iTunes movies come to Japan, US TV networks blocking Google TV

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No, I didn't say that, you made that up. I said you broke Apples rules, if you read the ToS for yourself you can see it...

Yes, I broke the rules, but so have you, so of what relevance is it?
  • Reply 62 of 72
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yes, I broke the rules, but so have you, so of what relevance is it?

I didn't say I currently use those account, I said I had them, I have used them in accordance to the Apple terms, I was in those countries when I used them.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:

Wha....? If I am having issues with HDCP, it is because Apple *DID* implement it properly. Which part of HDCP are you not getting? Not allowing you to watch HD video on a VGA connection is a "proper" implementation of HDCP. Which is the problem, *with HDCP*. Why would I complain to Apple? What does it have to do with me breaking their ToS? Whether my Mac and VGA/DVI 21" screen is here, China, the US or Timbuktoo, the same problem will occur.

ok, I will start typing more slowly, just for you.

If you claim to Apple local to yourself, they will want to know where you downloaded the HD movies from (since you said you can't get them locally), they will then know you have broken their ToS. Have you understood this?

Now, Apple is restricting the playback of the HD version through non HDCP devices. You can still play the SD version.

Quote:

Why would i get an AppleTV? That only has HDMI output, I can't watch it on my 21" screen. Plus, if I purchase/rent iTunes HD content on my Mac, then I have the freedom to watch and sync with my iPhone4 and iPad as and where needed. Stuff on AppleTV stays on the AppleTV, plus you cannot purchase, you can only stream.

You can use a HDMI to DVI cable can't you. That is how I sometimes connect my PS3 to my cheap Dell monitor (which supports HDCP over DVI).

Maybe you should look at the Apple webpages about the Apple TV, as you don't seem to understand it very well. You can still stream from your Mac to Apple TV connected to your 46" HDTV downstairs, so you purchase on the Mac and stream to the Apple TV
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:

HDCP is supported over DVI and DP it isn't restricted to HDMI.

True, but how many monitors and TVs have DVI and DP inputs? With HDCP support over those inputs?

Quote:

I wasn't aware you could copy the HD version to the iPod, has thing changed?

You can copy it to iPhone4 and iPad, yes.

Quote:

And is it a new adapter that enabled the iPod or iPhone to connect via VGA or DVI? As for the Mac, I haven't tried, and don't have the need to try, I have an Apple TV which enables me to display them.

There is an existing Component adapter for iPod and iPhone output. There is the iPad Dock to VGA connector which works for iPad and iPhone4.

Quote:

So your monitor doesn't support HDCP, why didn't you say that in in the first place? How old is it?

Less than 2 years. Again, miniDP to HDMI may not be appropriate even if I have a brand new monitor with HDMI input because these adapters are known to be of varying quality.

Quote:

You're not rich, but you can afford to purchase a heap of Apple equipment and a large TV?

The HDTV is my parents'. The 21" screen is mine. I can afford to purchase a "heap" of Apple equipment because I don't spend it on cars, or what not, again, not relevant I think.

Quote:

With the VGA connection iTunes should display the SD version, if they aren't doing this then they have implement their HDCP related functionality incorrectly, take this up with Apple.

But why would I have bought the HD version in the first place?

Quote:

But for the third time, why don't you purchase an Apple TV, problem solved.

How will having to buy an Apple TV help me connect my Mac to my 21" screen and watch HD content?
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:

If you claim to Apple local to yourself, they will want to know where you downloaded the HD movies from (since you said you can't get them locally), they will then know you have broken their ToS. Have you understood this?

Why would I be complaining to Apple? They haven't implemented it wrongly.

Quote:

Now, Apple is restricting the playback of the HD version through non HDCP devices. You can still play the SD version.

Again, then what is the purpose of buying or renting the HD version?

Quote:

You can use a HDMI to DVI cable can't you. That is how I sometimes connect my PS3 to my cheap Dell monitor (which supports HDCP over DVI).

So, I have to get from my Mac, a miniDP to HDMI converter, then a HDMI to DVI adaptor to connect to my 21" screen, and then hope everything is HDCP compliant through the chain. Do you see the unnecessary challenges HDCP causes?

Quote:

Maybe you should look at the Apple webpages about the Apple TV, as you don't seem to understand it very well. You can still stream from your Mac to Apple TV connected to your 46" HDTV downstairs, so you purchase on the Mac and stream to the Apple TV

OK, fair enough, I can stream from my Mac to the HDTV. I get that part now. But what about just watching HD on my 21" screen?
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Quote:

True, but how many monitors and TVs have DVI and DP inputs? With HDCP support over those inputs?

My Dell monitor has HDCP support over DVI (it is two years old), a number of monitors now do. Older TVs have DVI ports on them, some support HDCP, but all new ones will have an HDMI port on them.

Quote:

You can copy it to iPhone4 and iPad, yes.

You originally said iPod, did you mean iPad?

Quote:

There is an existing Component adapter for iPod and iPhone output. There is the iPad Dock to VGA connector which works for iPad and iPhone4.

I still don't know why in 2010 Apple would put a VGA connector on a device.

