Apple profits soar 70% on record sales of 14.1M iPhones, 3.89M Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have a gut feeling Apple will untether the iPad from a mother PC / Mac by launching an iTunes in the cloud. A new purchaser will be able to contact and sign up (if no account) via WiFi or perhaps even at Apple's expense to sign up via some arrangement with the carriers. Once this happens the iPad is a PC like it or not in terms of definition. That makes Apple the number one PC maker. The sky is the limit after that.

Yeah, 100 million devices next year is just if they pretty much keep doing what they're doing. Already, the sharply expanded iPad distribution is likely to lead to an absolutely huge Christmas quarter coming up.

Additional iOS devices, price cuts, broader distribution, iOS enhancements and enhanced services such as you describe could drive sales far beyond what we've seen to date.
  • Reply 42 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Android isn't a company.

And the company that makes it, charges zero for it. Is that a rival?

C.

Would there be any Android phones without it? ! Is Microsoft Windows a rival to Apple ...? Of course it is the Dells and HPs that are the rivals but without an OS these last few decades they would have been pretty noticeable by their absence! The cost of the OS is interesting, I believe Google could have been charging and still had a hit but that is a different discussion.
  • Reply 43 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Good for you - in the days when every article about Apple included the word 'beleaguered' I thought of buying. Apple still had millions of loyal users and (probably through ignorance) I was certain Apple would pull through. Unfortunately I didn't feel I could put all my money into any company let alone a beleaguered one, no matter how certain I was that its imminent death was exaggerated. I was wrong on more counts than one but oh how I wish I had sunk every penny in to stock. Makes me wanna cry.

Well I did sell all my shares in an Apple based company and resign as CEO of in the early 1990s so my belief in Apple wavered but in my defense Steve wasn't there. I have never sold off any AAPL though.
  • Reply 44 of 114
    strange duplicate
  • Reply 45 of 114
    Quote:

I was not being specifically accurate merely cheering someone up with the term 'It never fails ... sigh' as in 'it often happens'. Lighten up will ya

Sure, sure. Sorry.

I suppose I've got a knee-jerk reaction to expressions of certainty about random events.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Good for you - in the days when every article about Apple included the word 'beleaguered' I thought of buying. Apple still had millions of loyal users and (probably through ignorance) I was certain Apple would pull through. Unfortunately I didn't feel I could put all my money into any company let alone a beleaguered one, no matter how certain I was that its imminent death was exaggerated. I was wrong on more counts than one but oh how I wish I had sunk every penny in to stock. Makes me wanna cry.

Those of us who endured endless ridicule for being Apple loyalists during those dark days, and who also put our money where our mouths were all those years ago, are enjoying the sweetest sort of revenge.
  • Reply 46 of 114
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Has MSFT ever had over $20B revenue in this same quarter? Are analysts projecting MSFT over $20B for this same quarter come 28-OCT-2010?

Pretty sure they've not quite made a $20Bn quarter - Holiday quarter last year (Q2) was $19Bn. Apple has just pipped them for the year. MS made $62.5Bn for the FY ending July 2010 while Apple just did >$65Bn. MS still more profitable but unsurprising since the vast majority of their profit is from software only.

It is mind boggling that Apple can approach their profitability on largely hardware sales - it is absolutely unprecedented. Not even Nokia in its near-monopoly days could pull this.
  • Reply 47 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Pretty sure they've not quite made a $20Bn quarter - Holiday quarter last year (Q2) was $19Bn. Apple has just pipped them for the year. MS made $62.5Bn for the FY ending July 2010 while Apple just did >$65Bn. MS still more profitable but unsurprising since the vast majority of their profit is from software only.

It is mind boggling that Apple can approach their profitability on largely hardware sales - it is absolutely unprecedented. Not even Nokia in its near-monopoly days could pull this.

Thanks for these facts. It is truly astounding. Add in Apple has not even begun to make inroads into the various markets yet (excepting iPods).
  • Reply 48 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sure, sure. Sorry.

