Apple's iWork '11 suite tracking for release alongside Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    It makes sense that Apple would hold back the iWork apps to have some 1st Party Marquee apps in the store when it launches the Mac App Store. Just like it had the iWork for iPad apps as Marquee apps for the iPad Launch.

IMHO, that's why Apple's held these apps back. It's also why iLife 11 is only $49. $15 x 5 apps = $75 - so people who bought iLife '11 don't feel ripped off when the individual apps go on sale in the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 22 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I have recently liberated myself from Office altogether....

I second that Jetlaw. I work primarily in Pages and love the integration of iPhoto, Numbers, Mail, PDF, iWeb, etc. It's just wonderful working in the Apple Eco System...and it only gets better year over year.

Sorry, MS...no thanks to Office 11
  • Reply 23 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Apple should be trying to sync the release of iLife and iWork and offer a reduced price bundle. This would probably encourage further adoption of iWork.

Excellent point...If I remember correctly, I bought a box set of SL, iWork and iLife last time around and saved a little cabbage!

Best
  • Reply 24 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Interesting, Paul...what are your favorite 5 iPhone Apps?

Best

Mine are...Dropbox app, Chase app, ATT app, TuneIn Radio (NPR/FM), RedBox, NikePlus, Financial Times, iBooks...

Good question.

1. Netflix (OK better on iPad than iPhone, but still pretty cool).

2. Red Laser.

3. Yelp.

4. FlightTrack Pro (if you travel a lot, this is a must have app).

5. BBC News.
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Good question.

1. Netflix (OK better on iPad than iPhone, but still pretty cool).

2. Red Laser.

3. Yelp.

4. FlightTrack Pro (if you travel a lot, this is a must have app).

5. BBC News.

Cool, I have BBC News, Red laser and NetFlix...I'll try Yelp and FlightTrack!

Good to know! Thx!

Best
  • Reply 26 of 116
    Pretty predictable...the store needs something to launch with.
  • Reply 27 of 116
    Update iWeb.
  • Reply 28 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Update iWeb.

Agreed...I'm a big fan of iWeb. I would like to see it move from iLife to iWork. I use it for my Real estate business...and prefer it over the web-based alternatives.

I think Apple has realized that young people aren't going to go to the trouble of putting together a website in iWeb or posting pictures/video on MobileMe. They're just going to post everything on FaceBook.

BTW: Has anyone noticed the new design of YouTube?

Very clean.

Best
  • Reply 29 of 116
    Silly question perhaps, however... As a corporate customer I get a pretty substantial discount on Apple-branded software (about twenty percent). iWork, normally $79, is about $65; Final Cut Express ran me about $149 as opposed to $199. I wonder if these corporate discounts will still be available via the App Store...
  • Reply 30 of 116
    Well, if they put as much care into testing iWork as they did iLife 11... it will suck badly. iPhoto in particular is in very bad shape... expect several more .1 bug fixes. I've had 10 crashes in 2 days... and I'm not that hard on iPhoto. iPhoto 09 crashes? Never had one.

I like iWork for the little I use it... but it needs to grow up and be a big-boy application. The whole tiny 'inspector' type paradigm needs to go. There is too much going on in too many boxes.

For the minor price difference, I'd like to give Office a try...
  • Reply 31 of 116
    I was holding out to buy iWork when the Mac App Store came out, so I could get it without having to buy Numbers too. Now I'm even happier if they're also releasing an update. Awesome.

My opinion on iWork vs. Office...

Word > Pages

Excel >>>>> Numbers

PowerPoint <<<<< Keynote

I think anyone who tells you Pages is better than Word just doesn't use a lot of the features of Word. Yes, Word is incredibly convoluted and cluttered, but it's more than just a word processor. Pages stays truer to what a word processor is supposed to be, though.

Excel is about as important as oxygen to breath in my workplace.

PowerPoint makes everything look like a middle school book report compared to Keynote.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    PowerPoint 2010 has improved a lot, in fact from 2007 it has been trying to mimic or copy Keynote is every areas. However Keynotes 09 is still better then 2010. And 2011 may be even better

I think Pages and Word are two different type of Word Processing Apps. Pages is more about design and presentation of the document. And Word is... arh... i dont know, more like an Type Writing with a Screen. Honestly my usage will never use the full limit of Word 's full functionality. I only remember the pain and frustration of Wanting to throw my Computer into the trash. Trying to Line up Graphics, Foot notes etc. Then i try Pages on Mac, although i have been using Keynotes, I have never used pages before because i thought it was like toys and not for true Office Work. It turns out i was wrong. Using iWork is such a present experience. Layout would just work, default template were beautiful. The same goes for Pages.