Quote:

Less than 2 years. Again, miniDP to HDMI may not be appropriate even if I have a brand new monitor with HDMI input because these adapters are known to be of varying quality.

You must have been unlucky, I have an older monitor and it supports HDCP over DVI

Quote:

The HDTV is my parents'. The 21" screen is mine. I can afford to purchase a "heap" of Apple equipment because I don't spend it on cars, or what not, again, not relevant I think.

So since a new montior is cheaper than an iPhone 4, or an iPad, why don't you just get a new monitor and sell your old one?

Quote:

But why would I have bought the HD version in the first place?

I don't know, but after purchasing one and finding out it didn't work I would have stopped purchasing any, or just watch the SD version until I got an HDCP monitor.

Quote:

How will having to buy an Apple TV help me connect my Mac to my 21" screen and watch HD content?

It wouldn't, you will need to purchase a new monitor for that. But it would help with the 46" one you keep talking about.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:

Why would I be complaining to Apple? They haven't implemented it wrongly.

You claimed you couldn't watch the videos, that would imply they have implement it incorrectly as you should still be able to watch the SD version.

Quote:

Again, then what is the purpose of buying or renting the HD version?

One reason is to be to ready for when you get an HDCP monitor.

Quote:

So, I have to get from my Mac, a miniDP to HDMI converter, then a HDMI to DVI adaptor to connect to my 21" screen, and then hope everything is HDCP compliant through the chain. Do you see the unnecessary challenges HDCP causes?

No, you have said that your monitor doesn't support HDCP, so it doesn't matter about all your cables, nothing will change the fact your monitor is old.

And when you get the new one, you will need a single cable from your Mac to the monitor

Quote:

OK, fair enough, I can stream from my Mac to the HDTV. I get that part now. But what about just watching HD on my 21" screen?

Buy a new one, sell the old one.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    You originally said iPod, did you mean iPad?

---I meant iPad, oops. I think in the past few years you can load HD video onto iPod touch. Not sure on this one. But iPad you can.

I still don't know why in 2010 Apple would put a VGA connector on a device.

---Because in most out-of-home office and presentation room environments VGA is still widely used

You must have been unlucky, I have an older monitor and it supports HDCP over DVI

---Yeah

So since a new montior is cheaper than an iPhone 4, or an iPad, why don't you just get a new monitor and sell your old one?

---*sigh* I'll get peanuts for my old monitor, and I like it. Again, even if I get a HDMI monitor, I have to try and make sure the miniDP to HDMI cables work. There have been quite bad reviews for Capdase and Moshi adaptors. I know the Capdase one is quite bad.

I don't know, but after purchasing one and finding out it didn't work I would have stopped purchasing any, or just watch the SD version until I got an HDCP monitor.

---TV show rentals are 99c for SD or HD. HD is nice on my Macbook Alu 2ghz. But can't watch it when connected to VGA 21" screen. Because for TV show rentals you either rent the SD or HD version. Only purchases give you both versions.

It wouldn't, you will need to purchase a new monitor for that. But it would help with the 46" one you keep talking about.

---See above re: miniDP to HDMI adaptors.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    You claimed you couldn't watch the videos, that would imply they have implement it incorrectly as you should still be able to watch the SD version.

---TV show rentals are 99c for SD or HD. HD is nice on my Macbook Alu 2ghz. But can't watch it when connected to VGA 21" screen. Because for TV show rentals you either rent the SD or HD version. Only purchases give you both versions.

One reason is to be to ready for when you get an HDCP monitor.

---I just wish Apple would make it's own miniDP to HDMI cable.

No, you have said that your monitor doesn't support HDCP, so it doesn't matter about all your cables, nothing will change the fact your monitor is old.

---2 years is not that old.

And when you get the new one, you will need a single cable from your Mac to the monitor

---Can you point me to a link of a single miniDP to HDMI cable (not having to go through the small converter box, a simple cable, with miniDP on one side and HDMI the other? Most are miniDP to HDMI dongles, that you then hook up with HDMI-HDMI cable.

Hopefully someone is getting what I'm saying. I get your points, but hopefully other posters get mine too.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:

---*sigh* I'll get peanuts for my old monitor, and I like it. Again, even if I get a HDMI monitor, I have to try and make sure the miniDP to HDMI cables work. There have been quite bad reviews for Capdase and Moshi adaptors. I know the Capdase one is quite bad.

If it is a computer monitor then they will continue to have DVI (and some will have DP as well)

Quote:

ok, I've never rented anything through iTunes.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:

---2 years is not that old.

I know, but all companies move so fast now and drop support even faster, even Apple, their support of GPU accerlation is a good example

Quote:

---Can you point me to a link of a single miniDP to HDMI cable (not having to go through the small converter box, a simple cable, with miniDP on one side and HDMI the other? Most are miniDP to HDMI dongles, that you then hook up with HDMI-HDMI cable.

No, the mDP to HDMI one I purchased a year ago has a HDMI socket on it. But it did let me watch HD iTunes videos on my tv ok.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

---I just wish Apple would make it's own miniDP to HDMI cable.

Exactly. If we have to suffer through the HDCP restrictions, at least make a cable that would convert mini-DP to HDMI that would include audio while passing the HDCP test.