Why the Apple hate?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Why would you toss it - when 4 year old Mac's have such a massive value on EBay?

C.

What if said GPU is broken? How much would Apple charge for a replacement vs. the cost of tossing it out and buying a whole new machine?
  • Reply 42 of 59
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

What if said GPU is broken? How much would Apple charge for a replacement vs. the cost of tossing it out and buying a whole new machine?

Split it up. Sell it for parts. You'll probably get more than you paid for it.

I just looked on EBay at the cost of iMac G5 replacement parts. Amazing!

Macs hold onto their value like Randy Quaid holds onto his freedom.

C.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:

Split it up. Sell it for parts. You'll probably get more than you paid for it.

I just looked on EBay at the cost of iMac G5 replacement parts. Amazing!

Macs hold onto their value like Randy Quaid holds onto his freedom.

C.

But if the vast majority of people aren't going to tinker inside their machines, what makes you think they are going to crack open their Mac and start doing the very same thing?
  • Reply 44 of 59
    Quote:

But if the vast majority of people aren't going to tinker inside their machines, what makes you think they are going to crack open their Mac and start doing the very same thing?

Yes. Some people don't like dealing with lots of fiddly components.

This is probably why they prefer to buy ALL IN ONE COMPUTERS - rather than a bunch of stupid ugly separates.

C.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Quote:

Yes. Some people don't like dealing with lots of fiddly components.

This is probably why they prefer to buy ALL IN ONE COMPUTERS - rather than a bunch of stupid ugly separates.

C.

Right, so they buy an AIO at the expense of upgradability and repairability, which makes them ultimately more wasteful? At least we agree on that point! It's just ironic that that sort of wastefulness comes from a company who likes to toot their own environmental horn, all the while knowingly selling products that trap people into the throwaway culture we know and love.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:

Right, so they buy an AIO at the expense of upgradability and repairability, which makes them ultimately more wasteful? At least we agree on that point! It's just ironic that that sort of wastefulness comes from a company who likes to toot their own environmental horn, all the while knowingly selling products that trap people into the throwaway culture we know and love.

Take a look on EBay. People are still buying 8 year old iMacs.

Now try and find an 8 year old Dell. You will not, because the Dell and its Monitor are in a Landfill.

C.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:

Take a look on EBay. People are still buying 8 year old iMacs.

Now try and find an 8 year old Dell. You will not, because the Dell and its Monitor are in a Landfill.

C.

I think we need to rewind here, as a few issues are being mixed together.

Let's say I have a 4 year old iMac. The screen is fine, the processor is fine, the RAM is fine, the hard drive is fine, but the GPU is a lame duck for the newest games released on Steam I want to play. The only option I have is to toss the whole iMac, even the parts that are still perfectly fine, to get that more powerful GPU. That means Apple's suppliers have to manufacturer a whole new screen, processor, RAM, hard drive, motherboard, chassic, box & storage and shipping costs, just so I can get a more powerful GPU. That's incredibly wasteful. It doesn't matter what happens to the old Mac, whether you toss it in the bin, or sell it on, whatever, it's that a whole new everything has to be made just to update/fix the one part. And that is the core philosphy of a company who likes to trumpet their environmental credetials. If they actually truely gave a damn about the environment as per the impression they like to give, they would have a thorough and comprehensive program of upgrades and fixes available for individual parts in each of their hundreds of shops. However, that would affect their bottom line way too much, so environmental awareness very much plays second fiddle to profits. This is why companies like Dell and HP are much higher up on the list of 'green' companies, even though it's Apple who make the most noise about their so called 'greeness', and hence I chuckle everytime I see that

The alternative is to not buy a new iMac, and compromise on the game itself.

I post in a number of forums, and the feeling I get is that some people 'hate' Apple because of the mass fanfare around everything they do, and the apparent lies spouted by, and coersive nature of, a Mr S Jobs. A few people seemed to pick up on when Jobs said the iPhone was the first mobile phone with video calling at the recent 'Back to the Mac' event and questioned why and how he gets away with lying like that. Just look at how the claims about the external aerial on the iPhone 4 backfired spectacularly, at least in PR terms.

