FaceTime for Mac uses push notifications

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I hope it's just because of the beta-ness of the app, but it stops working unless it's in the /Applications folder. I hate the dumping ground which is the stock applications folder, and I organize it into categories (iStuff, Graphics, Communication, Utilities, etc). I know it breaks the apple update process, so I do it manually.

Sheldon
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I'm loving this integration of iOS with OS X (and what Lion will bring.) It will mean an unprecedented level of usability. For instance, I'm already doing the kind of photo editing on an iPhone 4 with a 2-dollar app that was only available for a great deal more (and only for a "computer") just a few years ago.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since Apple introduced this great feature I’ve used it constantly. I get push notifications all the time and never wondered if an app or their PNS wasn’t working correctly. And, like I stated earlier, I forward my Gmail to my MobileMe account because I can use the IMAP IDLE to get my mail pushed to my iDevices almost instantly. I can’t say how fast it is, but on my Mac Mail polls the Gmail server every 1 minute and my phone will almost always vibrate before it hits my Mac.

The iPhone feature set is far less than you believe, and as I stated earlier, I'm not forwarding my personal or business e-mail through anyone's server just to make up for Apple's deficiencies.

You get e-mail delivered promptly to your iPhone without the standard 15-minute polling lag because you forward it to MobileMe for the supposed IMAP IDLE support of the iPhone. If IMAP IDLE really worked on the iPhone, Mac OS X Server would deliver e-mail to the iPhone without polling, but IMAP IDLE doesn't work on the iPhone. MobileMe uses a different signaling mechanism than IMAP IDLE. Mac OS X Server can not deliver push e-mail to the iPhone even though Server supports IMAP IDLE. Apple introduced the Push Notification Service to Snow Leopard Server, ostensibly to provide push e-mail to the iPhone, but PNS doesn't work either.

This AI article is full of bunk when it comes to describing what actually works. Yes, the new FaceTime app provides "push" notification on the Mac. Big deal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to write a background listening process for a Mac. Let's see Apple get PNS working on Mac OS X Server like it's supposed to.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Brilliant...nobody sweats the details like Apple...

Just used FaceTime for the first time...My daughter is in St. Maarten with her 13" MBP and I'm here in Arizona with my iMac and my iPhone 4.

Tried both and they worked great. Better than Skype and a lot simpler.

The iPhone 4 actually was better mainly because of a better camera and the smaller screen but probably a lot is due to the Retina display....she was really wowed when I hit the button to switch to the front facing camera...

Always cool when you can impress your 26 year old daughter...

Last time I did that I think she was seven and I'm tennis player and I can hit the ball straight up about 4-5 stories and when it comes down catch it on my racquet without it bouncing. She said, "OMG, Dad!" Yep, that was the last time, I think!

Best

Yes, it is cool - my brother wanted to show his old curmugeon of a boss, so he Facetimed me and introduced me to him and his coworkers. They were all very impressed, loved the camera thing.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    I downloaded the facetime app. I have it going through my email address. Now my wife has Iphone 4. When we first bought her phone, ATT gave her a dumby number for the reason of switching from another carrier. After her contract was up, we ported her number to the iphone. Dumping the other number for her orignal.

So when I tried facetime by calling her phone it would not connect. I was puzzled. I tried it a few more times and still nothing. I decided to take her phone and call me and it worked. I was confused when another number showed up. After pondering this for some time, I then noticed the number was the dumby number ATT gave her. This number was dumped 2 1/2 months ago.

Now I know facetime for Mac is just a beta version, but does anyone have an idea WTF is going on here?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    It is becoming increasingly likely that 3rd Party companies will look to licence the FaceTime software for the introduction of video calling on their devices. This, coupled with the undoubted introduction of video camers on an iPad 2, should ensure that FaceTime will gain further ground.

I'm looking forward to when FaceTime will work over a 3G/4G network and not just WiFI
  • Reply 27 of 30
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Sorry, MobileMe and gmail are stoppers when privacy is concerned. No corporation in their right mind would use these systems.

Mac OS X Server even has what's called Push Notification Service, and it's a complete waste of time.

Except of course for all the ones that do use GMail

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/b...customers.html

There is no reason a third party service provider can not meet or exceed the security and privacy offered by an internal IT shop. In most cases it is not even difficult.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

I downloaded the facetime app. I have it going through my email address. Now my wife has Iphone 4. When we first bought her phone, ATT gave her a dumby number for the reason of switching from another carrier. After her contract was up, we ported her number to the iphone. Dumping the other number for her orignal.

So when I tried facetime by calling her phone it would not connect. I was puzzled. I tried it a few more times and still nothing. I decided to take her phone and call me and it worked. I was confused when another number showed up. After pondering this for some time, I then noticed the number was the dumby number ATT gave her. This number was dumped 2 1/2 months ago.

Now I know facetime for Mac is just a beta version, but does anyone have an idea WTF is going on here?

You need to change the number of the phone in Settings > Phone > My Number. This will register the phone number set here with the FaceTime service. That way, FaceTime actually knows this phone number exists, and the phone is currently online.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Anyone know of a way to change the default layout to wide instead of tall? On a Mac I prefer the wide layout. And my primary (only) use will be calling between Macs.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The iPhone feature set is far less than you believe, and as I stated earlier, I'm not forwarding my personal or business e-mail through anyone's server just to make up for Apple's deficiencies.

You get e-mail delivered promptly to your iPhone without the standard 15-minute polling lag because you forward it to MobileMe for the supposed IMAP IDLE support of the iPhone. If IMAP IDLE really worked on the iPhone, Mac OS X Server would deliver e-mail to the iPhone without polling, but IMAP IDLE doesn't work on the iPhone. MobileMe uses a different signaling mechanism than IMAP IDLE. Mac OS X Server can not deliver push e-mail to the iPhone even though Server supports IMAP IDLE. Apple introduced the Push Notification Service to Snow Leopard Server, ostensibly to provide push e-mail to the iPhone, but PNS doesn't work either.

This AI article is full of bunk when it comes to describing what actually works. Yes, the new FaceTime app provides "push" notification on the Mac. Big deal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to write a background listening process for a Mac. Let's see Apple get PNS working on Mac OS X Server like it's supposed to.

The push notification service in OS X server is a piece of junk, no doubt about that. My biggest gripe is it messes up iChat client availability if you are also using the iCal and Address Book servers. The Push Notification Service uses jabber just like iChat. However, we found that if a user has iCal open the Jabber server will show them as online even though they aren't even running iChat.

I'd have to look in the documentation, but I don't think that the Push Notification Server is designed to do anything more than provide push service on the local network for iCal and Address Book. In order to push data to phones, you have to first send the data to Apple's Push Notification Service so they can send it over the cell signal to your phone. You have to set up an SSL connection to Apple's servers to send your data over, and there are no settings or documentation on how to do this.