I suppose I've got a knee-jerk reaction to expressions of certainty about random events.

NP. I should not write in a way that assumes people can read my mind English is a difficult language especially with UK and American versions flying around.
  • Reply 49 of 114
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Would there be any Android phones without it? ! Is Microsoft Windows a rival to Apple ...? Of course it is the Dells and HPs that are the rivals but without an OS these last few decades they would have been pretty noticeable by their absence! The cost of the OS is interesting, I believe Google could have been charging and still had a hit but that is a different discussion.

It is a difficult one for that and other reasons. Apple really competes with Dell, HP, HTC, Samsung etc. and none of them can hold a candle on their own to Apple's financial performance (the subject of the day).

RIM gets mentioned since they are the largest smartphone-only purveyor (Nokia sells everything) and are a good comparator for Apple. You could mention HTC or Moto but it wouldn't even be close.

Android as a platform is obviously a competitor but the evidence so far is that it is not really impacting iOS much. The high-end sales are going to Apple haters, geeks or people who can't get iPhone on their network so few actual lost sales there and the rest of the sales are cheap Androids which Apple has no interest in competing with and comes with much lower content/app sales and lower profitability to the OEM.

Android is inherently a low profitability platform for everyone (except Google) and even for Google, it is a low revenue platform - estimated at $10 per user per year currently.
  • Reply 50 of 114
    With the huge drop in the after-hours trading, it leads me to believe our economy may actually be recovering... we're back to the old pump and dump routine that was common pre-recession/depression. Ah, just like the old days...
  • Reply 51 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

With the huge drop in the after-hours trading, it leads me to believe our economy may actually be recovering... we're back to the old pump and dump routine that was common pre-recession/depression. Ah, just like the old days...

Yep that was my take. I am sure we will see 320 in a few months though.
  • Reply 52 of 114
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Should've bought when shares were 80 bucks
  • Reply 53 of 114
    c-rayc-ray Posts: 40member
    Quote:

It never fails ... to drop after an ER ... I abbreviated assuming my meaning was obvious as it related to the comment I was replying to.

I assume that could be attributed to insiders wanting to sell and take profits. They may be prevented from selling just prior to earnings being released (as they already know what the numbers are). Once the numbers are out, their agents are free to move blocks of stock.
  • Reply 54 of 114
    Quote:

Android is inherently a low profitability platform for everyone (except Google) and even for Google, it is a low revenue platform - estimated at $10 per user per year currently.

And therein lies a nice (for us) parallel between this whole Google OS and 3rd party hardware and MS and the same. None of them are making enough money to compete with Apple's R&D or marketing (excepting Google and MS).
  • Reply 55 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Should've bought when shares were 80 bucks

What have you been doing for the last 2 years?
  • Reply 56 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thanks. I was researching it but I?m a slow network right now. Lots of pages timing out, though luckily the conference call is holding strong.

I figure it?s less than a year before AAPL beats MSFT in profit per quarter, which (as you stated) is remarkable since one focuses on HW sales and the other SW sales.
  • Reply 57 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c-ray View Post

I assume that could be attributed to insiders wanting to sell and take profits. They may be prevented from selling just prior to earnings being released (as they already know what the numbers are). Once the numbers are out, their agents are free to move blocks of stock.

Ouch! I have no idea but that sounds plausible as one factor. It happens too often ... not always though ... not to have some logical causation.
  • Reply 58 of 114
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and...

... as always...

AAPL gets hammered after hours...

What do you mean "as always"? It always goes up after hours.
  • Reply 59 of 114
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c-ray View Post

Nope. Insiders have a very short period in which to trade, and it's FAR from any earnings date.
  • Reply 60 of 114
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Ouch! I have no idea but that sounds plausible as one factor. It happens too often ... not always though ... not to have some logical causation.

Yep, let's go sacrifice a virgin to keep the sun coming up too.