Apple quietly pulls Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

From everything I have read Mac OS X Server is a mediocre server OS - at best.

Unless one needs to use it for specific reasons, any Linux variant completely trumps it (CentOS for example).

Anyway, Apple is now a completely consumer oriented company, I would not trust their products for backbone purposes.

Now that's just a silly comment or is it just plain lack of knowledge? For the many gripes I have with Mac OS X server, the software is definitely production-grade...

It works well for commercial production use, and in many cases better than several Linux variants I know (for the sake of available support).

We spend the money on Redhat for that reason.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Not really that shocking. They've axed their server hardware, gotten rid of their enterprise group, and there's now only one person left doing work on OS X server who works in the campus basement. Apparently he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it...but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Not seeing it here. What troubleshooting have you done to determine it's the OS update that's causing the problem. Simply saying "well it didn't happen before" doesn't help. It's like believing washing your car caused it to rain. "Well it wasn't raining before I washed it."

Well, there are two people 'here' with the same problem, and a lot more on Apple Forums. And... to have something running for a number of months, trouble free, to have an OS update cause problems... seems to point to the update. It isn't my job to debug Apple's stuff. After submitting several DOZEN reports for iPhoto, I am done with doing Apple's QA work for them.

I love Apple, but they've had some very big misses the last few updates that are not cool...
  • Reply 24 of 34
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    I am one of the sysadmins who experienced troubles and reported those on the Apple forums. One of my user intermittently sees two other user's entire email hierarchy in place of two of his own IMAP subfolders. That is a most serious breach of privacy and IMO a fix should be available within days, not weeks.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why? I don't get what people see in OS X server. Perhaps you think the server admin app or the QuickTime streaming server or the iCal server or Applescript is what departments, home and small business needs and differentiates it from Linux. Linux, however, is free.

Its simple really. you have client/server apps that run on OSX. Final cut is a good example but dental and medical practices might use Mac Practice and possibly Springcharts EHR.

If you use those apps you need OSX SERVER. And IMO there isn't anything "wrong" with OSX server. It works quite well for small businesses.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    I too am having an issue with dropping wifi signals after upgrading to 10.6.5. It's happening on two machines both late 2007 models, one is an iMac and the other a MacBook.

My new MBP is not having the issue though, I wonder if it's a driver issue for that wifi adapter. I'll assume that both those Macs use the same wifi adapter.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Unless one needs to use it for specific reasons, any Linux variant completely trumps it (CentOS for example).

Anyway, Apple is now a completely consumer oriented company, I would not trust their products for backbone purposes.

Next you're going to say, FreeBSD is garbage.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Build 10H575 is on ADC.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Not really that shocking. They've axed their server hardware, gotten rid of their enterprise group, and there's now only one person left doing work on OS X server who works in the campus basement. Apparently he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it...but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.

Everyone working on OS X Server works without a paycheck from Apple. They go under the title 'The Open Source Community"
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Pray share with us your authoritative sources. How many have you read? Or, are you saying those who use the Apple servers are the most stupid people in the world; like the engineers. the Chairman, the research units at a university Virginia, who decided to string together several hundred Mac servers to create one of the fastest computers in the world in 2003? Would you consider the federal agencies that provided them the several million dollars to support the effort also stupid?

Oh, they were so stupid they decided to build another supercomputer, with full support from the entire university also funded by the federal government.

I read several businesses who have farms of these servers to host the servers of other businesses.

Were those part of all your reading materials that led you to conclude that Apple servers are mediocre? You must be an expert yourself about servers?

Quote:

So, please share with us what Apple consumer products you use. and trust.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    First a bad iOS 4.2 GM and now this. Apple has been sloppy lately. They need to test stuff more thoroughly before rushing it out the door.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

First a bad iOS 4.2 GM and now this. Apple has been sloppy lately. They need to test stuff more thoroughly before rushing it out the door.

I agree. You would think that a company that strives so diligently for physical perfection in their products would also do the same for their OS and softwares. Why not be the first company that releases software products with zero defects? Or at least makes it their goal to do so.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Careful, someone might accuse you of being a troll...
  • Reply 34 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I am a RH fan and although it may be a Ford/Chevy argument I feel RH is the most bulletproof OS in the server realm. But speaking of autos as an analogy to computers, comparing regular desktop computing to servers is like a commuter car versus a race car. Relying on a server admin app as opposed to actually knowing what you are doing from a unix perspective is sort of like putting an automatic transmission into a race car. Although there are a few race cars with automatic transmissions such a pro dragsters, there is not one race car driver who does not know how to drive a manual speed transmission. So my conclusion is, if you don't know how to manage a server, even an OS X server is going to be too complicated for you.

That was funny but I think it's the first car analogy for computers I have seen someone post that actually works. Well done, bravo. Things should be designed to be easy to use, but that's never an excuse to be a dilettante, as you illustrated.