New MacBook Pro 13" at the horizon ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, four questions :

1. When was the current MBP 13" released ?

2. When can we expect a new MBP 13" ?

3. What can we expect for a new 13" version ?

4. Will Apple sell the "old" version while selling a new one, to clear stocks ? What should be the refurbished price of the current 13", when a new version is out ?

EDIT : I guess I can use the examples here as an answer to the fourth question :

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...co=MTcwMDIxMjA

Personally, I'm not interested in the MBA anymore, and the 15" is too big for my needs...

I would like to have a MBP 13" with an higher resolution matte screen, flash storage instead of the standard slow HD and without the useless CD/DVD drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    1. April 13th, 2010

2. Q1 2011

3. Hard to say, there are plenty of options. Hopefully, maybe even likely a Sandy Bridge CPU. 1440x900 is more or less confirmed due to MBA but otherwise the doors are still open. Maybe the optical drive is removed for better battery life and possibly a discrete GPU
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post

1440x900 is more or less confirmed due to MBA but otherwise the doors are still open. Maybe the optical drive is removed for better battery life and possibly a discrete GPU

If you're who I think you are, welcome.

Why is 1440x900 confirmed? It'd be just like Apple to NOT do that.

Hopefully they'll get rid of the ODD, but I don't see it myself.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It is sort of confirmed because the MBAs 13'' also have that. The MBAs have always been known for valueing portability and weight more than specs. If that is the case, then it is only logical that on the MBPs - known to be more focused on the specsy side of stuff - also get 1440*900.

I too hope they ditch the ODD. A dedicated GPU and/or more battery life would be fantastic. I can only pray...
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blues003 View Post

It is sort of confirmed because the MBAs 13'' also have that.

That's what I mean. It would be just like Apple to NOT give us 1440x900.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blues003 View Post

Mods, please delete this message. (#5)

Just report the post for deletion.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess I am. And thank you.

Quote:

At least I would find it ridiculous that the 999$ 11.6" MBA had more pixels than the 1499$ 13" MBP. Maybe MacBook will be left with 1280x800 screen but I'm betting my money on 1440x900 screen in 13" MBP. Although nothing is impossible when it comes to Apple

Quote:

Neither do I, yet. Mac App Store would make it possible as Apple could distribute most, if not all (Logic and Final Cut are quite heavy to download) apps through the online store. MBA got its install media in an USB stick so maybe Lion will be distributed 1) in USB sticks 2) through the Mac App Store?

I guess we will see what Apple has in their mind in few months. Hopefully something better than P8700 and P9700 with new NVidia IGP.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Well, four questions :

Already answered. Note that Apple has been making a point to release new notebooks in time for the back to school crowd. So we could be looking at release dates as late as June. However parts availability does play a role here.

Quote:

That is a very good question. I'D look at Intels public release schedules to get an idea of wgat is coming. Infact I'd keep intouch with AMD too. In any event I'll repeat it could be as late as June.

The 13" MBP is now in an interesting position where it really doesn't stand out well relative to Apples other offerings. Frankly Apple could drop the machine or refactor it into something far more powerful.

Quote:

First are you sure there will be a new version?

Given the other two models I would expect a performance overhaul to better set it appart from the other machines. That to me means a descrete GPU. The issie of the ODD comes up, if they do delete it this will likely be the only MBP to loose the optical for now.

Quote:

4. Will Apple sell the "old" version while selling a new one, to clear stocks ? What should be the refurbished price of the current 13", when a new version is out ?

EDIT : I guess I can use the examples here as an answer to the fourth question :

Personally, I'm not interested in the MBA anymore, and the 15" is too big for my needs...

I would like to have a MBP 13" with an higher resolution matte screen, flash storage instead of the standard slow HD and without the useless CD/DVD drive.

Sorry to hear AIR fell off you short list. Some sort of SSD is a given. A higher resolution screen brings issues because the increased pixel density works against the current OS. It would be nice to see a switch to IPS displays though.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    So do we have any idea, if there will be a new MBP 13 coming anytime soon?.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by npereyra View Post

Find a low-power Arrandale chip that you can use with the same type of graphics configuration as the current model first.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Note that that is an educated guess on my part, don't bank on it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by npereyra View Post

With the chip technology available right at the moment I believe the only thing Apple could do is go to an Arrandale solutuion with an external GPU. This would require deleteing tolhe optical drive. This to make room for the dedicated GPUs RAM and to enable a larger battery. The GPU itself doesn't need a lot if space because currently Apple is using a two chip solution anyways. In any event Apple could introduce such a machine anytime as the engineering work is already done in the larger MBPs. I don't really know if they will or not because they seem to be reluctant to put good GPU performance into a 13" MBP. I'm actually hoping AIR forces them to reconsider.

