Apple's new MacBook Air has 8-10hr battery, upgradeable RAM - rumor

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New alleged details of Apple's anticipated MacBook Air refresh have surfaced, with a report claiming the thin-and-light notebook will offer 8 to 10 hours of battery life, as well as upgradeable RAM.

Citing an anonymous source, Cult of Mac reported Monday that the base model will sport 2GB of RAM, but that number can be upgraded. The current MacBook Air does not offer the option to upgrade RAM.

The source also indicated that the notebook will be smaller, but will still offer a battery 50 percent larger. This will increase operating time on battery to between 8 and 10 hours, up from the current model's 5-hour battery life.

The report also corroborated details reported Saturday by AppleInsider that the new MacBook Air will be offered in two sizes: an 11.6-inch screen, and a 13.3-inch display. The source also indicated that the 13-inch model could be priced as low as $1,100, while the 11-inch model could be just $999.

Contradicting the claim of upgradeable RAM is a recent photo of a purported prototype of the new notebook, which showed the device with memory soldered on to the motherboard.

The report also indicate that the solid state drive on the device will be upgradeable. Sources have told AppleInsider that the new device will feature an "SSD Card" that lacks a traditional drive enclosure, and will instead more closely resemble NAND flash. However, it was said the storage will not be easily user replaceable and will be based off of an SATA connection.

Cult of Mac also reported that the new MacBook Air could come in two different configurations: a 2.1GHz processor with 2GB of RAM, and a 2.4GHz processor with 4GB of RAM. It also said that the notebook will sport Nvidia GeForce 320M integrated graphics, a GPU first introduced this April in the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

The report also included a mockup of the device, which is said to be "thinner, lighter and boxier than the current model," according to author Leander Kahney.

Other details from the site's source:

The quick boot time on the new MacBook Air is said to be "unbelievable" and "amazing."

The new model has an aluminum unibody design, but is "not as curvy" as the current model. The source indicated it is "boxier" like the iPhone 4.

For inputs, the source indicated the device has two USB ports, an SD card slot on the right side, and a Mini DisplayPort adapter on the left side.

Apple's Back to the Mac event will be held this Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage. For more, see earlier reports:

Sources: Apple to unveil revamped 11.6-inch MacBook Air next week

More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    Overall I think this will be an exciting new take on the Air !

Cannot wait for Wednesday
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New alleged details of Apple's anticipated MacBook Air ...

That mockup looks more like fantasy than reality. According to the rumours it *doesn't* have the black glass bezel but instead has the same bezel as the original Air, and according to the picture from yesterday it has a curved bottom like the old one too.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    What a piece o'work are those AppleOutsider's editors!

Quote:

However, it was said the storage will not be easily user replaceable and will be based off of an SATA connection.

Washington State University:-

``Similarly, you can build something off of a starting point, but you can’t base anything off of anything. Something is always based on something else.' '

Quote:

...and will instead more closely resemble a stick of RAM

ressemble Ã*
  • Reply 4 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Citing an anonymous source, Cult of Mac reported Monday that the base model will sport 2GB of RAM, but that number can be upgraded. The current MacBook Air does not offer the option to upgrade RAM.

[...]

However, the report also indicates that the solid state drive on the device will be upgradeable. This contradicts with a recent photo of a purported prototype of the new notebook, which showed the device with memory soldered on to the motherboard.

Sources have told AppleInsider that the new device will feature an "SSD Card that lacks a traditional drive enclosure, and will instead more closely resemble a stick of RAM. However, it was said the storage will not be easily user replaceable and will be based off of an SATA connection.

Cult of Mac also reported that the new MacBook Air could come in two different configurations: a 2.1GHz processor with 2GB of RAM, and a 2.4GHz processor with 4GB of RAM.

Has AI mixed up RAM and NAND in the article? From the presumed prototype MoBo this new MBA will have non-upgradable RAM.

Also, is there a reason why a proprietary SATA connection would be used over a proprietary mini-PCIe connection for storage.

Quote:

For inputs, the source indicated the device has two USB ports, an SD card slot on the right side, and a Mini DisplayPort adapter on the left side.

From the presumed image it looks like the SD card and mDP are both on the right side, along with one USB port, with the left side containing the MagSafe, USB and what I assume is a 3.5mm audio in/out jack under come circuitry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That mockup looks more like fantasy than reality. According to the rumours it *doesn't* have the black glass bezel but instead has the same bezel as the original Air, and according to the picture from yesterday it has a curved bottom like the old one too.

