Apple beats Microsoft in fall quarterly earnings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

They don't even make the Zune, or XBox 360.

How is this different from Foxconn making the iPhone for Apple? It's not Steve Jobs and his merry elves making Apple's hardware.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Can we even compare Apple to Microsoft anymore? Apple is a hardware company. Microsoft is a software company. Who's the irrelevant one if such a label even applies??

This stuff is of vital importance to the low ranking employees at Apple. Each bit of good news means one less pleb that gets a crafty hallway ninja-punch to the throat by Jobs.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dazweeja View Post

How is this different from Foxconn making the iPhone for Apple? It's not Steve Jobs and his merry elves making Apple's hardware.

What he means is that Apple designs all their products, which i assume you knew but are just being argumentative. To ‘make’ your own products doesn’t mean that a company like Apple would have to mine their own aluminium using Apple employees and so on until it becomes a Mac. T

MS may design their own HW now but I know the original Zune was at least a rebranded Creative Zen, with a slightly different appearance. That’s not designing your own product. Apple makes their own products, they don’t simply buy someone else’s product and put their logo on it.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dazweeja View Post

Apple's software does not run Foxconn-branded hardware.

Actually, let me take that a step further: with the exception of those that are given away -- e.g., iTunes, Safari -- Apple's software does not run on non-Apple hardware.

Spot the difference?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

with the exception of those that are given away -- e.g., iTunes, Safari -- Apple's software does not run on non-Apple hardware.

Not legally anyway
  • Reply 26 of 38
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple's software does not run Foxconn-branded hardware.

Actually, let me take that a step further: with the exception of those that are given away -- e.g., iTunes, Safari -- Apple's software does not run on non-Apple hardware.

Spot the difference?

What about MobileMe?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What he means is that Apple designs all their products, which i assume you knew but are just being argumentative. To ?make? your own products doesn?t mean that a company like Apple would have to mine their own aluminium using Apple employees and so on until it becomes a Mac. T

MS may design their own HW now but I know the original Zune was at least a rebranded Creative Zen, with a slightly different appearance. That?s not designing your own product. Apple makes their own products, they don?t simply buy someone else?s product and put their logo on it.

Either way the original comment is off. The Zune and the XBox are Microsoft branded, so in the context of this discussion Microsoft makes hardware. Ask anyone on the street, who makes XBoxes are they going to tell you it's XX design company and YY Chinese factory? You people are just being silly.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

What about MobileMe?

MobileMe is a web-based service. If you are referring to the app, that is free, though of course will only be able to sync to the MobileMe servers with an active account.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarZen View Post

Ask anyone on the street, who makes XBoxes are they going to tell you it's XX design company and YY Chinese factory?

Um, yeah, that?s why companies forego any engineering efforts and only brand a product.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Oh please...As much as I find Ballmer painful to look at and to listen to, Apple would have had the same success if Gates had stayed on as Microsoft's chief.

Anyone remember the D5 "All-digital conference" in 1H 07 where Walt Mossberg interviewed both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, which occurred shortly before the release of the initial iPhone? I wish they would do one now after Apple's onslaught of successes, which is, of course, ongoing, and for all we know, Apple's stock price will double again in the three years. It might go a little differently today.

Actually MS released Windows 7, Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Phone 7 under Ballmer... some of their best products ever.

Vista was Gates child, such as Windows Mobile 6.x. And it took MS ages to move from XP and Server 2003 under Gates.

I can't see Gates was leading MS better than Ballmer in the last decade.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Actually MS released Windows 7, Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Phone 7 under Ballmer... some of their best products ever.

Vista was Gates child, such as Windows Mobile 6.x. And it took MS ages to move from XP and Server 2003 under Gates.