A more likely stradegy on Apples part is to wait for more advanced chip technology. Maybe something Sandy Bridge derived. Or they may consider AMDs coming solutions. It looks like AMDs Bobcat based chips are a little to little for the MBP range even if they can add another GHz to the clock rate but there are higher end Fusion products coming. With Fusion and Sandy Bridge the possibility is there to keep the optical drive around or add newer features such as light peak. There is still the mystery of Sandy Bridge's support of OpenCL but either of these solutions would work well in a 13" class machines. That is if the new GPUs can drive the higher resolution screens.

As you can see there are two possibilities here that involve new hardware. There is also the horrible possibility of a bump real soon now followed by six months of wait. Either way the rumor mill should get hot a few weeks before the hardware arrives. Right now the mills are quiet.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The GPU itself doesn't need a lot if space because currently Apple is using a two chip solution anyways.

Arrandale + discrete GPU would be three chip solution as you also need Southbridge. That is currently integrated into 320M (and 9400M) thus it's two chip solution. You will also need GDDR chips for discrete GPU as it cannot use RAM like IGPs do.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post

Arrandale + discrete GPU would be three chip solution as you also need Southbridge.

Yes but that south bridge is small and low powered.

Quote:

That is currently integrated into 320M (and 9400M) thus it's two chip solution. You will also need GDDR chips for discrete GPU as it cannot use RAM like IGPs do.

Which is why I said they would likely have to remove the optical to make room for the RaM dedicated to the GPU.

This should actually be very doable by Apple in the 13" MBP. Apparently Apple doesn't consider the machine to be a pro computer though. Honestly it isn't much more than a warmed over plastic Mac Book. This is very sad if you ask me as in effect you pay a lot of money for the Aluminum case. Granted there are other features beyound the Aluminum case but performance wise you are not getting much.

In any event the 13" MBP is a pro machine only in name. I'd really like to see Apple change that. Lets face it they now have three other small laptops with similar integrated graphics, it wouldn't hurt one bit to set the MBP apart from the others with a better GPU. Will Apple wise up and turn the 13" MBP into a significantly better performing machine (relative to the others) or just continue selling it as a warmed over white? I'm not actually opposed to integrated graphics if the resultant performance out strips the other non pro machines, but going integrated right now implies older CPUs which is a separate issue that needs addressing.

In any event the question at hand is a good one, when will the new 13" pro come? I don't know but suspect that we will be waiting awhile. The question is what can Apple throw in there to make a worthwhile update and not a speed bump. When looked at that way it is obvious Apple needs to wait on new chips from its suppliers.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

The question is what can Apple throw in there to make a worthwhile update and not a speed bump. When looked at that way it is obvious Apple needs to wait on new chips from its suppliers.

Personaly, I hope Apple will update the 13" VERY soon. I can accept a small speed bump. However, I hope they'll make the 13" screen at an higher resolution (like on the MBA 13"), and get rid of the useless CD/DVD drive. Make the MBP 13" a bit less heavy, with options for a matte screen (like what we currently have for the 15"), and with the option for a nice flash storage at a lower cost than what we have right now.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Personaly, I hope Apple will update the 13" VERY soon. I can accept a small speed bump. However, I hope they'll make the 13" screen at an higher resolution (like on the MBA 13"), and get rid of the useless CD/DVD drive.

Maybe even a higher resolution.

Quote:

Make the MBP 13" a bit less heavy, with options for a matte screen (like what we currently have for the 15"),

A matte screen would be a huge negative on a high resolution screen. In general I'm against matte screens after my experience on my MBP.

Quote:

and with the option for a nice flash storage at a lower cost than what we have right now.

That appears to be a given. At the very least we will get a hybrid system.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

I wouldn't say it's small, at least in the HM55 chipset (the yellow one is Southbridge)

• Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Well, four questions :

Give it a rest the 13inch MBP came out in June2010.Maybe in the summer something will happen with this model? The ssd who knows when this will be installed in this model? Why does everything have to be fast with you guys? If you are happy keep what you own.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Personaly, I hope Apple will update the 13" VERY soon. I can accept a small speed bump. However, I hope they'll make the 13" screen at an higher resolution (like on the MBA 13"), and get rid of the useless CD/DVD drive. Make the MBP 13" a bit less heavy, with options for a matte screen (like what we currently have for the 15"), and with the option for a nice flash storage at a lower cost than what we have right now.

