their success and is taking a jab at them when nobody else seems to want to.

This will serve to either get Adobe in line and give us a better product, or simply take down an already weak and lazy competitor.

I don't think flash will go away completely, but rather both standards will get supported in future browsers. Adobe, in their infinite wisdom, will wait too long to respond the right way, and by the time they can make something as good as what Apple brings to the table, they will be unseated from their thrown.

Bottom line is, the competition will work in our benefit

Yeah... Adobe is really in the catbird seat -- they, better than anyone, could provide the tool an IDE that non-techy pros could use to develop Flash and HTML5 solutions -- satisfying both camps.

Unfortunately, I think that Adobe would rather win a battle than the war!

FWIW, I just looked and ADBE market cap is under $15 Billion

• Reply 28 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... Adobe is really in the catbird seat -- they, better than anyone, could provide the tool an IDE that non-techy pros could use to develop Flash and HTML5 solutions -- satisfying both camps.

FWIW, I just looked and ADBE market cap is under $15 Billion

I partially agree although I don't want Adobe doing this, and as I said at the top of the thread ... who else is there? Sad to think back to the early days when there were so many great companies developing for Mac, when desktop publishing was the paradigm shift. Then again I think back to how so many jumped to Windows and went after volume and stabbing Mac users in the back. So again I say this time around I'd rather Apple did this. As Soli says, most likely iLife will add this. If it does it will be consumer level only though, the equivalent of Claris in DTP ... I would like to see that AND a pro version from Apple with full media database support, equivalent to Final Cut Studio and Server.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What about the Dreamweaver HTML 5 Extension?

"This extension provides initial support for HTML5 and CSS3 in Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, and helps you easily create HTML5 designs and CSS3 styles. It also includes updates and WebKit improvements for Design View and Live View rendering."

Do I have this wrong? I'm not a developer.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

"This extension provides initial support for HTML5 and CSS3 in Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, and helps you easily create HTML5 designs and CSS3 styles. It also includes updates and WebKit improvements for Design View and Live View rendering."

I read the license. It is currently closed to third party. But yes dreamweaver would be the obvious package if it opens.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, great. Now we can see dancing monkeys, flashing stars, and blinking letters on our iPhones. I just can't wait.

this, is what I've been saying all along. I'm not sure what revolution people were hoping for.

Throughout internet history, we have always been annoying by dancing monkeys stating with animated gifs. It makes no difference what the technology is, the end result generally, is annoyance, bad code, and general "make you want to throw your device threw the window."
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

ahhhh... not to mention the html 5 extensions for illustrator? Indesign?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, great. Now we can see dancing monkeys, flashing stars, and blinking letters on our iPhones. I just can't wait.

Aren't those things patented to google
  • Reply 34 of 34
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The first thing I thought when I saw my first Nissan Leaf iAd was "This is almost cinematic."

The first thing I thought was "How is this any different from any other damn web ad"?!

I mean, really. So what?

I see that shit already everywhere. I don't click on banner ads. I will never again click a banner iAd.