Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'

Comments

• Reply 221 of 359
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Apple doesn't make a netbook because they suffer a lack of confidence in their ability to dramatically grow the Mac market, and instead worry about cannibalizing sales.

This is a criticism of one of the most successful tech company in the world. They lack confidence in their abilities.

OK.
  • Reply 222 of 359
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Tough choice now between a pro and air. Haven't used DVD drive in a while, but is sometimes useful. But is it useful enough to carry with me everywhere, that is the question.
  • Reply 223 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

But that's not a Macbook Air thing. That's an SSD thing. Any ol' PC with an SSD will wake up from sleep quickly enough to be perceived as "instantly".

And why isn't the 256GB SSD available with the 11.6" model?

there's no space in there to add 256 gb cost effectively, wait a few months for toshi (and to a lesser extend samsung) to drop the prices on the new smaller lithography ssds. That's the reason why the iphone didn't get 64gb.
  • Reply 224 of 359
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I was really hoping that the new 11" model would be able to replace my hackintoshed HP Mini. Unfortunately it still falls far short on features.

Disappointing.
  • Reply 225 of 359
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ndn2007 View Post

I haven't installed a program on my Macbook Pro using a "disk" in probably over a year. Other than the OS and Apps disk...I'm not even sure I have any...

...I'm sure someone will invent an external optical drive that uses the USB interface

Someone already did... Apple!
  • Reply 226 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rck View Post

OK so no optical drive. How do you/I install new programs? I missed the presentation so I guess I have to wait.

Rick

The Apple SuperDrive.
  • Reply 227 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smerch View Post

I'd imagine it would be hard to offend someone named "myapplelove."

Smerch, by any chance... is your brother Screech?!

• Reply 228 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Tough choice now between a pro and air. Haven't used DVD drive in a while, but is sometimes useful. But is it useful enough to carry with me everywhere, that is the question.

Nahhh, I wouldn't think so. The only time you are going to miss it is if someone produces a cd and they lack a computer too and you are on the go, and that's very unlikely this will happen. But as long as the person who wants you to use some files from said cd has any type of laptop you can set an adhoc wifi connection on the spot, and get it off their cd drive. Plus if you go on an extended trip and you think there might be such an unlikely chance you can always have the superdrive in your suticase which will be smaller than an extra charger, so you lug your air around and leave the drive in the suitcase, without having to lag around the drive too on the machine for that 5% chance (and I think it's closer to 1%) that you are going to need it.

I used to have a toshi btw lappie circa 1996 (boy am I old...). Back then the floppy was mandatory, but the cd was just catching on, so that lappie had a cd onboard and a plug in floppy drive, and if I remember correctly you could exchange these two. In any case it was a clever thing what toshi had done, much the same way as apple now, because you didn't HAVE to carry both around, only when you really needed to.

So now we have the cloud/email/wifi/sd cards/usb sticks in place of the cd, and the cd in place of the floppy. The case is stacked very much in favor of the former so apple wisely do away with it on an ultra portable and if none of the other options fits, you can still use a cd/dvd, you just don't HAVE to lug it around at all times, just when you need it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Smerch, by any chance... is your brother Screech?!

His older, wiser brother.
  • Reply 229 of 359
    Steve said this is like the ipad and macbook combined.

Not even close- It it were than there would be a 3g radio built in and maybe a GPS. How about a touch screen.

I currently have a macbookpro 13" That is my primary computer. I am considering an IPAD as my walk around machine.

This new mcabook is under powered, under storage, and the battery life is unimpressive.

Sorry apple I do not see the value in this one.
  • Reply 230 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I don't quite understand why anybody would be considering or even comment on a MacBook Air if their primary use was playing video games.

However, having said that the new MacBook Air is purported to be (2X) faster than its predecessor. Which will more than suffice most of its notebook audience.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/performance.html

I have a newest macbook pro to do my major job and play games like Starcraft II.

But I don't wanna always bring it with me all the time since 15'' macbook pro is not that thin.

If macbook air 11'' or 13'' can be used to play those games, I may buy one because when I have a rest with my colleagues, we may play some games
  • Reply 231 of 359
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

Why does everyone here attack anyone that doesn't like something Apple is bringing out? I don't like this air and I think Steve Jobs talks too much -- by talking as much trash as he does he eventually looks like a hypocrite.

I want an updated MacBook Pro. Even if it's just a speed bump.

