Bank of America, Citigroup testing iPhone to replace BlackBerry

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Something I've always wondered is do these enterprise customers really use iTunes?
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

They should be testing Android instead of the iPhone. After all Android is going to wipe the iPhone completely out of existence in mere weeks. Dumb banks. When will they get a clue?

It is cogent that you used the word dumb, it applies to more that banks. Did you not read the paragraph addressing the shortcomings of Android?
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

I work in IT for an insurance company, and we are currently testing Macs, iPads, and iPhones that are to be deployed throughout the company by the end of the year. The first ones to get them are the top sales people and executives. Then, the rest will follow. I was told the other day that there may be more than 1,000 iPads purchased early next year by our company, which employs 3,000 people.

I hear that many other insurance companies are doing the same thing. iPads will be connecting via IPSec VPN to the corporate servers where a Citrix VM will be created for each VPN connection. From there, users can use any application via their iPad that they currently use on their Windows desktops or Laptops.

We are also testing iMacs, Macbook Pros, new MacBook Airs, and iPhones.

We are talking about a quantum leap that occurred last summer. We have gone from deriding Apple in the beginning of this year to completely embracing Apple as a better platform than Windows, Blackberry, or Android by the end of the year.

Apple is making a huge entrance in the enterprise market this year. Next year, you will start noticing Apple devices in the enterprise everywhere.

What will you, as an IT guy, be doing with all of your spare time?
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Something I've always wondered is do these enterprise customers really use iTunes?

No. This is a huge issue for Apple and emblematic of Apple's focus on Consumers. Apple has nothing like Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) to automate the deployment and management of iOS devices. Maybe they are working on something like this. The Dell KACE appliance already provides much of this functionality...
  • Reply 45 of 48
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I've bought 3 Macs and 4 iPods over the last 10 years, so don't conclude that I'm an Apple basher.

My wife recently switched from a BB to an iPhone at work. She hated the iPhone and switched to a Torch about 2 weeks later. This is despite the fact that she has an iPod touch and loves it. As a phone and a business device, she said it was deficient for the following reasons:

1) The phone quality was lousy and she kept getting dropped calls. To be fair, the person she gave her phone to afterwards didn't have the same problems.

2) There's no speed dial functionality, and the speed dial apps all fall short. This in contrast to the BB, where you hold one key and it dials.

3) There's no way to do single (non-bulk) deletes of old call logs.

4) The email app was deficient. Among her complaints were the fact she couldn't do bulk deletes for old emails. Also, she couldn't select multiple emails to flag or to put into a folder.

5) The calendar app was deficient.

6) The hands-free calling functionality is deficient, as every attempt to call with a Bluetooth presented her with 3 options for each outgoing call. There was no obvious preference setting to change this.

On the other hand, she liked the new Torch. The browser and multi-touch apps aren't as good as the iPhone, but good enough,

As much as I don't like my own work BB (I believe it's the Curve), I can imagine with the hundreds of emails I get a day how much I would miss delete prior email functionality.

I think the only issue is that Apple hasn't put the resources into making their core apps business-friendly. Once they do, I have no doubt they'll close the gap.

• Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

They should be testing Android instead of the iPhone. After all Android is going to wipe the iPhone completely out of existence in mere weeks. Dumb banks. When will they get a clue?

I guess you missed the part where Android lacks almost EVERY enterprise feature known to man, and only supports basic VPN (i.e. not Cisco)

Just because something is open-source and or widely used in the consumer market, by no means guarantees success in the enterprise market.

Including CiscoVPN in Android would certainly require licensing of some descriptions and it would be difficult to absorb the licensing costs with such tight margins as they have.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giodelgado View Post

Have they never heard of symbian? Which supports not only enterprise email but full encryption oh and more R&D than apple and rim together adding rapid battery charging and durability, i always recommend E series nokia smartphones for business they are just perfect for that. I dont use a symbian anymore but know how well it stands in comparison with newcomers and their marketing schemes to sell more and give less.

Yes I have heard of Symbian, and basically it's a bag of crap, especially of 90+% of the hardware it's installed on is under-powered for the specific version it's running. Basically, most of the Nokia N series.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Hey Enzos, nice of you to say so! Made my day! Thanks.

And best to you, too.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20