Nvidia CEO: upcoming Android tablets will be 'magical' like Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Nvidia's chief executive this week took a page out of Apple's marketing playbook, saying that upcoming Android powered tablets with his company's processors inside will be "magical" just like the iPad.

In his company's earnings call this week, Jen-Hsun Huang admitted that the rest of the market is behind Apple's iPad. But, as ZDNet noted, he also said he believes big things are coming with devices running Nvidia's Tegra mobile processing chips.

"Although they're a little behind, the work that Google and Andy Rubin's team is doing at Google is just really amazing," he said this week. "I mean, this is clearly a world-class engineering team, And they're building a magical product."

Huang did praise Apple and its success with the iPad and the iPhone, calling both "amazing devices." He also said it would take products that are "truly remarkable" to compete with Apple.

"I think Andy and his team, and all of our engineers here working with them, and all of our partners around the world working on it, are going to absolutely deliver," he said.

Huang went on to use the word "magical" a second time when referring to future Android tablets, noting that building a viable competitor to the iPad takes time. The word "magical" has been used frequently by Apple in promotional materials for the iPad, and also repeated by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs to describe the 9.7-inch touchscreen tablet.

Huang also echoed Apple with other comments he made this week about tablets and the future of computing. Nvidia's CEO said he believes tablet-style devices will eventually replace devices like notebook computers for most day-to-day computing.

"Although we're a little bit late, the market potential is so huge, and this is the future of computing," he said. "This is the second device into the future of computing."

His comments echo those made by Jobs in June, when he said in an interview that tablet-style devices will make traditional computers less necessary. He compared the "uncomfortable" migration to tablets to the U.S. automobile industry, when most vehicles were trucks because they were driven by farmers. PCs, Jobs believes, will be like trucks -- they will still be needed and used, but will represent just a portion of the market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    David Copperfield is on their dev team. He's gonna make the iPad disappear.

;-)
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

His comments echo those made by Jobs in June, when he said in an interview that tablet-style devices will make traditional computers less necessary. He compared the "uncomfortable" migration to tablets to the U.S> automobile industry, when most vehicles were trucks because they were driven by farmers. PCs, Jobs believes, will be like trucks -- they will still be needed and used, but will represent just a portion of the market.

Real men dig trucks.

I wonder what Vince Vaughn/Ron Howard would have to say about the iPad? Are they 'magical fairy machines' like electric cars?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    I can see it now, Maestro Huang's Magic Act...

Maestro Huang says, "Ladies and Germs, the beautiful assistant will step into the magic sales booth. I will now close the curtain and say the magic words..." "Android with Nvidia Inside, Bummmmm, Bum, Bum, Bum, Bmmmm" (apparently he likes to 'borrow' from Intel as well), back to the magic words... "Buy One, Get One Free, don't Focus on the Hoax-us!"... POOF (that's the sound of the fried Nvidia graphics chip of the Android tablet's motherboard) as a cloud of smoke rises in front of the magic sales booth, Maestro Huang says "I will now open the curtain and reveal, er reveal, uh, reveal..." quietly says to assistant, 'You're supposed to disappear!' To which she replied, 'Just like your 7" tablets... Not enough magic in the world. Not gonna happen. Get used to it!'

Nvidia CEO and all the other Jen-Hsun Huang's out there, this ones for you...

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart

How the music can free her, whenever it starts

And it's magic, if the music is groovy

It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie

I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul

But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

If you believe in magic don't bother to choose

If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues

Just go and listen it'll start with a smile

It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try

Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find

How you got there, so just blow your mind

If you believe in magic, come along with me

We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me

And maybe, if the music is right

I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night

And we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see

How the magic's in the music and the music's in me

Yeah, do you believe in magic

Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul

Believe in the magic of rock and roll

Believe in the magic that can set you free

Ohh, talking 'bout magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe, believer

[Fade]
  • Reply 4 of 51
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Real men dig trucks.

Eh, fuck that. I grew up in a farming community and there were lots of trucks around. We weren't, so biggest thing we ever had was a station wagon. I have a minivan since I have 2 kids. I'm not going to buy a truck just b/c it's a truck. If I needed the hauling capacity on a regular basis, maybe, but no reason to have awful gas mileage just to say I have a truck. That's dumb
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Of course not. It will be a slightly different beast and some will like it better.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Ouch... A Good way for NVIDIA to enhance their place as a major vendor to Apple NOT. Hello AMD?
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I can see it now, Maestro Huang's Magic Act...

