Apple.com leaks confirmation of iLife '11, new MacBook Airs, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. Then it isn't using an SSD. Remember it's not supposed to have a hard drive at all? The I/O is the bottleneck, so what if Apple just put a 16GB NAND chip on the logic board for the OS?

Won't make much difference. An iPad still takes 10 seconds to boot up when doing a restart, and can do instant-on from the moment the iOS is loaded up. A MacBook takes a while longer to boot up, but also has instant-on and stays that way until restart, so that point is moot. Unless I don't get what you are talking about.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am more interested in iLife 11 than the MBA to be honest. No mention of mystery app or iWeb so far ... I hope this isn't all about iPad versions. I love iPad but hope this is all about Lion and new OS X apps today. The title back to the Mac would encourage me to think so

I'll most likely be buying iLife `11. I skipped '09 but would like to get the facial recognition in iPhoto. Hopefully they've uncrippled iMovie, iMovie HD still works but its UI feels out of date.

Will we see an iWork update as well?

I'm really hoping there's some good user & UI stuff shown off for 10.7. As others have said, 10.6 was about under the hood; now lets see a new paint job!

- Jasen.

P.S. 3 1/2 hours to go!
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:

Core 2 and a real GPU is better than i3 and Intel's crap. Get over it.

It's a MacBook Air, not a Pro. It's not designed to scorch benchmarks. Silly idea to stick outdated chips into your sleek, advanced laptops.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:

Doesn't the MBA have the ability to mount external drives over wifi and thus would have them mounted thus require or at least justify a dismount / eject key? I could be totally wrong never having played with one.

Yes, off course if does. And you also mount your iDisk and dmg files and consequently colud eject them with the eject key. But I have never seen anyone doing that to be honest. I only use the eject key to get a CD/DVD out of the drive. Don't ask me why...

My point is: you don't need that button at all. There are at least 3 different alternative ways to eject a drive, so why waste precious space on a small device for a fourth alternative?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's a MacBook Air, not a Pro. It's not designed to scorch benchmarks. Silly idea to stick outdated chips into your sleek, advanced laptops.

Well, I don't really see people doing CPU-intense work on a MBA, do you? But I see them wanting to watch a youtube video without their MBA sounding like a jet engine... C2D + 320m is definitely the better option compared to Core iX + Intel graphics for my uses and I think for most people that are in the market for MBA.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You can't stick an i3 in there instead?

The numbering of the Core-iX chips doesn?t denote clockspeed or TDP. There is only ONE with the TDP that would even be viable and I don?t think that is even on the market yet. It?s the Core-i5 and Core-7s that you probably mean, of which there are 4 and 5 chips, respectively, that fit into the necessary TDP.

But that is beside the point because to go with a Core-iX chip in that machine would also mean relying on Intel HD for the IGP. The better tradeoff is C2D with Nvidia 320M.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterRRRRRR View Post

Control-Shift-Eject turns off the screen. Handy for battery conservation.

Been a Mac user since 8.6 on a Lombard. Didn't know this shortcut, and I love my keyboard shortcuts!

Thanks!
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

My point is: you don't need that button at all. There are at least 3 different alternative ways to eject a drive, so why waste precious space on a small device for a fourth alternative?

When it comes to a physically mounted drive I can see the need for an eject button. Since Apple uses slot loading drives, not a tray loading drive with a nifty physical button on the door, they needed to have something in place in case you couldn?t get the OS loaded to eject discs.

If they are removing the SuperDrives from the market (maybe just allowing 3rd-parties pick up the slack) then perhaps they will replace the button. Apple was the first to replace the unused PF keys with functional buttons and completely get rid of the pointless, fn-access number pad. Some might even say Apple is too quick to alter their keyboard setup.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

You say it's not designed to scorch benchmarks but then you complain about it not having the latest chip.

I love these people. They make my argument for me.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:

You say it's not designed to scorch benchmarks but then you complain about it not having the latest chip.

That does seem contradictory.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When it comes to a physically mounted drive I can see the need for an eject button. Since Apple uses slot loading drives, not a tray loading drive with a nifty physical button on the door, they needed to have something in place in case you couldn?t get the OS loaded to eject discs.

Does the eject button actually work before the OS is loaded? It's purely software, isn't it?
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

Does the eject button actually work before the OS is loaded? It's purely software, isn't it?

It’s HW and SW, and does work before OS X is loaded. Think of the other keyboard commands that work before the OS is loaded. I think this is all part of EFI to control base drivers for the keyboard, trackpad, ODD, media detraction of other sources in boot sequence, etc., but that is beyond my ken so I’ll stop there.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

maybe apple will surprise us all. but i am starting to suspect it may be a bit like the recent 'apple tv' release. exciting that it is being updated, but not so exciting after actually seeing the updates...
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Honestly, I think iPhoto is a pretty awesome app, but I don't use the rest. IMHO iLife upgrade can't possibly be as exciting as hardware/OS innovation.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    I know its not completely on topic, but somehow I could not find any hint, whether the Back to Mac event will be live streamed. Does any body have some knowledge about this?
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That does seem contradictory.

Not really.

The i3 has a comparable clock speed and is more efficient. Plus, for people that want some power to go with that battery life, it opens up the option of DDR3 memory.

It also has onboard graphics and a better memory controller...

i3 is a great option for the MBA.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

maybe apple will surprise us all. but i am starting to suspect it may be a bit like the recent 'apple tv' release. exciting that it is being updated, but not so exciting after actually seeing the updates...

It?s a tiny little box with the same UI as before. There isn?t much to get excited about. Now a 11.6? MBA with some new innovations in how they boot the system, how they increase the anemic battery life (when compared to other Mac notebooks) might be interesting. Though personally, I?m more interested in the tear down.

PS: If they allow for cellular connectivity I?ll likely be first in line for this machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Honestly, I think iPhoto is a pretty awesome app, but I don't use the rest. IMHO iLife upgrade can't possibly be as exciting as hardware/OS innovation.

I think iPhoto is nice but I only use it for a repository. I never go in to look at photos and subsequently have never cleaned them up.

t?s a daunted task that I simply don?t want to allocate time to do. What I?d love is an app that would periodically pull out a few pics (based on my settings) that pop up and ask me to rename, categorize, and add to Faces and Places. Something that I could take 30 seconds or a minute once or twice a day while in front of my machine and not think twice about it. I think I?d end up having them organized within a year while also getting a trip down memory lane. Can you work on that for me.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

Not really.

The i3 has a comparable clock speed and is more efficient. Plus, for people that want some power to go with that battery life, it opens up the option of DDR3 memory.

It also has onboard graphics and a better memory controller...

i3 is a great option for the MBA.

Seriously people, enough with the comments about Core-i3 being great for the MBA. You people are having a laugh or you have no idea what that you are talking about.

If you disagree find me the Core-i3 chips that you think would be ideal for the MBA.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I know its not completely on topic, but somehow I could not find any hint, whether the Back to Mac event will be live streamed. Does any body have some knowledge about this?

It doesn?t look like it, which I find odd after what a success the last streaming event was.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:

You need a drink. Have a nice glass of cider.

hahaha, good one.

I can't wait for the keynote, can anyone?
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

They will stream live video:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/10/...ck-to-the-mac/