Mossberg: Apple's new MacBook Air offers iPad-like experience

Comments

• Reply 121 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I think Steve meant mostly in terms of manufacturing and design technique (i.e. Flash drive on a card rather than a a drive enclosure, slim design, battery dominance, cramming lots of hi-techness in a very small physical space) as opposed to operation/user experience. Obviously there are differences between OS X and iOS. The functional similarity between the iPad and the MBA is the "instant-on" capability.

He did say, after all (I'm paraphrasing here): "We took what we learned about how to make the iPad and applied it to the new MBAs". I see no fundamental problem with that claim.

This instant on idea is total hogwash. I have tested them and yes, they wake up faster than a MB or MBP by 1 or 2 seconds. I am sorry, that is not a feature most people care about...it is hyperbole. The batter life is rather unimpressive (for Apple). If they had built the machine so that it was not wedge-shaped then it could have a significantly larger area for the battery, allowing for another 30% or more battery life. AND the machine would have still been very thin and light. This is a prime example of Job's form over function.
  • Reply 122 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

What? None of this makes any sense. Even the old Powerbook G4s could sleep for 3-4 days before the battery was drained. 1 to 8 hours? That's the battery life of a laptop continuously powered on! There's no way sleep could possibly eat that much power. What heat issues? I've never seen a sleeping laptop that got hot or even vaguely warm. The whole point of sleep is to just keep the dynamic RAM powered up so its contents aren't lost. Just how much power do you think it takes to refresh RAM?

Hmm. I know my Macbook Alu 2ghz can go at most overnight in sleep mode without power connected before it shuts down. When I say 1 to 8 hours I mean depending on how much battery you've already used. It could get warm if you put it in a tight bag in ambient temperatures of 30degC / 90+degF.

What laptop do you have? What's your experience so far. Curious. I don't think the current crop of Intel laptops can go more than okay, say, 24 hours in sleep mode without shutting down to Deep Sleep.

Anyone?
  • Reply 123 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm pretty sure it's a stage of sleep, maybe its a definition problem or a communication problem. Apple likes to give its own term to things, and that throws people off. Last I recall, Intel has something like five or more stages of sleep. It seems to me that "Instant On" might be a bit of a misnomer because the machine is never really off.

My question is how much battery life is left after one month? Are we going to turn in on "instantly" only to have the OS say it needs to shut the system down in 10 minutes because the battery is drained?
  • Reply 124 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

This instant on idea is total hogwash. I have tested them and yes, they wake up faster than a MB or MBP by 1 or 2 seconds. I am sorry, that is not a feature most people care about...it is hyperbole. The batter life is rather unimpressive (for Apple). If they had built the machine so that it was not wedge-shaped then it could have a significantly larger area for the battery, allowing for another 30% or more battery life. AND the machine would have still been very thin and light. This is a prime example of Job's form over function.

But this is what I'm talking about. When you tested it, how long was the MBA asleep for? If it was asleep less than one hour, then it's normal wake from sleep, not Instant On. Instant On applies after it has been in sleep mode for MORE than one hour and it went into Standby Mode.
  • Reply 125 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

My question is how much battery life is left after one month? Are we going to turn in on "instantly" only to have the OS say it needs to shut the system down in 10 minutes because the battery is drained?

I think that is basically what it means: anytime within about a month you can come back to your MBA and it will start up with an appearance of ?Instant On?, but how long it stay on without a supplemental power source depends on the remaining charge.

Quote:

Put MacBook Air to sleep*, and it enters standby mode to conserve battery life for up to 30 days.1

[?]

The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network, to enter deep sleep mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

• Reply 126 of 147
    Quote:

Aw, come on... You know what they mean by up to 30 days standby. Sure, after 25 days maybe you only have several minutes left when you wake it up.

But the point is, say after 28 days, you could then charge it and then after that resume from exactly where it went to sleep, with all your apps and documents open. What other laptop in the world can be in instant on standby/sleep mode for weeks and still be woken up from it instantly to original running state with RAM as it was, etc.?