I agree. Gates' success, such as it was, happened more because of competitors' missteps than Gates' execution. Windows 7 isn't a bad product, Windows Phone 7 looks to be decent. Gates was wrong over and over again in his "vision" of the future. But its still hard to criticize the guy now that he is doing so much good.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Agree. The most irony is all this Apple's success happened when Windows 7 is the best Windows yet. The problem Microsoft faces is that their customers have no brand loyalty.. at all. Even with their best product the customers still look elsewhere.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Agree. The most irony is all this Apple's success happened when Windows 7 is the best Windows yet. The problem Microsoft faces is that their customers have no brand loyalty.. at all. Even with their best product the customers still look elsewhere.

Well, that's the beauty of competition
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Let?s keep in mind that MS broke several of its own records this quarter and beat the street again, including 51% YoY net profit increase. In an odd twist of numbers, Apple bested Apple?s revenue by ≈25% but MS bested Apple?s net profit by ≈25%.

Even with such a negative mindshare these days MS is still a very strong and powerful company. While I expect Apple to beat MS? net profit within the next couple quarters MS is and will be a force to be reckoned with for a long time to come.

Seconded.

Has anyone ever stopped to think exactly what physical commodity in the tangible world a software company actually sells to its customer?

Incredible - just a series of areas of high magnetic density (representing a logic "1") and low magnetic density (logic "0") on an inexpensive storage medium (CD/DVD/Digital download).

Compare that to your average Industrial Revolution era enterprise - Shipbuilding, the Oil Industry, Steelworks, Mining... and compare the relative earnings (well, leaving oil out).

We are slowly but surely entering the era of Mental Technology, where gigantically tangible services, revenues and profits will be made off completely intangible, invisible products and processes.

The dawning of the Age of Aquarius.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

We are slowly but surely entering the era of Mental Technology, where gigantically tangible services, revenues and profits will be made off completely intangible, invisible products and processes.

The dawning of the Age of Aquarius.

Consider this, Throughout most of human history the ?elderly? were revered for their knowledge and ability pass down the history even though they could no longer contribute physically to society. The move to recorded history changed that to an extent, but with the Internet and computers it?s really been altered as exact records of audio, video and original texts can be saved and recalled almost immediately. Where does that leave our our aging society? How will any effects be compounded by the ever increasing methods to keep the senescent population living longer, thus increasing the number of retirees each year?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Headline:

Apple beats Microsoft in fall quarterly earnings

Text:

Microsoft still ahead in profits

Seemingly, "earnings" and "profits" mean different things at AI?

I would think earnings involves ALL the money made from selling products to the consumer. Profits means what remains when you take away production cost.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Where does that leave our our aging society? How will any effects be compounded by the ever increasing methods to keep the senescent population living longer, thus increasing the number of retirees each year?

In the US they will be sent to retirement homes and cared for by the seemingly endless supply of illiterate, unskilled, foreigners earning minimum wage while our government subsidizes the expense for all of their childcare.

We have plenty of money to go around. Not to worry. 200 million for an air defense radar system given to Pakistan, 1.7 billion to defense contractors to build cruise missiles. Just one smallish bomb costs $10,000. Healthcare, education, pollution, repair of infrastructure, protecting our borders, forget about it. Why waste money on useless stuff like that?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In the US they will be sent to retirement homes and cared for by the seemingly endless supply of illiterate, unskilled, foreigners earning minimum wage while our government subsidizes the expense for all of their childcare.

We have plenty of money to go around. Not to worry. 200 million for an air defense radar system given to Pakistan, 1.7 billion to defense contractors to build cruise missiles. Just one smallish bomb costs $10,000. Healthcare, education, pollution, repair of infrastructure, protecting our borders, forget about it. Why waste money on useless stuff like that?

I was just passing by people running a drive to raise money for St Jude's Children's Hospital. On the surface a noble enterprise but then it occurred to me... Why is the US the only first world country where you need a charity to help save children's lives? Why, like all other first world countries, aren't all children covered free of charge? ... Oh yes, I forgot that's considered communist here.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why, like all other first world countries, aren't all children covered free of charge? ... Oh yes, I forgot that's considered communist here.

Funny how that ?scoialist/communist? term doesn?t work the same way when you apply it to Social Security benefits for the retired. Then the argument is that it?s not enough.