Review: Apple's 2010 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 101 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

No Gigabit Ethernet, just 10/100 due to the limitations of USB 2. No Firewire at all.

Ethernet and Firewire connectors will not fit on the MacBook Air. It would have to be thicker. As it is, the lower (less height) USB connectors barely fit. If you need these, get a MacBook Pro.

From the article: "$199 iPod touch" Perhaps someone sells the iPod touch at a discount, but the lowest list price is $229. While that's only $30 for the buyer, it's 15% for the seller and would make a huge impact on margins.
  • Reply 102 of 132
    mosxmosx Posts: 26member
    I might have missed someone else already pointing this out, since I just skimmed through the comments. But..

The nvidia GeForce 320M is NOT a dedicated GPU. It is an integrated chipset. Just like the 9400M was. It takes a GPU and all of the various system chips and integrates them all into one giant chip. It does NOT have dedicated memory.

And as others have pointed out, the iPad only has 256MB of RAM. Not 1GB.
  • Reply 103 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Your completely wrong here.

MacBook Airs are delicate (the old model is anyway). Everyone knows this. ... There are so many broken MacBook Airs...

The main failure points... a lot of them just have random failure (as in just stopping dead one day), w

It sounds to me like you just hate Apple.
  • Reply 104 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

It sounds to me like you just hate Apple.

• Reply 105 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm still pissed that they dropped the backlit keyboard. That's one of the best features on my 13" MBP and my wife's first gen MBA. The new 13" is only a tad but thinner than the old one so there is no excuse.

Design trumps functionality I guess

Hell, what functionality? I touch-type (on Dvorak, and previously on QWERTY). I pitty those who speaks about backlit function - they are so unproductive. (well, me too, when I read AppleInsider )
  • Reply 106 of 132
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

Hell, what functionality? I touch-type (on Dvorak, and previously on QWERTY). I pitty those who speaks about backlit function - they are so unproductive. (well, me too, when I read AppleInsider )

So I guess that Apple is just wasting its time including the backlight on every MacBook Pro and the previous MacBook Airs?
  • Reply 107 of 132
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    no, but it's a gimmick, just like itunes control buttons on the keyboard or an ambient light sensor.
  • Reply 108 of 132
    Quote:

Yeah, I agree. The care factor would be low.

That being said, even with all of my bitching, I'm still going to get a 13" MacBook Air I'm just waiting for MacMall to come back in stock with them. After the additional Apple Insider 3% discount, you can get the 128GB, 4GB model for $1,309 -- so you're basically getting the 4GB upgrade for $9. You can't pass that up.

And then I'm gonna turn around and sell my 13" MacBook Pro with its upgraded 160GB X25-M SSD and 4GB of RAM.

That's sort of my situation. I wanted the 4gb upgrade since I use Parallels to run windows and like to run lots of programs simultaneously.

I have a 13" macbook pro w 4gb ram and 160gb drive.

My new MBA came today, been using it for 1 hour.

Initial thoughts...

1. first time I used migration assistant, it took only 22 minutes for about 80gb of data!

2. WOW to the screen - same screen size as the macbook pro but feels like 50% larger due to resolution - now I see what the comparisons to the 15" model were about...

3. anyone using Parallels to run windows xp and/or 7, like me, is in for a surprise (I have both 7 and xp installed). A pleasant surprise..... the virtual machines definitely run FASTER and load FASTER due to the ssd's. Love it!

4. I tried to get the 6 month no interest deal for $1309 from macmall - their bank turned me down even though I have a great score and excellent credit history. So I went to apple, got the education discount (which also applies to the ram upgrade) and I received the same package for $1338 - $30 bucks more - but the barclays deal gives you 12 months interest free so it seemed comparable.

So far I think the MBA 13" is great!
  • Reply 109 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

no, but it's a gimmick, just like itunes control buttons on the keyboard or an ambient light sensor.

In your opinion...

That being said, just about every review of the new MacBook Airs has bitched about the backlit keyboard being deleted and it seems like a valid concern.

AnandTech:

Quote:

Neither of the new MacBook Airs have a backlit keyboard. I do a lot of writing in bed at night and I do miss the backlit keyboard. For touch typists it?s not a problem, but if you switch between the MacBook Air and other computers regularly you?ll find yourself fumbling for the function keys in the dark.

Engadget:

Quote:

but the latter can actually be a little problematic. When typing in dark settings, you now have almost no sense of which key is which, and even in low light (in front a TV, for instance), the lack of guidance on the keyboard is somewhat bothersome. It would be nice to see Apple give users a choice here

Gizmodo:

Quote:

Not having a backlit keyboard is like not having HBO; you don't really need it, but notice when it's gone.

Notebook Review:

Quote:

Noticeably, the keyboard on the new MacBook Air models is not backlit, a downgrade from prior models. Likely a cost-cutting measure, it's also unfortunate, as Apple seemed to standardize around the backlit keyboard - it certainly makes low-light computing much easier.