Till today i still dont know what is the TRUE meaning of spreadsheet. The usage that people said Excel is better then Numbers sounds very Database work like to me.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    Pages is much more pleasant to use for any task that it is capable of doing, which is most things for me. The main things Pages is missing is proper numbering and it needs to handle tables beter (e.g. cells that span pages). Other than that, I don't feel the need for Word. I'd be interested to hear what 'advanced' features of Word people miss so much.

The feature gap is much bigger in Excel and some of the ways Numbers does things is not intuitive (the cutting and pasting of cells is a basic one). Of course, if you want your spreadsheets to look great then Numbers wins ... but who really needs to make their spreadsheets look that great. Having said that, it's perfectly fine for doing some pretty advanced stuff.

Powerpoint vs. Keynote. Nuff said.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delany View Post

Pages is much more pleasant to use for any task that it is capable of doing, which is most things for me. The main things Pages is missing is proper numbering and it needs to handle tables beter (e.g. cells that span pages). Other than that, I don't feel the need for Word. I'd be interested to hear what 'advanced' features of Word people miss so much.

Out of curiosity, how does a cell span a page? My complaint about table-handling in Pages is the lack of real control over cell padding. Seems you can't create a really tight table, and I've tried everything. What do you mean by proper numbering?

The most common complaint I've heard about Pages from Word jocks is the lack of a formula editor, and an inability to mix footnotes and endnotes. Neither of these affect me, but they might be deal-killers for some. Also, lack of an autosave feature.

Generally though the complaints about Pages are coming from people who expect it to be a Word clone. Some of us take this as a blessing, but a suppose Word has been around long enough that a lot of people are totally locked into the way Microsoft does things. Pages isn't about feature cram.
  • Reply 35 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Also, lack of an autosave feature.

This is a HUGE annoyance to me. I have stopped using Pages because if it. I use primarily Keynote among the iWOrk apps, and it still annoys me that if I forget to save, I am hosed with a crash, accidental reboot etc. The sort-a saving grace is that iWork apps crash less frequently than Office on the Mac....

But could it really be so hard to add autosave??? Really!?
  • Reply 36 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

This is a HUGE annoyance to me. I have stopped using Pages because if it. I use primarily Keynote among the iWOrk apps, and it still annoys me that if I forget to save, I am hosed with a crash, accidental reboot etc. The sort-a saving grace is that iWork apps crash less frequently than Office on the Mac....

But could it really be so hard to add autosave??? Really!?

It does seem like an omission, though personally I don't care for autosave and might be annoyed if it couldn't be turned off. TextEdit does this fairly well by creating a separate autosaved document, but I'm not sure if this would be practical for the larger documents created by Pages.

Not sure how you could accidentally reboot your Mac, or forget to save. I've never seen the former and for the latter you'd have to blow past the dialog box asking if you want to save or discard changes.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    [QUOTE=Dr Millmoss;1748772Not sure how you could accidentally reboot your Mac, or forget to save. I've never seen the former and for the latter you'd have to blow past the dialog box asking if you want to save or discard changes.[/QUOTE]

How about dead battery? Many open windows, then a reboot because of networking issues (they still occur), boot, iWork doc gone...

Anyway, stuff happens..
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

How about dead battery?

Doesn't OSX save state when the battery gets to <= 1% and hibernate? I've never had any problem with that...just plug it in, hit the power button and you're back where you left off.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    This could be the reason why they did not include iWeb to the iLife suite.

It'll be offered as a separate update in the new Mac App Store.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

This could be the reason why they did not include iWeb to the iLife suite.

Apple included iWeb in the iLife suite...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by www.apple.com/ilife Main Page

iLife ?11 also includes iWeb and iDVD for creating instant websites or your own straight-to-DVD classic.

Quote:

It'll be offered as a separate update in the new Mac App Store.

From the screenshots, it doesn't look like they'll be offering it or iDVD at all.