I think a lot of it is cultural. Apple is a very 'traditional' American company. They are loud, brash, over-confident and aren't in the least bit embarrased about talking about how amazingly great they are. I think with a lot of cultures that doesn't sit well, and is probably why it's only with the increasing Americanisation of the world that Apple has started to be more successful outside of the US as those types of behaviours become more acceptable. However, I guess for some people that type of outlook is just very unappealing, and might not be the sort of company they want to deal with, just like if Apple were a person it might not be the sort of person you'd want to be friends with. That's cool, and that's fine. But that's exactly why Apple are so successful.

As a Sociologist, I think it would make for an amazingly interesting study!
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Let's assume the alternative to an all-in-one is to buy a desktop tower, with a separate monitor and a separate speaker package.

This means three lots of casing. Three individual power supply units. - each complete with mains step-down transformers. The resulting system is obviously more wasteful in terms of construction and much more wasteful in terms of power consumption over its lifetime.

All in one iMacs tend to be laptop-class components which run cooler (use less power) and are less prone to the thermal breakage in desktop machines.

Macs also have longer life and higher resale value which tends to keep them out of landfill for much much longer than their PC equivalents.

Your scenario about the supposed broken GPU is possible. But is not TYPICAL.

A more typical scenario is a tower case PC being discarded in its entirety after 4 years or less. And the monitor also being discarded. Not because it has ceased to work, but because 17" screens are being replaced with 20"+ panels.

C.

Here's the only list of Green companies I could find. Not that I think these lists have much credibility.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...r-Electronics/
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:

Let's assume the alternative to an all-in-one is to buy a desktop tower, with a separate monitor and a separate speaker package.

This means three lots of casing. Three individual power supply units. - each complete with mains step-down transformers. The resulting system is obviously more wasteful in terms of construction and much more wasteful in terms of power consumption over its lifetime.

All in one iMacs tend to be laptop-class components which run cooler (use less power) and are less prone to the thermal breakage in desktop machines.

Macs also have longer life and higher resale value which tends to keep them out of landfill for much much longer than their PC equivalents.

Your scenario about the supposed broken GPU is possible. But is not TYPICAL.

A more typical scenario is a tower case PC being discarded in its entirety after 4 years or less. And the monitor also being discarded. Not because it has ceased to work, but because 17" screens are being replaced with 20"+ panels.

C.

Here's the only list of Green companies I could find. Not that I think these lists have much credibility.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...r-Electronics/

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/18/g...companies.html

You'll find Apple a distant 65th. Or 19th out of technology companies.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/18/g...companies.html

You'll find Apple a distant 65th. Or 19th out of technology companies.

I am not sure if Newsweek is a credible environmentalist organisation.

But then I am not sure if Greenpeace is either.

C.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:

I am not sure if Newsweek is a credible environmentalist organisation.

But then I am not sure if Greenpeace is either.

C.

Newsweek's at least looks fairly in depth. But I probably wouldn't truely believe either!
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:

Newsweek's at least looks fairly in depth.

So why do they have BP at number 17?

C.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Quote:

So why do they have BP at number 17?

C.

Purchase the full report and find out?
  • Reply 54 of 59
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Purchase the full report and find out?

Don't need to after the greatest environmental disaster in history was caused by BP. Not to mention they skirted all of the rules and regulations and have been sited as being in violation of environmental laws on several other occasions besides just this year.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Uh, getting back semi-on-topic,

Quote:

It's just ironic that that sort of wastefulness comes from a company who likes to toot their own environmental horn, all the while knowingly selling products that trap people into the throwaway culture we know and love.

Bingo again!
  • Reply 56 of 59
    I began my journey to the Apple products universe back in 2007 and ever since have no more complains about my home and work computer. I believe the very underlining reason for Apple haters phenomena is the fact, that the majority of people, who use Apple products and happy about it don't post here or on any other forums :-) They just use product and live their lives being submerged in their other problems.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Don't need to after the greatest environmental disaster in history was caused by BP.

Erm...

Do yourself a favor and Google "Bhopal".

C.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Quote:

Erm...

Do yourself a favor and Google "Bhopal".

C.

While you're at it Google "Chernobyl"
  • Reply 59 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

the greatest environmental disaster in history was caused by BP.

Not by a long shot, Adonis: