HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 141 of 433
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Using "business" in your marketing copy causes a Pavlovian response among the IT departments of the world...

So true, so true!
  • Reply 142 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

As far as the Slate is concerned... it will certainly appeal to some but it certainly won't sell millions per month. My guess... it will crash quite often and drive users nuts... but we'll see.

yeah, I?m sure some find it ideal for their needs but let?s call it what it is, its a netbook in tablet form? and that?s not an easy pill to swallow, especially at that price.

Furthermore, a major argument for the netbook and against the iPad for the past year has been the lack of a physical keyboard. So what market wants a netbook sans the keyboard at 2-3x the price? How big is that market?
  • Reply 143 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Yeah, and this place is full of them. That's the problem here.

I can put up with that. No problem.

But someone said that a poster should be banned for posting a document prepared by HP that shows a comparison between the products.

That is going way too far.
  • Reply 144 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

The device has a capacitive touchscreen. Why would everything have to be done with a stylus? What caused you to conclude that?

Because the tablet runs Windows 7 and Windows 7 isn't designed for you to interact with via your fingers. Just try touching the maximize button in the corner of a window with your index finger. You might get lucky and maximize it, or you might minimize it, or you might close it altogether. iOS is designed from the ground up to be able to work with a pointing device as large as a finger. Windows 7 isn't. To navigate many of the UI features in Windows you need something with a much finer point than a finger.
  • Reply 145 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

As a buisnes owner, and you know what your talking about, will this run my office software? It's a simple question, and I'm sure you have a lot of answers, but I just need a yes or no. You're the guys that know what's up with this stuff. My guys are using excell on their iPad. Should I buy more of them, or this? It's windows, so it should work with everything else I have right?

"Run my office software" is NOT a yes or no question.

Asking the right question is often a prerequisite to getting a useful answer.

The right question would be "how quickly and smoothly will it run M$ Word"? or whatever specific software you are wondering about.

And nobody here has any answers to that question.

Wait for some hands-on reviews if you want anything better than uninformed guesses.
  • Reply 146 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

My install of MacOS X 10.6.4 is 11.07GB - still less than Windows if your numbers are accurate. I don't know how you got only 9GB unless you've removed stuff.

1) How are you basing your numbers of Mac OS X? The total files on a Restore Disc, a retail copy of SL, a fresh install or what your drive is current using? Are you using Base-2 or Base-10 (Note: That Apple moved to Base-10 for the representation in user space for SL)?

2) Note that the SL and iLife installers are contained on an 8GB USB stick for the new MBAs.

3) Just to make sure I?ve covered all the bases, if we?re comparing the HP Slate to the iPad to see which has more space for the user to consume we should use iOS for the iPad in a comparison..
  • Reply 147 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

We do know one thing.... it has windows on it....and windows 7 at that. eeek!

Can you please elaborate? In my experience, Windows 7 is a very capable operating system. Not as aesthetically pleasing as MacOS X, but just as functional (if not more so).

What exactly does "eeek" mean?
  • Reply 148 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'll diss this tablet for a lot of things but not Windows. Because that is the least of the issues. The slow processor and low ram in a machine meant to be a 'fully functioning computer' is a bigger issue in my book. The up to 5 hours of battery is a bigger issue in my book.

I have to agree with the folks that say that HP and Microsoft don't get it. Apple walked in knowing that a tablet, at this point, wouldn't be a full computer. And they didn't try to make one. It seems like Microsoft just said "whatever Apple did, we'll do the opposite and that will make ours better". So full Windows, USB port, expandable memory, etc.

We'll see once it comes out, but I suspect that the size will be uncomfortable for many programs and the battery life will totally suck. ANd those two things will break the slate

The new 11" MacBook Air is only rated at 5 hours of battery life. Will you denigrate it also?
  • Reply 149 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

I guess we shall have to wait for the hands on reviews...

Just like we did for Win Phone 7.. and wow was that underwhelming response predictable.

The predictability of the reviews for HP's Windows 7 Slate is just as great.

It's a knockout DOA product. Why?

Microsoft does not do refined. It does not do small or compact. It does not do elegant. It does not do speedy or quick. It does do bloat, and slow, and buggy.