The point remains, if the claims are correct, we're basically talking about laptops that are never restarted and never shut down for weeks. Months if you recharge it from time to time.
  • Reply 127 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Aw, come on... You know what they mean by up to 30 days standby. Sure, after 25 days maybe you only have several minutes left when you wake it up.

But the point is, say after 28 days, you could then charge it and then after that resume from exactly where it went to sleep, with all your apps and documents open. What other laptop in the world can be in instant on standby/sleep mode for weeks and still be woken up from it instantly to original running state with RAM as it was, etc.?

The point remains, if the claims are correct, we're basically talking about laptops that are never restarted and never shut down for weeks. Months if you recharge it from time to time.

Just an assumption, but after the battery gets to low I would expect that it would do a proper shutdown, the way iOS-baed iDevice do to preserve themselves.
  • Reply 128 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just an assumption, but after the battery gets to low I would expect that it would do a proper shutdown, the way iOS-baed iDevice do to preserve themselves.

But on iOS such shutdown does not preserve the state of running apps, right? It boots up fresh once power is restored... Macs do deep sleep/hibernate where contents of memory are written to disk and the unit totally powered off, then restored to running state when it is powered and turned on again.

So I guess the Macbook Air would have several states as such:

Running

Sleep - Normal sleep

Standby - Instant On

SleepingBeauty - Contents of memory written to disk, unit fully powered off
  • Reply 129 of 147
    Quote:

But on iOS such shutdown does not preserve the state of running apps, right? It boots up fresh once power is restored... Macs do deep sleep/hibernate where contents of memory are written to disk and the unit totally powered off, then restored to running state when it is powered and turned on again.

So I guess the Macbook Air would have several states as such:

Running

Sleep - Normal sleep

Standby - Instant On

SleepingBeauty - Contents of memory written to disk, unit fully powered off

You?re right. My mistake, it wouldn?t have to do a proper shutdown because it?s already saved the RAM contents to NAND.
  • Reply 130 of 147
    Quote:

At least they are trying. It?s not as if the mods get paid for their service.

In some circles (I get the term from Bruce Schneier), it is called Security Theater. It gives the appearance of robust action, despite the near-total lack of tangible results.
  • Reply 131 of 147
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Hmm. I know my Macbook Alu 2ghz can go at most overnight in sleep mode without power connected before it shuts down. When I say 1 to 8 hours I mean depending on how much battery you've already used. It could get warm if you put it in a tight bag in ambient temperatures of 30degC / 90+degF.

What laptop do you have? What's your experience so far. Curious. I don't think the current crop of Intel laptops can go more than okay, say, 24 hours in sleep mode without shutting down to Deep Sleep.

Anyone?

Sounds like you have problems with your battery.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36158
  • Reply 132 of 147
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Compare Walt Mossberg's reviews to David Pogue's and you'll have your answer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

So where is yours so we can all see how it should be done?

• Reply 133 of 147
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'm surprised that nobody has posted about the lack of TRIM in OS X. The performance of the Air may very well degrade over time. Without TRIM it could degrade even rather quickly.

Anyone familiar with SSD on the earlier Airs? Has your performance decreased over time?

Maybe 10.7 will include it. Lack of TRIM may be one reason that Apple upgrades iPhone with a complete overwrite instead of incremental patches. When you start using SSD as a full featured OS, there are thousands of rewrite blocks that ultimately need to be erased and that can only happen a finite number of times with flash.
  • Reply 134 of 147
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I did. I know what I'm talking about.

You sure aren't explaining what you're talking about, and I really would appreciate it if you did.
  • Reply 135 of 147
    Quote:

Almost worth it. Now if Apple would only add a multitouch display that can flip and fold back over the keyboard like the convertible PC tablets...

In the official Apple video introduction to the new MacBook Air, Phil Schiller Explained exactly why that would lead to an awkward and uncomfortable user experience, and I couldn't agree more. Touch input devices should be kept separate from traditional input methods, as Mac OS X is designed for more precise selection that in many cases a finger would be to large for efficient use.

