Java-based Trojan horse targets computers running Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Maybe. How many other OSes are affected by this exploit?

Oh for f**ks sake! This is not an OS exploit!
  • Reply 42 of 94
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Open Safari Prefs, click the Security tab, un-check "Enable Java."

BOOM. Done. The applet won't run, it can't deliver its payload, the world is safe.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

BOOM. Done. The applet won't run, it can't deliver its payload, the world is safe.

Unplug computer. Boom, done. You are safe.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

You should also uncheck the General, "Open safe files after downloading" option-- the one which Apple thinks is a good idea to enable by default.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Why would anyone click "Allow" in this context?

Couldnt be more obvious than that. Whoever falls for that trap deserves it..
  • Reply 47 of 94
    Quote:

• Reply 48 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Hmmm. Sounds kinda mean-spirited to me. Yes, on the one hand, it's better to be safe than sorry, but there's really no need to take a "blame the victim" stance on this. The fact that the dialogue box was designed with an "allow" button suggests that there are some instances where it's not malicious. I'm not much of a computer geek, so I don't really know what "digital signatures" mean, and because of that I tend to err on the side of caution. I think people who just click "allow" all the time are not particularly smart, but I wouldn't say they "deserve" being victimized by the consequences.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

And this is (one reason) why Apple is getting rid of Java and Flash on Macs, kids.

This is such an idiotic thing to say in light of iPhone/iOS jailbreaking. Do you even know what the fuck jail breaking is?

It is a security exploit that allows unauthorized third party to inject and execute arbitrary code on your device. In this case code "unlocks" your device and gives you root privileges.

And this happens each time days after new iOS is released. In fact, one of the latest exploits can be done from a freaking web page (jailbreak iPhone by visiting a web page)!!! How's that for iOS security?

Yet, some idiot like you it bitching about Java "exploit" which is not really exploit, but social engineering asking idiotic user to install malware for them.

Jesus man, OS X users are the stupidest of users out there.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Ugh. This kind of remark never fails to creep me out. Maybe you're not doing as good a job developing the software as you think you are. Ever consider that?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot- proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
  • Reply 51 of 94
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if OS X even sandboxes the documents directory separately (like the iPhone) for each application in the future (Lion maybe?) to make this even less of an issue.

I hope not! I don't want to be asked every time I want to open a JPEG in GraphicConverter instead of PS, or a PDF in Preview instead of Acrobat Reader, for "permission" simply because those weren't the programs that created the original document.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

It may shock you, but not everyone who uses computers are technically inclined (btw, if you are reading/replying to this thread, you are technically inclined). Applet? Access? What sort of permission? It's obvious to YOU. But to grandma? A 10-year old?

All they know is they want to watch the video the link leads to. And of course I want to watch it on my computer, so I'll allow it. They don't realize that other things can be going on in the background that they are not aware of. Or are you suggesting that only people with Masters degrees should be allowed to use computers?

(It does however suggest that grandma and little Johnny should not be logging into your computer with an admin account! )
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot- proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Yes, the real problem in the world is that most people don't think like software engineers. It's not software engineers who are failing, it's everybody else.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

It looks like in the near future I may have to purchase antivirus, no?

Why? Based on this story?

This is a story about a trojan that DOES NOT WORK.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Good point. How can a program that does malicious things that you _deliberately_ install be considered a trojan? Sounds like this is a misclassification by these "security firms".

In the city of Troy, man years ago, the Trojans _deliberately_ allowed a horse to enter. The horse was filled with malicious things.

That is where the name came from.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalTroll

Maybe. How many other OSes are affected by this exploit?

Oh for f**ks sake! This is not an OS exploit!

Cool.

But Java runs everywhere.

So obviously a Java exploit is affecting every OS it runs on.

Can you kindly tell us which other OSes have seen this exploit?
  • Reply 56 of 94
    Quote:

You've A: Answered your own question or B: Don't know when to quit.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Or to put it in layman's terms...You are the hole!

Funny!

Reminds me of the joke years back about the Quaker email 'worm/virus' that stated something like: this is a low-tech virus. please go to your c: drive and delete all files. thank thee.
  • Reply 58 of 94
    Quote:

Cool.

I think the point Mr. H is trying to make is that while viruses look for vulnerabilities within the design of an OS, a trojan horse takes advantage of the vulnerabilities of a user by embedding itself into a piece of software the user is likely to install or "allow". So, discussion about OS exploits is kind of moot.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:

Cool.

Oh for f**ks sake again! This is not an exploit of any flaw in any software, be it OS, Java, or anything else. It is an exploit of the user, and that's it!
  • Reply 60 of 94
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Confirms Apple's decision to remove Java.