Lawsuit forces HyperMac to cease sale of Apple-patented charging cables

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    F*ck you, Apple!

This only harms your customers and makes the Mac platform less appealing.

What, exactly, does Apple have to gain here? Nobody selling products using the cables claims to be Apple Inc. All they do is make Apple products more valuable?at no cost to Apple!

This is SO idiotic! C'mon Apple, why do this? Help me help you

I'm glad I got my car charger when I did. Now all I have to do is pray it never needs replacing, at least before some kind man in China starts flooding eBay with a similar device and earns my cash by giving Apple's lawyers the middle finger.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I'd like to support you, but your posts in this thread don't mesh with the standards that reasonable people would expect of a moderator. People who hold the gavel in a discussion are expected to help maintain order, not incite dissension. The moderator's responsibility is to moderate. In legislative assemblies, those who preside over debates are expected to step aside from that role if they want to express personal opinions or participate in partisan arguments.

I'm not the only moderator on this forum.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    I wonder if there are other ways around this, like providing a plug for and asking your customers to buy this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB441Z/A

If they reduced their prices by 49.00, they'd avoid the whole licensing issue and provide customers with the same end result.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'm not the only moderator on this forum.

True, but you are the one who used the objectionable phrase ... when with just a little more effort on your part you could have gotten your point across without to stooping to the levels of some of the more outrageous posters around here.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I have said this before, there is clearly a reason that apple will not license the connector to anyone.

The primary reason I see is safety, they do not want people charging their batteries anywhere except where you can plug it into a AC wall outlet

Bzzt: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY
  • Reply 46 of 53
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I'd like to support you, but your posts in this thread don't mesh with the standards that reasonable people would expect of a moderator.

This is an Apple rumor site, not the US Congress. Nor a friendly home to the overly pedantic. Don't let the keyboard whack you on the way out!
  • Reply 47 of 53
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

These wont recharge the battery, only provide power to the laptop. The recharge wiring in the magsafe is deliberately disabled.

It seems like the easiest work around is to provide a battery with an empower port if Apple won't license the magsafe connector. It won't recharge a flat MB/MBP but if you start with a full charge you can get the same number of hours.

However, given the comments, the reason the product is being pulled is to allow for negotiations in licensing the magsafe connector.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Boy your talented there to leave out the part I acknowledge that apples has an airplane adapter however it does not charge the battery.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

However, given the comments, the reason the product is being pulled is to allow for negotiations in licensing the magsafe connector.

I do not believe Apple will license the connector, the reason I say this is that apple and Igo have had a long term relationship and they said they Apple would not agree under any terms to license the Magsafe connector to them.

I would buy Igo over any one else, they by far have the most useful product and I use it all the time when I travel. The interesting piece is that Igo will not charge dell computer either, it just provides power, and again they said Dell will not allow charging.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I would buy Igo over any one else, they by far have the most useful product and I use it all the time when I travel. The interesting piece is that Igo will not charge dell computer either, it just provides power, and again they said Dell will not allow charging.

Like I said, an empower port, assuming they could license that, might be the best work around. Given that's pretty obvious I'm guessing they can't license that either.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

I do not believe Apple will license the connector

+1

Apple has turned to the dark side and their self-flagellation will continue until falling revenues and stock prices make them come to their senses.

Again, what is Apple's interest in making the Mac some desert archipelago?

BTW, this doesn't appear to be stopping entrepreneurs in China from making various magsafe chargers en masse. SOMEONE is making them, and it isn't Apple. Hell, based on one product I bought, it may be made by the same manufacturer who makes them for Apple!

It's almost as if Apple was determined to eliminate external batteries for MacBooks because it would somehow be admitting that non-swappable batteries was a bad idea. I imagine Steve Jobs, smelling his armpits like the general in the Monty Python skit Mr. Neutron
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

+1

Apple has turned to the dark side and their self-flagellation will continue until falling revenues and stock prices make them come to their senses.

Again, what is Apple's interest in making the Mac some desert archipelago?

BTW, this doesn't appear to be stopping entrepreneurs in China from making various magsafe chargers en masse. SOMEONE is making them, and it isn't Apple. Hell, based on one product I bought, it may be made by the same manufacturer who makes them for Apple!

It's almost as if Apple was determined to eliminate external batteries for MacBooks because it would somehow be admitting that non-swappable batteries was a bad idea. I imagine Steve Jobs, smelling his armpits like the general in the Monty Python skit Mr. Neutron

I personally do not believe this has anything to do with Apple keeping third partied from making a product or money. I believe this is purely a safety issue.

Guess what Apple can not keep Chinese companies form making a knock off product and selling it to people like you and if it malfunctions on a plane and cause a serious issue, then you will have to explain your actions live with yourself, and Apple can stand high and say they did everything they could to keep this situation from occurring, but idiots want to buy China crap they are responsible for their actions
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:

I personally do not believe this has anything to do with Apple keeping third partied from making a product or money. I believe this is purely a safety issue.

So, in your view, Apple was worried that hypermac's product would make MacBooks catch fire?

You're making Amiga users look sane by comparison!