Wall Street wowed by Apple's iPhone sales, cautious on iPad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

The goofballs do not have the monopoly on manipulation. The same mentality exists throughout the system and with some of the big players.

Lets take premarket for instance, it would not take a fortune to skew the price before open to affect buying decisions. Now I know that people consider manipulating AAPL via this method and others because I have been in a room of investors who have discussed the benefits of such an orchestrated 'manipulation'.And how relatively easy it would have been given the relatively small volume of trades. Fairly certain we are not the first investors to consider this. Fairly certain it's common place to try and maximise profits via an array of psychological techniques. Some techniques are not illegal. Some push it till it's illegal but don't get caught. Others get caught. People are corrupt, it's a fact of life. And just because it's illegal, does not mean people don't do it. They just try not to get caught.

Dealing drugs is illegal but people still take the risks for profit. Why do you think the financial world would be any different?

The Yahoo goofballs being at the extreme low end of all this, but vocal and visual, hence why I pointed them out as easy transparent examples. The goofballs are akin to a crack dealers walking the streets, easy to point out and blatant.

There's nothing quite like a vague, sweeping assertion to really make an argument sing.

Believe it or not, people can buy and sell stocks whenever they like and in whatever quantity they can afford (or not afford, in the case of margin buying). This activity is not manipulation, it is buying and selling. As you say, it's not illegal or immoral. If it was, the markets would not function as markets. So what you term manipulation is the ordinary functioning of the markets, as nearly as I can tell. What beyond ordinary buying and selling you are suggesting is going on here is entirely unclear to me.

Even more importantly, except for day-traders, none of this so-called "manipulation" matters.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

There's nothing quite like a vague, sweeping assertion to really make an argument sing.

Believe it or not, people can buy and sell stocks whenever they like and in whatever quantity they can afford (or not afford, in the case of margin buying). This activity is not manipulation, it is buying and selling. As you say, it's not illegal or immoral. If it was, the markets would not function as markets. So what you term manipulation is the ordinary functioning of the markets, as nearly as I can tell. What beyond ordinary buying and selling you are suggesting is going on here is entirely unclear to me.

Even more importantly, except for day-traders, none of this so-called "manipulation" matters.

Oh I give in. You are performing the straw man.

My point is that there is a thin line between what can be called market forces and what is illegal. Clearly many of the 'goofballs' are acting illegally, but they are such small fry the authorities just leave them alone. But the mentality does not stop there. It is endemic throughout.

If you believe that there is no corruption in the system then you are naive beyond redemption.

I wish we lived in your squeaky clean world, but unfortunately we don't. Actually no, I'm pretty happy as it is, I know damn well that that spin is coming (even when in reality the news couldn't be better) and I know when, and I short. I know roughly when the positive spin begins and I make money on the way up also. Infact I make more riding the spin waves than I do writing apps for IOS so I'm happy with the world the way it is.

Anyhow thats it till next quarter, see you in three months
  • Reply 63 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Oh I give in. You are performing the straw man.

My point is that there is a thin line between what can be called market forces and what is illegal. Clearly many of the 'goofballs' are acting illegally, but they are such small fry the authorities just leave them alone. But the mentality does not stop there. It is endemic throughout.

If you believe that there is no corruption in the system then you are naive beyond redemption.

I wish we lived in your squeaky clean world, but unfortunately we don't. Actually no, I'm pretty happy as it is, I know damn well that that spin is coming (even when in reality the news couldn't be better) and I know when, and I short. I know roughly when the positive spin begins and I make money on the way up also. Infact I make more riding the spin waves than I do writing apps for IOS so I'm happy with the world the way it is.

Anyhow thats it till next quarter, see you in three months

I suppose by your reckoning if I held my hand up in the sky I could be accused of snuffing out the sun. It's a fine line, after all. The point, if it wasn't obvious, is that you have to have the actual power to commit the act. Delusions of grandeur don't count in anybody's book. Okay, maybe in yours they do.

A "squeaky clean world?" Talk about a pure straw-man argument. That one takes the cake.