Steve Jobs squashes rumors of smaller, 7-inch iPad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fkscreennames View Post

sick effort in trying to derail this thread brah \

yeah you got it steinberg, my purpose was to derail this thread, that's my modus operandi here, derailing threads for no reason. Of course you conveniently forget that I wasn't the one who made the analogy of said politician to Steve to begin with.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

His assertion is wrong. A 6" screen is plenty big to provide a richer user experience than the iPhone offers.

I remain convinced that Apple knows there's a huge untapped market out there, but in typical Apple style they are moving slowly and want to establish themselves in the full size tablet market before tackling the note pad market.

Until then my money is staying in my pocket.

That's not the point. a 30" screen will provide a richer user experience than the iphone, but can it fit easily on a phone? No. That's the point.

(and we are not talking here about 6 inches, we are talking about 7".)

Anyone who bothered reading a bit and trying to think their way into the ergonomics and screen sizes of a potential tablet, back when it was just a rumor, knows enough to confidently say that the screen size apple chose (after years of research and thinking about it) is just about right. I would have preferred it a bit larger to tell you the truth. But as is it's a good compromise between size, weight, slimness, battery life, usability, etc. etc.

This size is here to stay. Maybe the iphone will grow in screen size a bit in the future, but the ipad will only get slimmer, more powerful, and have less weight, and hence become more portable. It's slimness factor will make all the difference. Since a 7" device is as pocketable as a 9" one, there's no point in sacrificing as much screen real estate, development for diff. size screens, battery life, etc. etc. just to make another device that's not really pocketable either. As soon as the ipad becomes lighter though, and slimmer it will outweigh whatever potential weight advantages a 7" might have had, and it will be end of story and period then.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed.

disagreed
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Steve is right. Even though I still think the iPad is too large to carry around in public, Many of the apps wouldn't make sense on a 7 inch screen. When I first got my Kindle 3 I had to adjust to how much smaller the screen was!
  • Reply 65 of 66
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Steve, is lying. I can say for a fact that I would much prefer a 7 inch Ipad and I would go so far as to say that I'd be willing to pay 600 or so bucks for it on the low end. 7 inches is like the perfect size for my needs. However I do have the 9.7 inch Ipad and I do like it alot. The only thing that would make it better if it was at a little bit more manageable size. 7 inches sounds perfect.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I don't follow SJ's logic. How many app's are there for the 3.5" iPod/iPhone?

I don't want a cheaper iPad just a smaller one. I use my iPad as a 'sofa computer' for surfing the web, playing games and reading books in the living room. It would be nice to also have something smaller/lighter to slip into my coat pocket when I'm travelling. The iPhone works well but I find the screen that bit too small for some things.

Will be interesting to see how well the 7" tablets from Samsung, etc sell.

Samsung Galaxy is crap! That's all I am allowed to say on that one.