Apple's new MacBook Air predicted to sell 700K during holidays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think Apple will discontinue the white MacBook now that they have $999 MB Air. In my opinion, they should drop the Air from the name.

They will not do the latter.

They will simple kill the white MacBook and remove 'Pro' from the Pros. And they'll probably remove the DVD drive from the 13" and 15" models.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

I think 2 things:

- The white MacBook down to $799, or

- The white MacBook dissapears.

I believe in the 2nd thing, because now all its line is aluminum, the white looks out.

And you know what that means? The following year they'll bring back colors. Aluminum-colors.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They will simple kill the white MacBook and remove 'Pro' from the Pros. And they'll probably remove the DVD drive from the 13" and 15" models.

I don't think they will remove the Pro from the Pros. If you look at the specs of the MB and MBA you will see that they lack illuminated keyboard and Firewire. I think it makes more sense to keep the current Pro as is and removing the Air from the MB Air. I am not saying they will do this now. I think they will do it when they can put faster processors in these MBA.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder what the profit margin is on the Air compared to the MacBook Pros that they'll be cannibalizing... Presumably we're talking about people switching from the 13" MBP to the new Air (and of course some old Air people switching to the new Air).

I doubt anyone needing a MBP could use a MBA. They are two different worlds. Heck the apps needed by a MBP user wouldn't fit on the storage available let alone the potential data. The new MBA is awesome but it is for a different kind of use IMHO.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

I think 2 things:

I believe in the 2nd thing, because now all its line is aluminum, the white looks out.

I don't see either happening until SSD drives come standard with 512GB baseline settings.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

removed
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m not sure why you were waiting for this refresh when "you get more for your money with a standard Macbook Pro? will always be true. Miniaturization costs money. Those are LV and ULV CPUs in the 13? and 11? MBAs, respectively, and they are expensive.

I agree a MBP is not the same beast as a MBA, no way they represent alternatives. A MBA isn't going to run Apple Pro apps for example ... they would fit on it let alone the potential data!

BTW... I got my first ever MBP recently, I went for the 2.66 15" i7. I am very, very impressed and this is from a MacPro user. I have an Apple 24 LCD and extended external USB keyboard and magic mouse for whenever serious work is needed but it is amazing as just a stand alone laptop. I can run all my Pro apps no problem.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

BTW... I got my first ever MBP recently, I went for the 2.66 15" i7. I am very, very impressed and this is from a MacPro user. I have an Apple 24 LCD and extended external USB keyboard and magic mouse for whenever serious work is needed but it is amazing as just a stand alone laptop. I can run all my Pro apps no problem.

I am jealous. That's what I was planning on getting as my next system. MBP 15" with i7 ($2000 on MacMall) and the new Apple LED display. My current 15" 2.4 C2D unibody MBP is showing its age. I only have 2GB of empty space on the HDD
  • Reply 29 of 43
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think Apple will discontinue the white MacBook now that they have $999 MB Air. In my opinion, they should drop the Air from the name.

For $999 the white MacBook offers a lot more computer than the Air. Bigger screen. More powerful CPU. More storage. The Air is not a replacement for people currently buying white MacBooks.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

If those are the options, the white MacBook disappears. At $799 it starts elbowing the iPad.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Yep, I think I will be getting the base 11" with 4gig of Ram...I'm going to try really hard not to buy the SuperDrive. I don't want any cables except the pwr and my iPhone 4 USB connector

I read a previous post where someone suggested that Apple is moving in the direction of streaming, Movies, Photos, Music., SW, etc., (Like the AppleTV) and so big HD's may not be as necessary as they used to be. More Cloud based.

Certainly the MBA is probably not most peoples idea of a "main" computer...but it could be for me.

I may sell my iMac and get the Air early! Woohoo!

Who wants to sit at a desktop all day and work? Ugggh!

Best
  • Reply 32 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

For $999 the white MacBook offers a lot more computer than the Air. Bigger screen. More powerful CPU. More storage. The Air is not a replacement for people currently buying white MacBooks.

But of course we don't know how many people were buying the MacBook because it was the cheapest Apple laptop available, regardless of their actual needs.

If you don't need the storage or CPU (and I'll wager there are many that don't) you can now get an Apple laptop for MacBook money that is vastly easier to carry around with much nicer industrial design. For a little more you can get that and the same screen size as well.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    By the way, has their ever been a time when Apple has offered this many discreet laptop models at this many price points?

There's the MacBook, the 11" and 13" Air, and the 13', 15" and 17" MacBook Pro-- with of course multiple BTO options for each. For Apple, that's a heap. Add in the iPad and I think Apple has your mobile computing needs pretty well covered.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

My guess is that the $999 will be hot, especially for college students.

