Apple's interest in simplified remote computing revealed

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Nah - bit the bullet and bought one again. Figured that Steve wasn't going to change anything until iP5, so why wait any longer.? Even got Apple to give me a bumper, but can't stand it, so, I am trying the Zagg edge strips to help with reception (they have two versions, the dry install that ATT uses, and the wet install that they sell online, which includes the edge strips). Can't tell if it helps, but I think it does a little, although I can still get it to stop downloads in certain places around town, just by touching it in the infamous G-spot - oh well, disappointed somewhat, but love all the other aspects of it, as I had from the beginning. Got tired of using the Sloooow 3GS, and the blurrier display (which was the real reason for me biting the bullet, since the retina display makes it worth the price of admission). Now have to worry about dropping it. My 3G and 3GS never had a problem bouncing off the pavement just fine, but you will hear me yelling all the way up in the foothills if I bounce my iP4 anywhere.

There's a reason we abandoned flint glass for use in eyeglasses in the early 80's, which was harder, thinner, but also prone to fracture at the most inopportune times, and we couldn't stand the liability for eye injuries for selling glass anymore, so we only do plastic lenses, which have excellent scratch-resistant properties now (not enough probably for iphone usage, but close). Ergo, my Zagg dry install films are excellent at protecting the glass, except for double-dribbling, etc.

My 14-year-old granddaughter had just finished a call on her Mom's 3GS enclosed in a Mophie JuicePack Air hard case. She was dancing around, waving her arms and dropped the phone from about 4 feet onto the kitchen floor. It has been dropped before, with no problems. This time the phone landed flat on its face and cracked the glass (shattered, actually but it stayed in place).

It still works -- with the added benefit that you can file your nails while surfing

I can get repair parts and tools for about $20 -- but we know someone who does repairs. Likely cost less than $100 -- and he knows what he is doing (and has young eyes and fingers).

As to the iP4. I have an Incipio soft case. black, minimalist, non-slippery suede-like finish. I have dropped it several times on the floor without incident. I was planning on replacing this with a Mophie or other case with a battery built in.

However, I find I no longer need the extra battery in the iPhone. I have an iPad WiFi with 3G. Along with the iP4, I take the iPad everywhere. I use the iPad for most of my "connected" activities excluding phone calls and text messages. Apple's iPad case and the Incipio iP4 case look quite similar -- though made from different materials.

Glad you realized that Steve is more stubborn than you, me or any of us

Enjoy!

• Reply 22 of 30
    Does anyone have a clue what app they use to make these drawings? I tried OmniGraffle, but I found it to produce lousy output, and it had other severe limitations. So I'm still just hacking it with Adobe Illustrator. I can only assume they are doing the same.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    amen for this rumor, this is what we desperately need - seamless file syncing across devices (though few know they do need it).
  • Reply 24 of 30
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can get repair parts and tools for about $20 -- but we know someone who does repairs. Likely cost less than $100 -- and he knows what he is doing (and has young eyes and fingers).

I heard it costs a lot less to get the back plate replaced, as compared to the front. Is this so? Does it void your warranty if you get someone other than Apple to replace it?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Does anyone have a clue what app they use to make these drawings? I tried OmniGraffle, but I found it to produce lousy output, and it had other severe limitations. So I'm still just hacking it with Adobe Illustrator. I can only assume they are doing the same.

Are you reffering to the flow chart or Patent Application Digrams in general? I don't believe there is a specific programme used to make the diagrams (as a whole, since any image base programme will do the trick). On the other hand i did have a freeware "Mind-Map"/"spider diagram" programme a few years back which was pretty decent at flow charts - although I'm afraid I can't remember it's name and I belive it's windows only.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

This could be the situation where:

1) You grab a vanilla iPad from a stack of iPads

2) You identify yourself: password; id card; credit card; iPhone; voice. face, fingerprint or eye scan

3) The device, instantly, WiFi Downloads your ~/home links

4) you do your thing -- maintaining NFC connection for security

5) data are retrieved, cached and staged, as needed, from the WiFi LAN network/cloud

6) modified data are cached, staged and written, as needed, to the WiFi LAN network/cloud

7) you finish your thing and return the iPad to the stack

8) the iPad vanillacizes itself

The stack of iPads is: a nurses station; a shipping/receiving dock; the counter at the library; the registration desk at a meeting, lecture or class; the waiters station at a restaurant; the entrance to a theme park, campus, shopping mall, supermarket. etc....

... I won't suggest a voting place!

The device, an iPad must be inexpensive, drop-dead simple/intuitive to use, secure -- ubiquitous and expendable.

Interesting that this requires some back office and cloud capability -- ranging from quite simple to fairly complex.

You can bring your own iPad with you -- or just grab one at the entrance/counter.

I think a "vanilla" iPad would be a good idea. And many companies allow you to log onto any computer and see your own desktop, via storage on file servers, which is similar (just not a tablet). And damn, Apple just killed the Xserve.

I do think Apple has a plan to let anyone log onto ANY Mac or iPad and see all their music, photos, documents, apps. I think that's what the data centre is for, and it'll double as a great backup (you have your data on your Mac AND on MobileMe). And I think that's what you're getting at?

This patent though seems simpler. If I'm using my old crappy iMac, and try to do something a little complicated, it'll try to "recruit" my new iMac across the room and ask it to "volunteer" some processing time and power.

The technology for syncing directories though could be used effectively in several other contexts, and is more interesting than what sounds more like an improved Xgrid.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

I see your posts and wonder... Please explain the derivation of your forum name!

Hahah, i always get that for some reason

Long story short. Couple of friends. Counter Strike times. Furbies and *insert food here*. I'm Mexican so beans was for me. Friends had names such as "Furbies and Steak", "Furbies and Rice", etc... I guess it just stuck.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

Hahah, i always get that for some reason

Long story short. Couple of friends. Counter Strike times. Furbies and *insert food here*. I'm Mexican so beans was for me. Friends had names such as "Furbies and Steak", "Furbies and Rice", etc... I guess it just stuck.

I must be dense. You DO mean the toy furbies - right? Or something else?
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I must be dense. You DO mean the toy furbies - right? Or something else?

Yep, the same ones that are lovely to blow up with firecrackers and do other things to.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Future devices from Apple could allow users to quickly and seamlessly transfer work and personal files from one system and platform to another, allowing any computer to temporarily become a personal computer.