Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg back in talks over Ping

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I second that. Facebook is the devil. I for once would love to use something that has no tie to Facebook. You are almost forced to have a Facebook account these days.

Why? I tried it for a few months, wasted way too much time, deleted it - which is a well-hidden option but exists, and haven't looked back. If you don't want a facebook account, don't have one.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

I second that. Facebook is the devil. I for once would love to use something that has no tie to Facebook. You are almost forced to have a Facebook account these days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Why? I tried it for a few months, wasted way too much time, deleted it - which is a well-hidden option but exists, and haven't looked back. If you don't want a facebook account, don't have one.

No kidding. What is it with the sheep mentality? Unless you feel the need to have your life opened up online, why bother? Just say NO! If you like to communicate with your friends, there is email, phones, and (shocking) talking in person! None of which require you to kowtow to Facebook management, who are NOT in business to make life better for you. Make no mistake, they are in business to make profit, and that requires them to push everyone to make as much of their personal information public. Just say NO!
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Silicon Valley is cool. I mean, here you have an area, about 100-square miles, in which honchos from some of the most powerful companies on the planet can just drive (or walk) over to each others' houses for a chat and a stroll.

It's a good thing Seattle is far, far away. I can't picture Ballmer hanging out in downtown Palo Alto, lest he starts doing silly little backflips on the sidewalk and behaving like Nicholas Cage in [insert any Nicholas Cage film title].
  • Reply 24 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's too bad that Steve is wasting his time on these social networks when he has such an ability to do useful stuff.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's too bad that Steve is wasting his time on these social networks when he has such an ability to do useful stuff.

I don't consider securing the future of the company a waste of time. And presumably nor does Steve.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Facebook is a joke! It is nothing but a server where you can post pictures, videos and blog.

Yeah, there are 500 million users(so they say) but so what. People migrate from once concept to another.We're in the digital domain folks.

And Facebook doesn't have a monopoly on participation. And Zucker doesn't control those people. They can do what ever they choose and go where ever they want. Apple just wants an easy "IN" to a captive audience. Period. End of.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I have a facebook account only because everyone else does.

I don't use it to share what I'm actually thinking because of concerns about security and that something I say write may come to bite me in the ass.

I think most people use their presence on facebook as "a performance".

Those are the three things that I hate most about facebook.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64

No kidding. What is it with the sheep mentality? Unless you feel the need to have your life opened up online, why bother? Just say NO! If you like to communicate with your friends, there is email, phones, and (shocking) talking in person! None of which require you to kowtow to Facebook management, who are NOT in business to make life better for you. Make no mistake, they are in business to make profit, and that requires them to push everyone to make as much of their personal information public. Just say NO!

Ah, thanks for the reminder.

I'd been thinking that Facebook is stupid for some time (I only joined up a short while ago). Facebook messaging is crap compared to email, and chat is crap compared to iChat, and ... why does anyone use it at all, actually?

BTW, you can actually delete your account (not just "deactivate" it). I didn't bother trying to find a way to do that on the facebook site though — I googled :-)
  • Reply 29 of 45
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Apple need to create an open social platform. As an investor and developer, it is one of the few areas of concern regarding Apples future prosperity.

PS: I developed a social music platform myself which I believe is similar to what Apple were trying to achieve with iTunes, if you need help Apple I would be more than willing to get out of cold England what with winter approaching

And how successful were you with it? While Ping may be a good idea, I personally don't see Ping being crucial to Apple's prosperity.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Ping is horrid! Run Zuckerberg!
  • Reply 31 of 45
    so what was for dinner then? one can visualise the menu: cannellini bean burgers wrapped in organic lettuce purple leaves, served with starch free steamed french fries and all washed down with flat, sugar free pepsi cola, yummy
  • Reply 32 of 45
    ping 192.168.0.1
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Ugh. I hate to see Apple working with that toad. Facebook is a plague on the Internet.

No Ping for me.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

so what was for dinner then? one can visualise the menu: cannellini bean burgers wrapped in organic lettuce purple leaves, served with starch free steamed french fries and all washed down with flat, sugar free pepsi cola, yummy

I don't know, but I rather take my chances then eat that shit, but that's just me.

I'm SURE that if I was in Steve or anyone else's shoes, and I had a new liver or any other body part, I'd gladly eat what ever I needed to, to live a longer, happier life, but are they connected?

Skip
  • Reply 35 of 45
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Pointless.

I'm generalizing here, but kids in their 20's have little or no respect for 'old farts' like Jobs.

They have a sense of entitlement and believe they know everything and never wrong.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

It is wrong to use Facebook. Close your account and walk away. There's something called real life. Not this cold, dystopian vision of interacting with avatars on some electronic Matrix.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Pointless.

I'm generalizing here, but kids in their 20's have little or no respect for 'old farts' like Jobs.

They have a sense of entitlement and believe they know everything and never wrong.

Good perception. It's a generational difference. I've come to the same conclusion, that we are a product of our generations.

BTW, I've heard it called "Gen Y syndrome". Don't recall who coined the term.

Steve isn't "old" in the sense that he is somehow out of touch or out of date. He is physically old as in "time moves in one direction and we are genetically designed to age" old.

Steve is driven, but not because he's full of himself, but because he has a one track mind about changing the world with "insanely great" products. It's a hippie thing (Steve's generation). If Zuckerberg looks up to anyone, it's probably Bill Gates. That's what I think, anyway.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

Personally, I wish Steve Jobs would squash Mark Zuckerberg like a bug.

I couldn't agree with you more. But manners and ethics don't seem to be "in" these days.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colinh View Post

Ah, thanks for the reminder.

I'd been thinking that Facebook is stupid for some time (I only joined up a short while ago). Facebook messaging is crap compared to email, and chat is crap compared to iChat, and ... why does anyone use it at all, actually?

BTW, you can actually delete your account (not just "deactivate" it). I didn't bother trying to find a way to do that on the facebook site though ? I googled :-)

You're very welcome! Usually I feel like these discussions are for naught, so it's nice to see someone receptive to a nudge like this. (Of course you had to already be thinking along those lines, but it still feels good).

Now, pass it on! :-)
  • Reply 40 of 45
    A fundamental difference between Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg is that Jobs is a visionary genius who understands how to motivate his people to make great products. Love him or hate him, Steve has earned the respect of the industry. Mark Zuckerberg may be a computer genius, but he's no visionary. He became the world's youngest billionaire by creating a data mine in the guise of a "social network". Ironically, the world's biggest social network was created by a social dweeb—he understands how to create software that connects people, but he doesn't understand how to connect with people himself. Zuckerberg has made boatloads of money, but he hasn't earned anyone's respect, IMHO. He's kind of a 21st century, nerd-version of a young Charles Foster Kane.