It probably will and that's a bit unfortunate. After the OS and a few apps are installed, it really leaves little storage space and leaves lots of owners with a less than optimal experience. too bad they couldn't hit that 30% margin at $999 with the 128 GB.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

If those are the options, the white MacBook disappears. At $799 it starts elbowing the iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By the way, has their ever been a time when Apple has offered this many discreet laptop models at this many price points?

There's the MacBook, the 11" and 13" Air, and the 13', 15" and 17" MacBook Pro-- with of course multiple BTO options for each. For Apple, that's a heap. Add in the iPad and I think Apple has your mobile computing needs pretty well covered.

What about $899? That P-point seems open now and the "production experience" costs have long since been recovered.

Here's the lot: iPad: $499-$599-$629-$699-$729-$829. MacBook Air: $999-$1199-$1299-1599. MacBook: $999. MB Pro: $1199-1499-$1799-$1999-$2199-$2299. MacPro: (for good measure) $2400 and up....

And yup, $899's sitting there unfilled. And yup, Apple's finally and slowing expanding its range of SKU's, so if they wanted (I hear it sells well despite faint praise in this forum), they could continue to upgrade the specs on the $999 MB, and iPhone style, make the previous model the $899, i.e., offer two trim levels of plastic Macs.

They would then - considering the iPad a new category of computer - blanket every major price point and very likely skim another point or three of of total PC market share from the budget conscious full-featured lap-top buyers who've previously been priced out of the Mac market.

Note: I've never seen Apple have even a single price duplication in a line (in this case the MacBook line) before. Have any of you? And there it is at $1199. Unless the MB Air can be considered a brand new category. But I call it more evolution than revolution.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think maybe hard to predict sales numbers this time around. It is the first release of the MBA since iPad came in to existence.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    If I hadn't already bought an iMac just a few months ago then this new Macbook Air would have made for a toss-up. I'll definitely consider this against the iPad when I go to replace my Macbook. The Air is looking very nice.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Ive been in the market for a new computer. I think the 13" MBA is what I want. 11" seems small but i may end up with that one...we'll see.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think maybe hard to predict sales numbers this time around. It is the first release of the MBA since iPad came in to existence.

Even with the iPad I have to assume Apple will break records again, but by how much? There isn’t much of bump last year for the Holiday, but I think this year could be close to 5M Macs, but I think an additional 500k is pretty safe bet.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple has been aggressive, no doubt. Most people are still hitting the iPad and iPhone pretty hard, gobbling them up. Apple is trying to shift a little of the iPad madness to the Mac 11".

More iPads were sold in just 26 countries than Macs sold in the whole world, in the most recent quarter. Of the people that picked up the iPad, I'm sure a sizeable number of them might have been frustrated it couldn't do more. This is Apple's answer. The 11" MBA is the direct beneficiary of iPad halo effect and frustration in not being able to purchase the iPad.

Remember when the iPod touch came out? People loved it because they didn't or couldn't get an iPhone, particularly globally. Same thing here. People love the iPad but they can't get it, particularly globally... So Apple is trying to shift that bunch of customers to 11" MBA while they gradually learn more and improve the iPad and figure out how the heck they can make more and distribute it at the same worldwide bandwidth that they do Macs.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple has been aggressive, no doubt. Most people are still hitting the iPad and iPhone pretty hard, gobbling them up. Apple is trying to shift a little of the iPad madness to the Mac 11".

More iPads were sold in just 26 countries than Macs sold in the whole world, in the most recent quarter. Of the people that picked up the iPad, I'm sure a sizeable number of them might have been frustrated it couldn't do more. This is Apple's answer. The 11" MBA is the direct beneficiary of iPad halo effect and frustration in not being able to purchase the iPad.

Remember when the iPod touch came out? People loved it because they didn't or couldn't get an iPhone, particularly globally. Same thing here. People love the iPad but they can't get it, particularly globally... So Apple is trying to shift that bunch of customers to 11" MBA while they gradually learn more and improve the iPad and figure out how the heck they can make more and distribute it at the same worldwide bandwidth that they do Macs.

You know, that's a really good point-- that Apple sees the 11" Air as a conduit between the iPad customer and the laptop customer. With the changes coming in Lion and further refinements of the iOS platform it really will be an interesting choice.

I think the functionality issues will recede and it will come down to if you want a keyboard and how much you like the touch framework (as opposed to the current, largely off the mark IMO, talk about what constitutes a "real" computer).