Laptop Magazine:

Quote:

The only bummer is that the keys aren't backlit; that's the price you pay for such a slim profile.

Boy Genius Report:

Quote:

We miss the backlit keyboard which existed on the first generation MacBook Air and we miss the ambient light sensor even though we basically would fight it on all occasions.

CNET:

Quote:

Typing was typically excellent, but we're so used to the backlit keys on other MacBooks, we missed it instantly.

I guess all of those people are "newbs" using a "gimmick" feature
  • Reply 110 of 132
    Today (well, technically yesterday seeing as it's 2AM), I received my maxed out 11.6" 'Air from Apple via FedEx. I'd sold my 13" 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro the week before to get it. Even though I checked out the new 'Air at my local Best Buy, I still cannot believe how stunning it is in person; how such a powerful machine (considering its size) could possibly be packed into something so incredibly svelte. The details and the lines are so refined and beautiful. This is easily one of the most gorgeous pieces of Apple hardware I've ever owned. Photos of the machine cannot begin to describe the real life experience of sitting in front of it.

As far as performance, I haven't had a chance to push the 1.6Ghz processor yet, but the nVidia 320m is just as swift as ever. The four gigabytes of ram will surely come in handy when I get into some heavy projects. It feels very different using this computer compared to my other Apple notebooks in the past for a variety of reasons, but especially in knowing that inside of the computer are components I've not yet had on any of the others. After installing all of my pro Applications, such as a select few from Adobe and Apple (from Final Cut Studio), I still have about 100GB of storage space available. Start up time is so low that I turn my computer on whenever I think about it, rather than deciding to wait until later to perform a trivial task as I did with my hard disk-based machine.

The Intel HD Audio processor is just as good as I'd hoped paired up with on-ear Bose Tri-Port headphones. All in all it's a great machine that practically begs to be used.
  • Reply 111 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

...The only thing to hope for is that a 15" MBA is in the works that will start at 256 Mb, have 4 Gb of memory, a faster chip AND a backlit keyboard

...In which case one would probably just go with a MacBook Pro; a 15" MBA would naturally defeat the purpose of having an 'Air in the first place.
  • Reply 112 of 132
    Quote:

I guess all of those people are "newbs" using a "gimmick" feature

Probably not newbs, but succumbing to the usual media hype about a negative aspect of an otherwise widely appraised apple product. You know, as a journalist, you're always supposed to write a balanced story or review, so you feel a lot of peer pressure not simply raving about something, but instead, apparently writing a "solid" review that lists pros and cons. With Apple's media attention and coverage being widely very positive, you're hard pressed to actually find something to complain about.

Same thing happened with the iPhone4, if you recall. The antenna issue turned out to be about 1000 times less of an issue than it was reported widely in the media. Do you remember ANY other negative comment about the new phone apart from the antenna issue and the proximity sensor troubles?

Do you, from the top of your head, recall any other negative aspect of the 11" MBA apart from the lack of backlit keyboard and maybe the lower battery life?

You're quite wrong if you think that journalists, bloggers and other writers on the internet are not influenced by their, albeit digital, environment. If you were to write a review on the MBA and not at least mention the lack of a backlit keyboard, who do you think would take you seriously?

On the internet, if something is repeated a million times, that does not mean it is any more correct or relevant.

Want more proof? Google the word "judgement", then google "judgment". Now guess which one is the correct spelling.
  • Reply 113 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Probably not newbs, but succumbing to the usual media hype about a negative aspect of an otherwise widely appraised apple product. You know, as a journalist, you're always supposed to write a balanced story or review, so you feel a lot of peer pressure not simply raving about something, but instead, apparently writing a "solid" review that lists pros and cons. With Apple's media attention and coverage being widely very positive, you're hard pressed to actually find something to complain about.

Same thing happened with the iPhone4, if you recall. The antenna issue turned out to be about 1000 times less of an issue than it was reported widely in the media. Do you remember ANY other negative comment about the new phone apart from the antenna issue and the proximity sensor troubles?

Do you, from the top of your head, recall any other negative aspect of the 11" MBA apart from the lack of backlit keyboard and maybe the lower battery life?

You're quite wrong if you think that journalists, bloggers and other writers on the internet are not influenced by their, albeit digital, environment. If you were to write a review on the MBA and not at least mention the lack of a backlit keyboard, who do you think would take you seriously?

On the internet, if something is repeated a million times, that does not mean it is any more correct or relevant.

Want more proof? Google the word "judgement", then google "judgment". Now guess which one is the correct spelling.

You seem to be missing the point though. As I said before, I am purchasing a new MacBook Air 13 as soon as the 4GB models come back in stock.

And yes, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives... but the backlit keyboard is HIGHLY disappointing to me. I have the right to voice that concern. Just because I don't agree with Apple's decision not to include it doesn't mean that my opinion on the matter isn't "relevant". I just take issue with the fact that some of you folks seem to jump instantly to Apple's defense on every product decision they make and seem to think that such a feature doesn't matter to people.