Good thing they offered a speed bump to the MacBook Pro today then, isn't it?
  • Reply 232 of 359
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

well, macbook air is not my taste, and lack of power I need. so it was a long time ago I've never interested in it. so whatever they announced today, it's not for me. but it looks even thinner than previous model. beautiful. nowadays, what do you with 64, 128GB HDD? no optical drive nothing? totally useless.

by the way, it's very funny that Steve Jobs was never interested in producing netbook kind of thing. now, they made it. why? I think ipad is enough. why did they made 11.6 inch macbook air? why? I don't get it. as you know, the price is still expensive with that spec. I pass it. no interest.

It is perfectly usable ultra-portable machine for everyone who isn't going to use it as main (and only) computer... or even is going to use it as main computer but doesn't have big demands. Hardware is more than strong enough for everyday use and you can always unload extra data (movies etc) to USB HDD.

I think it is no-brainier for Mac users who want to supplement their MacBook Pro or iMac (and want more power than iPad). For Windows (or don-t-care-which-platform) users, less. There is already nice selection of 11" - 13" ultra-portables with choice of Atom, C2D ULV and Core i that will offer more for less in comparably portable units.
  • Reply 233 of 359
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Netbooks aren't a niche product. They're a phenomenon, and Apple just sits idly by...

LOL. Look up "phenomenon" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of the iPad and Apple is sitting comfortably in the driver's seat.
  • Reply 234 of 359
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It's clearly an ultra-portable. A 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo makes an Atom cry out of shame.

The 2GB thing though, that's a pity.

2USB, SD, headphone, mini DP, MagSafe - at least the ports are reasonable this time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Can the RAM be upgraded? needs 4GB atleast. Willing to pay.

Yes, according to Apple's site when you attempt to build and configure options, it appears every model entry level - high end can be upped to 4gb at the factory for $100 extra. I don't know if it is user upgradable after it has been assembled.

In my opinion, this new MBA is totally WIN. Apple really did their homework! The new air will be fast thanks to faster graphics and SSD which will negate the slower core 2 duo processors. And really, the purpose of the air is understood. I think in the previous air, Apple tried too hard to make it as fast as possible but light. Now they are making it fast ENOUGH and more aggressively priced.

I do agree this is a netbook, but done RIGHT. The specs are better than most netbooks, but the aim of what it does is a high end netbook. I am very impressed. Feel free to argue that it is not a netbook, that one is up to opinion.
  • Reply 235 of 359
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Anyone notice that the Windows Phone 7 reviews are going up today? Interesting coincidence? Apple dominates the news all day when Microsoft desperately needs the attention.
  • Reply 236 of 359
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Battery life? You're crazy. Name another similar laptop that gets more battery life.

3G? Use a USB 3G adapter. That has the advantage of being easy to upgrade or flexible if you travel outside the U.S.

I haven't been checking much 11", but comes to 13", you can get (claimed) 8.5 hours out of Toshiba Portege R700. While not as thin as Air, it does start with 1.1kg (which actually should be a bit less than Air?), has optical drive and comes with selection of CPUs from i3 to i7... and also choice of standard or SSD drives. Only integrated Intel graphics, though. Entry level i3 config with 4GB of RAM and 320GB HDD (I think) is US$899, last time I checked.

Asus also has couple of reasonably thin and light notebooks with C2D and iCore, some of then claiming 10+ hours of battery life, with different graphics configurations.
  • Reply 237 of 359
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I haven't been checking much 11", but comes to 13", you can get (claimed) 8.5 hours out of Toshiba Portege R700. While not as thin as Air, it does start with 1.1kg (which actually should be a bit less than Air?), has optical drive and comes with selection of CPUs from i3 to i7... and also choice of standard or SSD drives. Only integrated Intel graphics, though. Entry level i3 config with 4GB of RAM and 320GB HDD (I think) is US$899, last time I checked.

Asus also has couple of reasonably thin and light notebooks with C2D and iCore, some of then claiming 10+ hours of battery life, with different graphics configurations.

Not a bad computer, but it is 3 pounds, just a bit more than the Air. Plus you have to use Windows!
  • Reply 238 of 359
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Battery life? You're crazy. Name another similar laptop that gets more battery life.

You can get 6-10 hr batteries with most current netbooks. My HP Mini has a 6 hr (a 9.5 hr was optional), and it actually gets that 6 hrs too.
  • Reply 239 of 359
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    The new MBA are still using glossy-shinny-glassy screens, on an ultra-portable ! WTF !?

I need a MATTE SCREEN on my PORTABLE, Steve ! GEEZ !
  • Reply 240 of 359
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I was really hoping that the new 11" model would be able to replace my hackintoshed HP Mini. Unfortunately it still falls far short on features.

Disappointing.

HP is coming out with a new Mini though