Some people like to watch movies and it is important to them.A matte screen is dull compared to the glossy one.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Which is why I said they would likely have to remove the optical to make room for the RaM dedicated to the GPU.

This should actually be very doable by Apple in the 13" MBP. Apparently Apple doesn't consider the machine to be a pro computer though. Honestly it isn't much more than a warmed over plastic Mac Book. This is very sad if you ask me as in effect you pay a lot of money for the Aluminum case. Granted there are other features beyound the Aluminum case but performance wise you are not getting much.

In any event the 13" MBP is a pro machine only in name. I'd really like to see Apple change that. Lets face it they now have three other small laptops with similar integrated graphics, it wouldn't hurt one bit to set the MBP apart from the others with a better GPU. Will Apple wise up and turn the 13" MBP into a significantly better performing machine (relative to the others) or just continue selling it as a warmed over white? I'm not actually opposed to integrated graphics if the resultant performance out strips the other non pro machines, but going integrated right now implies older CPUs which is a separate issue that needs addressing.

In any event the question at hand is a good one, when will the new 13" pro come? I don't know but suspect that we will be waiting awhile. The question is what can Apple throw in there to make a worthwhile update and not a speed bump. When looked at that way it is obvious Apple needs to wait on new chips from its suppliers.

Big Shot what do you own?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Ok, I think I made my mind (not sure yet !). I may end with the current MBP 13" at 2.4 GHz.

First, I don't think Apple will update the current 13" before two or three months, at the very least (jan or feb 2011, maybe even later).

Second, I don't think the update will be a major one, since it may have a major impact on their MBA market :

Hypothesis : the 13" MBP update will include an higher resolution screen, like on the 13" MBA. The HD will be replaced by flash storage, like the MBA, and the CD/DVD drive will be dropped. About the same price as the current 13".

Well, this hypothesis is almost the same as the current 13" MBA, with more options on the MBP (FireWire, backlight keyboard, etc), for less money. So who will buy the MBA then ? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Any opinion on this ?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Ok, I think I made my mind (not sure yet !). I may end with the current MBP 13" at 2.4 GHz.

First, I don't think Apple will update the current 13" before two or three months, at the very least (jan or feb 2011, maybe even later).

Second, I don't think the update will be a major one, since it may have a major impact on their MBA market :

While I don't think Apple will deliver a new Mac Book Pro 13" very soon, it really has nothing to do with the MBA. The markets are so different that there is almost no interaction between the two. Further Apple really isn''t trying to compete with itself but rather the reset of the world. That requires maintaining a line up that draws a wide range of customers.

Think about it for many people the new AIRs are in many ways a device that is better than iPad for them. It is a niche that needed to be filled. Apple is really good at doing this with the laptops though I do wonder why they can't fill the gaps in the desktop line up.

Quote:

Hypothesis : the 13" MBP update will include an higher resolution screen, like on the 13" MBA. The HD will be replaced by flash storage, like the MBA, and the CD/DVD drive will be dropped. About the same price as the current 13".

It is hard to say from the outside exactly what will be offered up. But indications are that SSD will play a part in future Apple hardware.

Quote:

Well, this hypothesis is almost the same as the current 13" MBA, with more options on the MBP (FireWire, backlight keyboard, etc), for less money. So who will buy the MBA then ? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Any opinion on this ?

You are trying way to hard here, the class of hardware is entirely different. As long as Apple focuses on power in the MBP they will be significantly different from the AIRs. Think about this, the processor in the MBP is at least 1GHz faster.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Give it a rest the 13inch MBP came out in June2010

This is wrong. I just checked in the Mactracker app. The current MBP 13" were out in April-2010. So they are more than 6 months old now.

We're almost at mid-November and I don't expect Apple to release a new MBP during the following days, because of the new MBA hoopla (and there's absolutely no rumors about something new right now).

Since Apple never released a new Mac in December, maybe we'll see something new in January ? On 2011 Feb 1, the current MBP 13" will be more than 9 months old.

What is the average time between MBP refreshes ?

EDIT : According to the Mactracker application, the previous MBP 13" were out in June-2009. So about 10 months before the 2010 MBP 13".

The 2008 MBP 13" were out in Oct-2008, so 8 months before the 2009 MBP 13".

So a new MBP 13" in Feb-2011 ?