It's the same way I don't agree with Apple's decision to change the orientation lock on the iPad. Just because Apple deemed it "justified" doesn't mean I have to agree 100%
  • Reply 114 of 132
    Quote:

You seem to be missing the point though. As I said before, I am purchasing a new MacBook Air 13 as soon as the 4GB models come back in stock.

And yes, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives... but the backlit keyboard is HIGHLY disappointing to me. I have the right to voice that concern. Just because I don't agree with Apple's decision not to include it doesn't mean that my opinion on the matter isn't "relevant". I just take issue with the fact that some of you folks seem to jump instantly to Apple's defense on every product decision they make and seem to think that such a feature doesn't matter to people.

It's the same way I don't agree with Apple's decision to change the orientation lock on the iPad. Just because Apple deemed it "justified" doesn't mean I have to agree 100%

I think the orientation lock on the iPad going software only is alright.

But I do wish the MBAs had a backlit keyboard. That would be the real icing on the cake. I would say it had to do with profit margins, they had to draw the line somewhere. Pity.

In any case as much as I love the design of the 11" I already have a MacBook Alu 2ghz with no backlit keyboard as my main OSX device so I don't need another OSX device. iOS is HUGE going into the next few years, OSX is great but has to be retrofitted heavily over the next few years for all the clueless new users coming on board to the Mac.
  • Reply 115 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But I do wish the MBAs had a backlit keyboard. That would be the real icing on the cake. I would say it had to do with profit margins, they had to draw the line somewhere. Pity.

It could be, but I still can?t my queries answered as to how much the backlit keyboard costs, if their is room in the current design for the backlit keyboard system used in the other Mac notebooks.

It?s possible that they could add it, but at a cost that is much higher than the current system as it would be need to be reengineered to be smaller, thus affecting their target price points. But if that is the case, then why not offer it as a BTO option for the higher-end models? It?s possible that it?s just not feasible at this time with that chassis.

While I don?t see it as a deal breaker feature, one thing to note is that what set the MBA apart from other light, ultra-portable notebooks is the full-sized keyboard so I fully understand if others don?t like it. My advice to them is to not buy a new MBA.
  • Reply 116 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hyperscribble View Post

...In which case one would probably just go with a MacBook Pro; a 15" MBA would naturally defeat the purpose of having an 'Air in the first place.

I look forward to a really sweet 13" 1440x900 MBP that drops the HDD and SuperDrive thereby shaving off at least 1/3 the weight. Which I think... will be the next MBP 13". The MBP 15" will also drop the SuperDrive and be slimmed down. 17" hmm I don't know. Maybe a product cycle later.
  • Reply 117 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It could be, but I still can’t my queries answered as to how much the backlit keyboard costs, if their is room in the current design for the backlit keyboard system used in the other Mac notebooks.

It’s possible that they could add it, but at a cost that is much higher than the current system as it would be need to be reengineered to be smaller, thus affecting their target price points. But if that is the case, then why not offer it as a BTO option for the higher-end models? It’s possible that it’s just not feasible at this time with that chassis.

While I don’t see it as a deal breaker feature, one thing to note is that what set the MBA apart from other light, ultra-portable notebooks is the full-sized keyboard so I fully understand if others don’t like it. My advice to them is to not buy a new MBA.

I think it was profit margin but admittedly also space/engineering. It's a bloody ambitious design.

That's where I think Steve comes in. He's very good with managing feature creep.

You know what was probably the dealbreaker with the backlight? It didn't "feel" right with whatever they attempted. Maybe the lighting felt "cheap" or didn't shine through the keyboard properly or something so they axed it for now.

Best part? If it is in the next MBA then that's one of the big things that will compel you to upgrade!

Either way, Apple wins! They are in the f***ing zone, man.
  • Reply 118 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think it was profit margin but admittedly also space/engineering. It's a bloody ambitious design.

That's where I think Steve comes in. He's very good with managing feature creep.

Fictitious scenario: Cost of new backlighting too costly, Apple decided to hold off but plans to incorporate it into all future Mac notebooks with backlit keyboards thus lowering the costs of engineering and components and making it possible for next MBA revision from economy of scale and also giving new MBPs a little more room to spare.
  • Reply 119 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Fictitious scenario: Cost of new backlighting too costly, Apple decided to hold off but plans to incorporate it into all future Mac notebooks with backlit keyboards thus lowering the costs of engineering and components and making it possible for next MBA revision from economy of scale and also giving new MBPs a little more room to spare.

Excellent theory.
  • Reply 120 of 132
    What those of you who don't have an MBP to compare the MBA to may be missing is that the keys on the MBA are already considerably more shallow than on the MBP. I'm pretty sure it was a space issue. They simply couldn't spare the extra 2mm to fit a backlight under an already slimmed down keyboard. Either way, while it may be a missing feature to some, it's certainly not a dealbreaker. You either need an ultraportable, or you don't.