That is how I would expect it, though I'd personally be more interested in more battery.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Much as I love the look the trackpad area of the machine as depicted looks impossibly thin. Even thinner than the normal alu keyboard. Can't wait to see what'll be.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    The mock up look fugly. I intensely dislike the glassy screen.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    10 hour battery? Wow.. Hopefully the next MacBook Pros have 12+ hours!
  • Reply 8 of 59
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    "This contradicts with a recent photo of a purported prototype of the new notebook, which showed the device with memory soldered on to the motherboard."

The SSD in the prototype was removable, it plugged into a tiny socket (of which there are two on the motherboard, suggesting a mini-PCIe connector).

The RAM in the prototype was soldered on however, so maybe the comment was misplaced in the article.

I could see that Apple could have made that RAM removable (SODIMM) in the months since that prototype was built, so I wouldn't hold too much faith in the prototype resembling the new design.

Why only 2GB RAM? Probably to hit a price point of $999. I guess:

11.6" MacBook Air: 1280x800 display, 8 hours battery, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD - $999 ($1099 4GB, $1199 128GB)

13.3" MacBook Air: 1440x900 display, 10 hours battery, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD - $1299

Whither the MacBook non-Pro? Maybe a price reduction to $899, or total eradication.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The mock up look fugly. I intensely dislike the glassy screen.

Really? The glass screens look great.. The bottom is fugly however..
  • Reply 10 of 59
    The rumors keep getting closer and closer to what I would like to see. 4GB, 2.4GHZ, 320mNvidea, 10hour battery, 128Gb hd, 12inch form factor, under 1200$ Is this really a possibility?

add on a contract free data plan and you will have me poop my pants for joy.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Gosh, I wonder if that will be like the newer MacBook Pro's, with the 8-9 hours...that last about 2-3?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Whither the MacBook non-Pro? Maybe a price reduction to $899, or total eradication.

Right now, there is too much overlap between the 13 MacBook Pro and the white MacBook. The Pro is a better value, unless you are fascinated by the scratchy white plastic. I think Apple will discontinue the white MacBook and replace it with a $999 aluminum unibody MacBook without the optical drive. Thinner, lighter, with built-in flash storage (say 64GB) that will have the OS and key programs. Data to be stored on a removable hard drive. 2GB RAM upgradeable to 4GB (if one slot) or 8GB (if two slots). No firewire. No IPS screen. Maybe called Air, maybe not. 13" screen and 11.6" screen as the current rumors seems to predict.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

"This contradicts with a recent photo of a purported prototype of the new notebook, which showed the device with memory soldered on to the motherboard."

The SSD in the prototype was removable, it plugged into a tiny socket (of which there are two on the motherboard, suggesting a mini-PCIe connector).

The RAM in the prototype was soldered on however, so maybe the comment was misplaced in the article.

I could see that Apple could have made that RAM removable (SODIMM) in the months since that prototype was built, so I wouldn't hold too much faith in the prototype resembling the new design.

Why only 2GB RAM? Probably to hit a price point of $999. I guess:

11.6" MacBook Air: 1280x800 display, 8 hours battery, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD - $999 ($1099 4GB, $1199 128GB)

13.3" MacBook Air: 1440x900 display, 10 hours battery, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD - $1299

All this sounds very reasonable to me.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Gosh, I wonder if that will be like the newer MacBook Pro's, with the 8-9 hours...that last about 2-3?

iStat menu shows flash increasing my temperature by 50 degrees, and dropping my battery life significantly. Perhaps you should try eliminating flash from your mobile needs?

I think it would be great if the new lineup included USB 3.0? Anyone think this is a possibility?
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Is there any more evidence that the event on Wednesday will also include a MacBook Pro update?
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slowdive View Post

Is there any more evidence that the event on Wednesday will also include a MacBook Pro update?

i would really hope the 13" mbp have a processor upgrade. core 2 duo still? gotta get rid of that!

and whats up with the imac using the cheaper dual channel i7? you pay a lot for those things they should at least have the better hardware....
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slowdive View Post

Don't think so. If memory serves, the MBPs were bumped up a few months ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Get it replaced; it's clearly defective.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i would really hope the 13" mbp have a processor upgrade. core 2 duo still? gotta get rid of that!

Couldn't agree more- my bet would be (when they next get updated) an i3 White MacBook and either an i3 or i5 13-inch MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    I think that the 11.6 could cannibalize (yeah, that's the right word) iPad sales.