Apple partners with Unisys to reach enterprise, government clients

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I agree with much of what you've said, except for two things.

The first is that the "PC wars are over". That's really a very interesting question. At the time Jobs came back to Apple, the PC wars were over. But things change. Technology, and the use of it evolves.

What is a PC? A personal computer. And what is that? Well, we knew what it was. It was a desk bound machine in 1997, mostly. No one ever thought that large, heavy, weakly performing laptops would ever become popular. But they did. And Apple is doing very well there.

No one ever expected that smartphones would ever sell in the quantities they are now, much less in what they will be selling in a few years.

And, no one ever thought that tablets would ever work, much less become popular, except Bill gates, but those weren't tablets, they were convertibles.

It's very interesting, but in the second decade of the 21st century, Apple could win the PC wars after all, and I think Jobs knows it!

So, are we talking about a series of wars like those that comprised the hundred years war? A war that changed the rulers of countries?

Or are we talking about WWI-WWII-Post Cold War that, swept away everything in its path -- redefining the countries themselves into conglomerate entities?

Will the desktops be replaced (or are they already being replaced) by thin clients to the enterprise LAN?

Will the laptops be replaced (or are they already being replaced) by thin clients to the Cloud?

Is the same "change" happening in the home? In social gathering places?

"Give me enough bandwidth and a place to stand..."

If "connectivity" is going to define the future of computing, then the iPhone, iPad, MBA and AppleTV are transitional devices -- thin clients with widgets (if you will), to that future.

I do some video editing with FCS. It can be a real resource hog (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD storage. Presently, everything except the HDD storage is inboard (you can offload some work to other computers). But, with a fast enough connection and enough bandwidth, couldn't the heavy lifting all be done, better, on headless, powerhouse servers (elsewhere) leaving just displays and appropriate UIs, with minimal compute power on the desk or on the lap (or in the hand or in the pocket)?

Quote:

But it may become a uOS/Android world. uOS standing for Universal Operating System, which is where I'm convinced Apple is going with OS X and iOS.

Then, the war is already well along in progress.

Is Android a robust enough base with which to build a universal OS?

P.S. Don't get that "u" backwards -- µOS