Good luck with that HP - go back to WebOS and start again before you embarrass yourselves.

I disagree - at least as far as your comment about Windows Phone goes. I like what I've seen so far. I find the interface quite elegant (except maybe for the Start page).
  • Reply 150 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Not when you only have 64gig to play with.

Good point. I probably would not buy an expensive device that had so little storage.

But I would imagine that, unlike the iPad, a user could just plug in a stick of memory or a huge external drive, and the internal memory limitations would be less important. For example, one could put an entire project on a single stick. One could carry lots of sticks in the case without any extra bulk.

Or one could plug in a big drive, and easily drag and drop everything needed for a meeting in moments.

I don't like the idea of a computer with so little memory. But with the ability to add to memory without any stupid adapter cables, it is likely less of an issue than with a more limited device like the iPad.
  • Reply 151 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

all i want to know is battery life of this device.

everything else, i can tolerate.

nothing worth tolerating on this overpriced turkey.
  • Reply 152 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

The new 11" MacBook Air is only rated at 5 hours of battery life. Will you denigrate it also?

One has “up to 5 hours” when you put the display brightness to its lowest settings and don’t open any apps, and the other has “5 hours of wireless productivity” with a history of battery times that typically meet or exceed specs when tested by independent reviewers.

Why not compare it to the iPad since they are both tablets. The iPad gets “10 hours of video” and I believe Pogue got about 11.5hours of video on his. Which do you think the average user would prefer?

PS: I decided that neither MBA was for me because the battery life didn’t fit my needs.
  • Reply 153 of 433
    Quote:

Stupidity runs high in corp. IT. They have tunnel thinking, and will see this as a device that will fit right in with their existing provisioning systems - which it will since it's full Windows, the fact that it's usability is dismal is unimportant. I'm sure HP will sell lots of these to companies who want to be 'hip' but where IT dictates Windows.

Please define "dismal".
  • Reply 154 of 433
    I stopped reading the article at "...digital stylus pen."

In related news: Digging up my US Robotics Palm Pilot, circa 1997.
  • Reply 155 of 433
    Quote:

My install of MacOS X 10.6.4 is 11.07GB - still less than Windows if your numbers are accurate. I don't know how you got only 9GB unless you've removed stuff.

iOS is based on MacOS X. Do you believe all of MacOS X is installed on your iPhone? Why do you assume all of Windows 7 will be installed on a tablet?

Of course this does lead to a question. Why Windows 7? As a user, you might want a Windows 7 based tablet because of all the applications certified to run on that OS. But in a stripped down environment, is there any guarantee all those apps will run? I think vendors will have to rebuild their apps for this new environment. They will probably have a head start since the apps already exist and already run under Windows 7. But they'll still have to do some work to make them run on a tablet.
  • Reply 156 of 433
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

HP will never even come close in sales to the i pad.They quality control and customer service stinks.

HP has good quality and customer service. They'll sell a bunch of these to unenlightened corp. IT weenies, but they'll probably never come close to iPad sales because of the nature of their device (keyboard-less PC w/Windows). The story may be different if/when HP ships a decent tablet with WebOS.
  • Reply 157 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

let?s call it what it is, its a netbook in tablet form?

What does this mean? Please elaborate.
  • Reply 158 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iphtashu Fitz View Post

To navigate many of the UI features in Windows you need something with a much finer point than a finger.

Have you ever read this forum on an iPhone? I need to constantly resize in order to use, for example, the page number buttons.

Yes, using a small touch-screen can cause the need to resize. Just like in iOS.
  • Reply 159 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

I can put up with that. No problem.

But someone said that a poster should be banned for posting a document prepared by HP that shows a comparison between the products.

That is going way too far.

You want to ban somebody for saying something that you don't agree with? Because they quote material that you didn't provide yourself? You'd prefer that everyone just wore Apple-supplied blinders?
  • Reply 160 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Can you please elaborate? In my experience, Windows 7 is a very capable operating system. Not as aesthetically pleasing as MacOS X, but just as functional (if not more so).

What exactly does "eeek" mean?

It means "I love Apple. I am one of us".