Europeans wake up an hour late as Apple fails to fix iPhone alarm clock bug

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

DST is stupid. Everybody needs to stop doing it.

What is DST? (In Arizona, we don't use day light savings time. It gets confusing when trying to remember what time it is in other places. "Are we 2 hours or 3 hours different from the east coast?")
  • Reply 42 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordeagle View Post

Same here!

I'm in Austin, TX USA and mine went off an hour early this moning (iPhone 4) however, my wife's 3GS went off at the regular time!
  • Reply 43 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

What is DST? (In Arizona, we don't use day light savings time. It gets confusing when trying to remember what time it is in other places. "Are we 2 hours or 3 hours different from the east coast?")

Wouldn't it be great if a handheld device such as your phone could translate that for you on the fly?
  • Reply 44 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Wouldn't it be great if a handheld device such as your phone could translate that for you on the fly?

It would actually take me more time when on a call with a client, for me to move the device from my ear, use an app to look up the time in their state, than to just memorize the current time change. I was just commenting to the fact that in a state with no "stupid DST", we still have to take it into consideration for the rest of the country.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    If everybody used an iPhone, everybody would have gotten an extra hour of sleep, and nobody would complain. The real problem here is the people who didn't use iPhones to wake up, since they ended up starting the day before the well-rested iPhone users. But I don't blame them for being grumpy, I'm grumpy too if I don't get enough sleep.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    I am in Europe. My timezone is set correctly. iPhone changed time and I did not have any problem with alarm, it sounded at the correct time. I have iPhone 3G with iOS 3.1.3.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    iaxiax Posts: 4member
    Both my macs and my iphone got their time synchronized by themselves (in Romania, Eastern Europe). The iphone alarm rang at 3:40 AM as I set it. And I had no trouble caching my London plane as planned.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

I think the lesson here should be obvious. It's time to stop this DST madness!

So long as you mean by making it permanent!
  • Reply 49 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    DST is a tricky thing to get right. It is changing all the time, different in some regions and if you are programming it, you don't have any real world way to test it prior to the actual event. Sure it can be simulated but you never know for sure.

I think we should bail on DST altogether. I don't like fake things including fake time. I'm not really a morning person anyway. That is when the daylight issue is more significant because you are not fully alert having just awakened. There are reports that the change in time may cause auto accidents to increase as well. By evening you should have your wits about you so it is less of a factor then.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by avdbauw View Post

How can anybody be an hour late? Since on sunday morning the clock was set back from 3 A.M. to 2 A.M. the alarm should go off an hour early if it did not adjust!

Well, but the bug makes the alarm go 1 hour AFTER the time it was set. Who knows which algorithm the use for timing...
  • Reply 51 of 81
    I too woke up late, and it is very annoying to fine it is a known bug that they have not bothered to publicise. Now if they issue the software update before the US ends DST next week, that will doubly p*ss me off.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

DST is a tricky thing to get right. It is changing all the time, different in some regions and if you are programming it, you don't have any real world way to test it prior to the actual event. Sure it can be simulated but you never know for sure.

I think we should bail on DST altogether. I don't like fake things including fake time. I'm not really a morning person anyway. That is when the daylight issue is more significant because you are not fully alert having just awakened. There are reports that the change in time may cause auto accidents to increase as well. By evening you should have your wits about you so it is less of a factor then.

It might be difficult to get right, but they got in right in iOS3, iOS2 ....
  • Reply 53 of 81
    Forget DST, we never fixed Y2K bug. We are living in 1910.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    I have the alarm on my iP4 (iOS 4.1) set for weekdays and it had automatically adjusted to the new time and got me up as usual. No problems here in old blighty.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    Just a weird, random thought: does the fact that today is 011110 have anything to do with it?
  • Reply 56 of 81
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Steve Jobs to crowd: "Calm down, people, the problem is already fixed!"
  • Reply 57 of 81
    My alarm clock went off an hour EARLY this morning, it's an old one that didn't change. How can they go off an hour LATE? That's two hours later than usual?

~Callum
  • Reply 58 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just a weird, random thought: does the fact that today is 011110 have anything to do with it?

Interesting thought.

But wouldn't Jan 11th 2010 have given the same Palindrome, at least the way the US types it?
  • Reply 59 of 81
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I know a lot of people who were late today because of this here in Switzerland. Those are moments when I love my ancient, radio controlled alarm clock.

In other news, Steve Jobs was heard being furious on the phone with the World Energy Council, demanding the abolition of DST.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    I like Daylight Savings Time and I'm even on the western side of the Eastern (USA) time zone where it's less needed. But as a sign of how things change... the excuse now for getting rid of DST is that it messes up iPhones and the like while the original reason for not liking it way back when was that the cows didn't change their internal clocks. They still needed to be milked according to what time they (the cows) thought it was. OK, maybe that was just folklore.

More history. It was the railroads that necessitated the creation of "standard time". Prior to that it was often a practice for each locality to set their own time by solar noon. Of course that leads to an infinite number of de facto time zones. I'd like to see an iPhone deal with that one!