Apple offers new Mac Pro Server configuration to replace Xserve

Comments

• Reply 121 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So, again, the problem is that Apple's shitty, worthless, under-supported, overpriced, half-assed server hardware which they don't have a clue how to market or deploy or develop or improve because they totally don't get the enterprise on account of being a toy company, the problem is that that steaming pile of shit has been withdrawn from the market?

The one that no competent computer professional would piss on if it were on fire, but has caused competent computer professionals to gather round and jeer at Apple for not continuing to sell it.

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page.

you forgot the part where Steve J should go back to business school if he continues to makes these half-assed decisions that will bankrupt Apple.
  • Reply 122 of 201
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Didn't Apple try this 15 years ago, where they sold rebadged desktop Macs as "servers"? Does installing Windows Server 2008 on a Dell desktop PC make it a server?
  • Reply 123 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Didn't Apple try this 15 years ago, where they sold rebadged desktop Macs as "servers"? Does installing Windows Server 2008 on a Dell desktop PC make it a server?

Before the XServe, Apple sold a "Server" version of the G3 and G4 towers. Never had a G5 tower server, because the XServe came out thenabouts.
  • Reply 124 of 201
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Err, so how does the business using Xserves heavily for their workflow rack-mount 100 Mac Pro's once the Xserves become outdated? Or use fiber channels with the Mini? You can't just stick "server" to the butt of anything and start calling it one. Whats next, iMac server? Macbook server? Some IT folks are going to be tearing their hair out at this one.
  • Reply 125 of 201
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Some IT folks are going to be tearing their hair out at this one.

They already are. Check this thread on Apple's support site: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&start=15

Some of these folks have stuck their necks out and installed huge Xserve based systems for their clients and companies. Now they look like complete idiots. I feel bad for them.

I sure hope Apple will announce the next step soon. I think we will see OS X Server running on another brand of hardware. Either directly or virtualized.
  • Reply 126 of 201
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Err, so how does the business using Xserves heavily for their workflow rack-mount 100 Mac Pro's once the Xserves become outdated? Or use fiber channels with the Mini? You can't just stick "server" to the butt of anything and start calling it one. Whats next, iMac server? Macbook server? Some IT folks are going to be tearing their hair out at this one.

Why don't you tell us how many businesses are using 100 xserve systems and need to replace them with Mac Pros?

Obviously not enough for Apple to keep selling them.
  • Reply 127 of 201
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Some of these folks have stuck their necks out and installed huge Xserve based systems for their clients and companies. Now they look like complete idiots.

Perhaps they ARE complete idiots?

To some here, this news comes as less than a surprise.
  • Reply 128 of 201
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All of which add to the complexity of the server. Besides you mis the point of a Mini, you hot swap the whole computer. In many cases the swap is many times faster than servicing a 1U server.

What? How can you hot swap a Mac mini? Do you know what hot swapping is?

Swapping a Mac mini wil never be faster than servicing (or swappring) an Xserve.

Perhaps people not working with servers should stop telling people working with servers how to do their job.
  • Reply 129 of 201
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Can I get a replacement parts kit with my mini or Mac Pro? What? It takes 45 minutes to replace the singular power supply in my new Mac Pro Xsan MDC? That is bullshit!
  • Reply 130 of 201
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Can I get a replacement parts kit with my mini or Mac Pro? What? It takes 45 minutes to replace the singular power supply in my new Mac Pro Xsan MDC? That is bullshit!

And to the people not knowing: on an Xserve that would take less than a minute without powering down.

And how much time will it take to replace an HDD in a Mac mini running RAID 1? You have to have another Mac mini standing by and you'll have to clone the working drive from the old Mac mini to the new Mac mini.
  • Reply 131 of 201
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This would make for a good opportunity if some enterprising company made a 6U chassis that supported a Mac pro motherboard, dual PSU, and front loading accessible drive bays. With all the room in there you can even install a PCIe card and house up to 20 total drives. Hey, that's a metadata/journal LUN and 2 other LUNS for an Xsan.
  • Reply 132 of 201
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple's explanation for discontinuing the Xserve is that people can buy the Mac Mini "server". But wouldn't the Apple fanboi response be something like "A Ferrari costs more than a Kia, so Ferrari should stop making cars"? What about "More people buy Hondas, does that mean they are better than Mercedez Benz"? So why isn't it being applied here?
  • Reply 133 of 201
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple's explanation for discontinuing the Xserve is that people can buy the Mac Mini "server". But wouldn't the Apple fanboi response be something like "A Ferrari costs more than a Kia, so Ferrari should stop making cars"? What about "More people buy Hondas, does that mean they are better than Mercedez Benz"? So why isn't it being applied here?

I don't know. In the sense that I have no idea what you're trying to say. I gather it involves some kind of convoluted thought experiment which demonstrates the famous hypocrisy of "fan boys"?
  • Reply 134 of 201
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes!

You can find out how to do it if you look for a solution -- instead of looking for a knockoff.

So you are willing to say, I can remotely connect to a Mac Mini and power it ON? Can you please tell me how to do this, as I get no results to a search for this.
  • Reply 135 of 201
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    The obvious reason behind this move is clear enough: Xserves and maybe the server market in general don't make money for Apple. However, this should not have been a surprise.

Apple's apparent exit from the enterprise space is disappointing, because it undermines any credibility that the firm had established over the past decade. When Apple chose to make the Xserve, they knew that they were entering a market dominated by Windows and Linux. I think the long term benefits of establishing a beachhead in this space might have outweighed the near term losses of sustaining the effort. Maybe Apple reached the investment threshold that they were willing to undertake; maybe their efforts were not delivering meaningful enterprise growth. Who knows?

From what I have heard about Apple's IT support, it seems that there is/was a cultural divide between the enterprise market and Apple. Apple did not court IT departments like others had, nor did they seem to support those that had selected Apple's solutions (this is what I have been told...no first hand knowledge). Apple wanted to be treated by enterprise staff the same way that consumers dealt with the company. In the end, maybe this cultural difference was the reason that Apple killed the Xserve—they just realized that it would never work.
  • Reply 136 of 201
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Perhaps they ARE complete idiots?

To some here, this news comes as less than a surprise.

Well if you are a rude Internet dick you might say that.

No it was not a surprise, but Apple handled it poorly.
  • Reply 137 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So you are willing to say, I can remotely connect to a Mac Mini and power it ON? Can you please tell me how to do this, as I get no results to a search for this.

I was able to find a solution in minutes -- have tested it with no problems...

But, then, I am not a server expert!

• Reply 138 of 201
    Quote:

Fabulous! - would you care to share? Please don't say "Start up Automatically after Power Failure", thats not the same as the ability to start and stop your server remotely.
  • Reply 139 of 201
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

I never said I was either, but please do share the built in support on the Mac Mini that enables you to do this. I would really like to know how I can remotely connect to a Mac Mini that is powered off, and turn it on.

If you claim it can be done, then provide links to the solution.
  • Reply 140 of 201
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope, desktop app developers will do that on their own after the death of the XServe. I give it three to five years before Apple is forced to make a new XServe and Mac Pro with obscenely competitive specs/pricing to get people back before the OS becomes a graveyard.

Why would desktop app developers need XServes exactly?