Apple may have planned to build second NC data center from day one

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Since data centres typically use almost all of their building's volume for data storage and don't have a lot of extra meeting rooms, bathrooms or staff, a simple measuring of the size of the building from aerial photographs would answer this question quickly and easily if anyone's interested in doing it. It would be easy to tell, if we knew the length and breadth of the building itself, whether it could fit 250,000 or 500,000 square feet of servers inside.

Only if we assume there is a single floor. This thing could easily have a basement or two. Scaling from the trucks at the loading dock the above ground portion could have more than one floor.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't want to offend you any more than I am sure you don't want to offend me - so if you remove your religious reference in your signature we'll all be fine and dandy together in this Apple forum. Cheers

You are offended by a link to Christian music? Seriously? It is not like he is pushing a religion or dumping on one. I think we can all be fine and dandy without him having to edit a non-offensive link. In fact, I think your total intollerance of anything remotely religious is more offensive.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

You are offended by a link to Christian music? Seriously? It is not like he is pushing a religion or dumping on one. I think we can all be fine and dandy without him having to edit a non-offensive link. In fact, I think your total intollerance of anything remotely religious is more offensive.

Spam is spam
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Only if we assume there is a single floor. This thing could easily have a basement or two. Scaling from the trucks at the loading dock the above ground portion could have more than one floor.

The building is clearly tall enough to have at least 2, if not 3 floors of server storage. That said, there is a lot more to a data center than servers. I see what looks like a row of generators out back, but I do not see any means of keeping that beast cool. Unless there is a nearby chilled water facility just out of frame, the extra vertical space may very well contain the infrastructure for cooling, battery backup etc.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Spam is spam

Unsolicited emails are spam, as are forum posts that are ads. An unobtusive link to download anything for free in the sig of a legitimate poster and forum member is not spam.

If the forum rules say no links, those are the rules, but I think you have to go pretty overboard to call that link offensive or spam.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

Since data centres typically use almost all of their building's volume for data storage and don't have a lot of extra meeting rooms, bathrooms or staff, a simple measuring of the size of the building from aerial photographs would answer this question quickly and easily if anyone's interested in doing it. It would be easy to tell, if we knew the length and breadth of the building itself, whether it could fit 250,000 or 500,000 square feet of servers inside.

Quote:

The building is clearly tall enough to have at least 2, if not 3 floors of server storage. That said, there is a lot more to a data center than servers. I see what looks like a row of generators out back, but I do not see any means of keeping that beast cool. Unless there is a nearby chilled water facility just out of frame, the extra vertical space may very well contain the infrastructure for cooling, battery backup etc.

The renderings clearly show ponds to the side of each building. Not sure what else they would be for besides involvement in some sort of cooling. Don't think they would have to supply their own drinking water for 50 employees!
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:

Unsolicited emails are spam, as are forum posts that are ads. An unobtusive link to download anything for free in the sig of a legitimate poster and forum member is not spam.

If the forum rules say no links, those are the rules, but I think you have to go pretty overboard to call that link offensive or spam.

Agree. When I saw it I reacted negatively for the briefest of moments, but then figured to each his own. Was low key and clearly marked for what it was. I can live with it. On the other hand, rules are rules if indeed no commercial links are allowed.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:

You are offended by a link to Christian music? Seriously? It is not like he is pushing a religion or dumping on one. ...

It's a link to enjoy some Christian music. That's either an advertisement (not cool) or an attempt at proselytising (seriously not cool). Either way "pushing a religion" is exactly what he is doing.

All you have to do to see it's offensive is put yourself in the shoes of someone who *does* find it offensive. Imagine it's a link to free literature (about whatever topic you find offensive). Same thing. Also, it's arguable if it was a link to something Muslim it would already be deleted and the user banned from the forum.

Bottom line is that no one should really be using their sig to advertise anything at all, free or paid, religious or secular. It's tacky, it's against standard "netiquette" and always has been.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

True, we need all three measurements to know for sure.

I'm still assuming those measurements could be easily obtained though. I was hoping some more engineering minded person would figure it out for us.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

So keep all religious reference out and be done with. His Christianity spam and my intolerance.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:

The renderings clearly show ponds to the side of each building. Not sure what else they would be for besides involvement in some sort of cooling. Don't think they would have to supply their own drinking water for 50 employees!