As for the convertible PC tablets... Well, I wouldn't be looking to get an Apple if I wanted a typical, fragile, and blunt PC tablet type device. The zen-like experience of using a Mac notebook is lost when adding functionality that might appeal to a narrower group of people.
  • Reply 136 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hyperscribble View Post

In the official Apple video introduction to the new MacBook Air, Phil Schiller Explained exactly why that would lead to an awkward and uncomfortable user experience, and I couldn't agree more. Touch input devices should be kept separate from traditional input methods, as Mac OS X is designed for more precise selection that in many cases a finger would be to large for efficient use.

I still think that large trackpad could be very useful if it had a visual output option. Besides making the calculator app much easier to use, now that Apple is pushing toward iOS-like fullscreen computing, having the trackpad area also being a display could let it list the clock, menu bar items and other useful stats. Even have little pop ups for IMs and Mail.

The potential usefulness is endless and it?s something other vendors can?t compete with easily if the history of Synaptics multi-touch adoption and usability in other OSes are any indication.
  • Reply 137 of 147
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I still think that large trackpad could be very useful if it had a visual output option. Besides making the calculator app much easier to use, now that Apple is pushing toward iOS-like fullscreen computing, having the trackpad area also being a display could let it list the clock, menu bar items and other useful stats. Even have little pop ups for IMs and Mail.

The potential usefulness is endless and it’s something other vendors can’t compete with easily if the history of Synaptics multi-touch adoption and usability in other OSes are any indication.

It would also replicate the experience of using as small touch pad as a remote for Apple TV apps. Glance down at your control surface, glance back up at your main screen. Synergy, baby!
  • Reply 138 of 147
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Sounds like you have problems with your battery.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36158

Wow. Yet again the Mac surprises me.

I have two batteries for my MacBook Alu 2ghz. One gives me about 3-5 hours normal usage, the original one about 3 hours... This original one is about 100 cycles and yeah, that's not too many cycles and should not be that bad as lasting only 3 hours, however it is not "bad enough" to be considered defective and replaced by Apple. Particularly after the 1st year of AppleCare protection even though you have the full 3 year warranty.

Nonetheless, with the weaker battery, I tried last night, and it only went down from about 98% to 91% in about 6 hours or so! That's at worse 2% drain per hour which would give about 2 days of sleep!

I have no idea why I never noticed this before. Maybe my previous MacBook Core Duo had some issues or I never tried to sleep it that long. I'm quite pleasantly stunned.

See, this is the kind of sh*t I'm talking about with being in such a Windows cheapo laptop world. Even after almost a decade of using the Mac I can't believe how good some features are.

The latest MacBook Pros must have some killer battery life. 5-8 hours usage and at least 3 days of sleep from a full charge.
  • Reply 139 of 147
    Quote:

The potential usefulness is endless and it’s something other vendors can’t compete with easily if the history of Synaptics multi-touch adoption and usability in other OSes are any indication.

You know, in the long run, I think that the entire keyboard/palm rest/trackpad should be a piece of multitouch glass display. It'll be hybrid in terms of the bottom part like a tablet and the upper screen just for displaying information. There will also be tactile feedback somehow on the soft keyboard for touch typing.

Imagine the paradigm. For the first time a "laptop" (and eventually desktop "keyboards") will have a totally customisable human-input-interface. Maybe some apps don't need a keyboard and trackpad. Maybe some apps have a better interface than this, and so the bottom surface can be that interface controlling the screen in a unique but appropriate way.

The Nintendo DS could provide some basic clues how this might work with dual screens.

Also, this multitouch display laptop as I describe would be a true iPad-like Mac laptop.
  • Reply 140 of 147
    Quote:

The goal of an Apple product is to offer an elemental, refined, simple user interface. One must take into account the overall aesthetic, apart from the fact that if a display multitouch trackpad were added to a Mac notebook, the price would likely soar only for the purpose of adding limited functionality. Battery life may plummet. While I can see how you might find this an interesting idea "on paper," it may be more of a show off device suited for an expo of some sort.