Apple adopts more thorough iPod water damage review policy

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    [QUOTE=Johnny Mozzarella;1749550]In case you haven't noticed, most waterproof electronics are much more expensive.

Most consumers don't want to pay the higher cost and don't need their cellphone to be waterproof.

I disagree totally. Waterproofing electronices does not have to be expensive. Heck I can buy a $5 wristwatch that's waterproof. It would take very little to water proof an ipod or iphone. Other than the charging and earphone connector there should be no otherway for water to enter the electronics. Waterproofing those two connectors would not be rocket science. Likewise the battery compartment can be sealed from the internals. If the battery gets wet it probably won't be hurt anyway. Even if it were that would be a simple battery replacement.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    LCI are placed in spots on the ipod & ipad (i.e. earphone jack, 30 pin connector) which can easily be activated just by using your IPOD or IPHONE in the rain. It's good to see that further evaluation will be done to determine if the sensor has been triggered with reason.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

LCI are placed in spots on the ipod & ipad (i.e. earphone jack, 30 pin connector) which can easily be activated just by using your IPOD or IPHONE in the rain. It's good to see that further evaluation will be done to determine if the sensor has been triggered with reason.

So there are good reasons for getting your ipod or iphone wet?

If you don't want it to get wet don't use it in the rain!
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Yep. Pull your iPod of of your pocket and plug in your earbuds while taking a walk in the rain. Or use wet hands to plug in the cable after you've gone inside = no warranty? That's silly.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Does anyone know if the policy applies worldwide, in particular Singapore/ i tried to get a repair on my 1 month old nano and they refused due to this issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week revised its internal support policy on iPod water damage, requiring that employees look for signs of damage beyond an activated liquid contact indicator.

The confidential internal document, obtained by Boy Genius Report, shows that on Monday, Apple officially changed the way it screens iPods for liquid damage. The change would seem to benefit those who may have had the internal liquid contact indicator triggered inappropriately.

"When an Apple Retail Store or AppleCare Repair Center checks for liquid damage, if the Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) inside the headphone jack has been activated, the iPod must be inspected for additional signs of liquid damage," the document reads.

The policy makes no mention of the iPhone, but it's possible that Apple has modified its stance for its smartphones as well. Apple's portable devices include LCIs to determine if a returned item was broken by being accidentally submerged in liquids.

In April, Apple was sued by a San Francisco, Calif., resident who said the company unfairly declines warranty coverage for its products based solely on triggered moisture sensors. That lawsuit attempted to prove that the sensors are unreliable, and do not necessarily serve as evidence of abuse.

Apple began equipping its notebooks and iPhones with LCIs in 2008. In iPhones and iPods, they are located at the bottom of the headphone jack. iPhones also have an indicator near the 30-pin dock connector.

"These indicators will be activated when they come in direct contact with water or liquid containing water," Apple's support documentation reads. "They are not designed to be triggered by humidity and temperature changes that are within the product's environmental requirements described by Apple."

Users can check if their LCI has been triggered by looking directly down into a headphone jack. Normally, the indicator is white or silver, but if it has been exposed to water it will turn red or pink.

• Reply 26 of 26
    How are Apples dots different from pink Cobalt II Chloride Humidity dots?

This is an important question because the common pink Cobalt II Chloride testing materials (like dots) (which are widely used in the shipping industry) measure peak humidity, and humidity is normal.

For example..

"Water Moisture Strips

Cobalt chloride water moisture sensitive test strips turn from blue to pinkish-white upon contact with water. It is the only practical way to detect the presence of water in hard to reach places such as small cracks in circuit boards, cracked ceramics and recesses in general.

Keep in them well stoppered in their vial since exposure to 55% relative humidity or greater is sufficient to cause a slow color change."