Ponds are often required for drainage reasons and for fire codes. Every commercial building I have worked on in the last 15 years has had a pond, and none of them were used for cooling.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:

Ponds are often required for drainage reasons and for fire codes. Every commercial building I have worked on in the last 15 years has had a pond, and none of them were used for cooling.

Thanks for the info, good to know. But the way the ponds, especially the back one, articulate to the buildings makes me wonder. The back one has some kind of structure of its own. Could it be a sliding roof? Could the front one be partially decorative--a reflection pool? A pool for employee workouts?
  • Reply 33 of 61
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Thanks for the info, good to know. But the way the ponds, especially the back one, articulate to the buildings makes me wonder. The back one has some kind of structure of its own. Could it be a sliding roof? Could the front one be partially decorative--a reflection pool? A pool for employee workouts?

In N.C. it is probably for fishin'.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

That would be a huge pool! I think the shape and location probably has a lot to do with the contours of the land and the nearby creek/wetlands. Their size in area/volume is likely based on the area of the roof and paved areas. I am not sure what the tan area is. A support building, a parking/staging area, a phase 3 facility?
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

I'm not familiar with what goes into a data center. The building that Apple is building is huge.

A data center is full of computers plus the network equipment to connect them together.

Quote:

Is it possible there could be some other use?

No. Apple got a preferential tax rate, etc. to build this data center here in North Carolina. The local officials would be mighty irate if Apple decided to use it for other purposes. Apple has listed a number of job descriptions for this location that indicate that they are staffing a data center.

Quote:

Is Google's data center as big or bigger?

Google has many data centers. So does Apple. It is likely that this new building for Apple is larger than some of Google's buildings, yet smaller than others.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

True, we need all three measurements to know for sure.

I'm still assuming those measurements could be easily obtained though. I was hoping some more engineering minded person would figure it out for us.

I did a very quick and dirty estimation of building area (the area under roof) using the photos provided and the parking spaces to validate. I don't have any idea if the numbers are any good since there are numerous things I had to assume and the scale/quality of the web images was not the best. (I am a RPLS in State of Texas and Civil Engineer but this is far from any engineering estimate I would put my seal on.)

I was surprised to come up with approx. 246000 square feet which could easily be rounded to 250000 SF per building or 500000 for the total of BOTH buildings. Lots of room for errors here but the fact that my best estimate came out so close to the one-quarter million number is enough for me to think that Phase One is half of the original and Phase Two will complete the half-million promised.

Interesting.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

if you remove your religious reference in your signature we'll all be fine and dandy together in this Apple forum.

Seriously? Your that self important you felt you had to post that in public instead of sending a PM?

Your a bigot. We get it. Thanks for announcing it.

Quote:

Cheers

Indeed
  • Reply 38 of 61
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Wow. Some people are sure seemingly intolerant of my tag line that I have been using for quite some time. It is a non-commerical link to some free music I personally own all the copyrights to. It is both my personal hobby and interest, and is not that different from someone linking to their favorite music and/or hobby.

It helps people find more about my interests. Isn't that what a tag line is about? (to give you a flavor of what that particular person likes). I have found interesting websites by following tag links by other posters over the years. I am very clear in the tag link. It is not misleading in any way, and to the best of my knowledge am not knowingly violating any forum rules. This smacks of violating my right to free expression, for expressing a small link that shows what I enjoy doing, and which I give away freely to bless others.

I enjoy posting the technical posts on this forum which express my opinion relating to Apple and its products and services. It would be a shame for AI to allow a few people who object to my small tag link to silence me from participating here.

Now, can we kindly get back to discussing the latest cool stuff from Apple? (without trying to debate in this thread about my personal tag-line)... Thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

If the dashed black line on the drawing represents Apple's property line (and I think it does), it appears that there is room for an additional module on this site behind the second one.

I wonder where the house they bought for over a million dollars was on the site plan...
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Seconded. Proselytising and Advertising are both against the forum rules aren't they?

Wow, the narrow minded bigots are out in full force tonight. Here's the rules, as presented, when you go to sign up -

Quote:

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of AppleInsider will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of AppleInsider, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of AppleInsider reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Doesn't even mention advertising (rather surprising, actually)...