Maestro Huang says, "Ladies and Germs, the beautiful assistant will step into the magic sales booth. I will now close the curtain and say the magic words..." "Android with Nvidia Inside, Bummmmm, Bum, Bum, Bum, Bmmmm" (apparently he likes to 'borrow' from Intel as well), back to the magic words... "Buy One, Get One Free, don't Focus on the Hoax-us!"... POOF (that's the sound of the fried Nvidia graphics chip of the Android tablet's motherboard) as a cloud of smoke rises in front of the magic sales booth, Maestro Huang says "I will now open the curtain and reveal, er reveal, uh, reveal..." quietly says to assistant, 'You're supposed to disappear!' To which she replied, 'Just like your 7" tablets... Not enough magic in the world. Not gonna happen. Get used to it!'

Nvidia CEO and all the other Jen-Hsun Huang's out there, this ones for you...

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart

How the music can free her, whenever it starts

And it's magic, if the music is groovy

It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie

I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul

But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

If you believe in magic don't bother to choose

If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues

Just go and listen it'll start with a smile

It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try

Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find

How you got there, so just blow your mind

If you believe in magic, come along with me

We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me

And maybe, if the music is right

I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night

And we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see

How the magic's in the music and the music's in me

Yeah, do you believe in magic

Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul

Believe in the magic of rock and roll

Believe in the magic that can set you free

Ohh, talking 'bout magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe, believer

[Fade]

I think you have to be over 55 to get this post, but it brings back lots of memories.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I still find it fascinating how badly Microsoft screwed up not being exactly where Google is now, i.e. the ones, yet again, supplying a generic OS to everyone with the ability to build a box (other than Apple that is).
  • Reply 9 of 51
    I always wondered what a dinosaur would say if it could talk, thanks for helping me out.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    magical JUST LIKE the iPad???

I think you've gotta build a thing that differs iPad to make it truly magical instead of coming out something JUST LIKE the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Of course not. It will be a slightly different beast and some will like it better.

Once you define the device, there's only so many ways you can put a 9" screen into a handheld thing. The real question will be how Android 3.x's user interface tools deal with the extra screen real estate. And how well that competes with iOS 5.x, which will probably come out around the same time.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Magical? Hardly. The iPad is magical because it doens't FEEL like a computer is inside. It's your content there for the taking. Android, while it does a lot of the same things as iOS reminds you painfully every step of the way that it's an operating system on top of a computer. They still don't completely 'get it' like Apple does.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    I have no doubts that some Android driven tablets are going to appear in the market that awill be great product. But I'd actually like to finally see one rather than hear yet another executive brag about something that has not launched.

What I find amazing (even "magical") is that Apple will seemingly have the Christmas shopping season to themselves -- I never thought that would happen when they launched their tablet in April. (And obviously I don't consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab true competition for the iPad. At 7 inches it is a different segment.)

By the way, I don't find my iPad "magical". I actually think of it as a workhorse -- a device that can an almost endless number of things quickly and efficiently.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    first they copy the iPad then copy the sales pitch, the world is full of bores
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Real men dig trucks...

In my experience, if the guy isn't a farmer/logger or has some other kind of actual need for the truck (and let's face it, this is only a small fraction of truck owners), then he's usually an *sshole. The bigger the truck, the bigger the *sshole.

So if "real man" = "*sshole" then I guess I agree with you, but otherwise not.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In my experience, if the guy isn't a farmer/logger or has some other kind of actual need for the truck (and let's face it, this is only a small fraction of truck owners), then he's usually an *sshole. The bigger the truck, the bigger the *sshole.

So if "real man" = "*sshole" then I guess I agree with you, but otherwise not.

I'm guessing your live in a major urban center (perhaps San Fransisco?) and not out in the 'burbs or, heaven forbid, a rural area?
  • Reply 17 of 51
    remember when version 1.0 android tabled comes out apple will be like version 2.5 ipad.

Of course they would try to make Android talblet 1.0 looks like ipad2.5

but they would fail
  • Reply 18 of 51
    I wish everybody would just stop this whole "magical" nonsense. It's like everybody has gone to Disneyland. Have these people lost their minds? It's a freaking computer. No pixie dust involved.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    they thought of it a very late second!
  • Reply 20 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Man, Jobs and Apple have really gotten into these guy's heads haven't they. Has there ever been a CEO or company that has affected the brains of otherwise sane corporate leaders and turned them into mush like Jobs and Apple have. Even Ballmer talks jibberish when it comes to Jobs and Apple.