Steve Jobs calls frustrated developer after Apple rejects iPad app

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 53
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    It's a little naughty for a developer to try using a non-public API, but that's geeks for you.



    It is really poor that Apple's environment lets developers call, or even see, private functions.

    This shouldn't be an issue, because it shouldn't be possible.

    If Steve doesn't get it, he should ask his friend Larry Ellison, who once did.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Lazy is the exact word for it.



    As to Apple making an exception for this issue, we all know that would be totally unreasonable. If you can't see that you need to spin up your propeller.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post


    Yes, he changed his code to work around his bug. He is now using an alternate user interface from what he intended. He would not have had to do that if there were no bug in the SDK to start with.







    It's not laziness on his part. He had to replace part of his original design to work around the bug, which he would not have had to do if there hadn't been a bug in the first place. Yes, he knew that using the private API would get his app rejected, but it is still not an unreasonable thing to see if appealing the rejection for a specific use would get them to make an exception. (Sometimes companies *DO* make exceptions. The only way to know if they will or not is to try and ask).



    Yes, there is no current problem with the app because he worked around the bug. Now that iOS 4.2 is coming out he will likely see if the SDK bug has been fixed, and he may even restore his original user interface intent.



    His blog posting about Steve Jobs calling him was not to complain about the outcome. He was praising Apple because they took the time to call him and talk about what is still a largely opaque approval process.



  • Reply 43 of 53
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post


    It's a little naughty for a developer to try using a non-public API, but that's geeks for you.



    It is really poor that Apple's environment lets developers call, or even see, private functions.

    This shouldn't be an issue, because it shouldn't be possible.

    If Steve doesn't get it, he should ask his friend Larry Ellison, who once did.



    It's called reflection. Apple implements it with the Obj-C Runtime Reference, and it really isn't possible to do your idea of prohibition unless you are willing to throw software development back about 30 years.



    So why don't you spend a few minutes actually figuring out if you know enough about a topic to not look like an idiot by hitting the keyboard.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Lazy is the exact word for it.



    As to Apple making an exception for this issue, we all know that would be totally unreasonable. If you can't see that you need to spin up your propeller.



    Fine, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    deleted
  • Reply 46 of 53
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    props to jobs for that one. I guess he knew a way around the issue the developer described without having to use private api.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    This is another reason why I appreciate Apple and its cool CEO!
  • Reply 48 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post


    I can't believe NOBODY read the original article this was linked to. If you had, you would have seen that THE REASON HE USED A PRIVATE API CALL IS BECAUSE OF A *BUG* IN THE SDK!!!



    So you have the bug ticket that we might go read which function call is broken right?



    The article doesn't say. I wonder why his code doesn't behave like all the other 300,000 instances of dismiss keyboard in apps.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    sennensennen Posts: 1,468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post


    What a waste of his time. Shouldn't he be working on getting printing to work instead?



    You're slipping.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    So you have the bug ticket that we might go read which function call is broken right?



    The article doesn't say. I wonder why his code doesn't behave like all the other 300,000 instances of dismiss keyboard in apps.



    I'll invoke the 95% rule. 95% of the time you claim something is a bug in an OS framework, it is your own fault. Usually because you passed some poorly formed argument that breaks because the API programmer can't anticipate all the possible latent bugs that will be passed into his code by sloppy applications programmers. Wil Shipley (Delicious Monster Dev) has some wonderful personal observations on the topic.



    It may be possible this gent ran across a valid bug, but not likely. Especially since keyboard dismissals are routine operations that seem to work everywhere else (as mstone already mentiond).
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post


    What a waste of his time. Shouldn't he be working on getting printing to work instead?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    No, that's what he has his peeps do for him. I actually am not sure if he is even able to code anything.



    There's a reason why Batman doesn't scrub the toilets at his mansion.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post


    And/Or perhaps what to do with $50 billion?



    Although previously discussed on various threads, the thought is that he has a screener(s), that chooses a select few emails and does the prep work etc. How else would he know so fast why it was rejected etc. At least I would hope he has trusted assistants to do this screen and prep work... otherwise, he's a 24 hour a day(and probably distorts time to get more work done) working machine who really is an alien from the planet (fill in the blank).



    There's definitely a PR team behind all his responses. Come on, people, the PR team along with Jobs decides on the style of responses. Well, mainly Jobs decides on things, but he has a PR/screener/spam team backing him up.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Just so tiresome! (Tekstud?)



    Actually, most recently he was Newtron, and before that SendMe. For the record.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post


    I don't think I could have made it through the day without reading this.



    Yup, who needs TMZ?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post


    According to a news article a few years ago profiling various CEO's, Michael Dell has been known to help take customer orders over the phone.



    I couldn't care less if the Pope took my Dell order. I'd rather see Steve in an Apple Store.
Sign In or Register to comment.