WSJ: Apple to announce arrival of Beatles catalog on iTunes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    Well... which is it AI?

- A Beatles catalog (yawn, hey I'm a huge fan though, but unless you're giving me something new/different? yawn...)

- A cloud service?

- Music subscription?

I'd really rather have iOS 4.2 for the iPad tomorrow...
  • Reply 42 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_steve;

Dude. The zoom buttons and superb mouse tracking are two of the BEST features of OSX. If you want pointless fullscreen zoom and crappy hyper-sensitive mouse tracking, buy a Windoze machine.

Zoom is getting canned in Lion. You didn't get the memo, obviously. No excuses can excuse your basic ignorance of the current state of the Mac.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist;

i think getting the beatles for itunes means a lot to steve and he really doesn't care about the pathetic apple fans who don't get it.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthias03 View Post

Well... which is it AI?

- A Beatles catalog (yawn, hey I'm a huge fan though, but unless you're giving me something new/different? yawn...)

- A cloud service?

- Music subscription?

I'd really rather have iOS 4.2 for the iPad tomorrow...

They do this when they don't know. It's sad.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    When I started reading about an "unforgettable" announcement the Beatles on iTunes was the first thing I thought of but no one said anything except the cloud or streaming thing. Glad this finally appeared somewhere. Makes sense to me.

Rick in Austin

I am the Walrus
  • Reply 46 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

It doesn't really matter who here likes or dislikes The Beatles..

The fact is that their sales are consistent and well documented and their catalog is a goldmine.. Cumulatively they've sold almost 1.5 billion albums in the past 30 years and they still regularly sell millions of albums per year..

They even top most current artist album sales..

QFT. (well, not "billions")

These guys that "nobody cares about" were only the second best selling act of the '00s decade and had the top selling album of that decade. There have been stories for years speculating about when they'd show up on iTunes, they're pretty much the holy grail of artists to get. And it looks like iTunes will probably be an exclusive.

Be ready for press releases announcing X copies sold, etc. This will be a big deal in the press and will make Apple a bit of money and give them a lot of attention.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Only embarrassment here is you.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

Apparently, the Beatles are a rock band from my parents time. They used to be very big. Maybe I should listen to them . . . OR NOT!

Who would care?

how old are you?
  • Reply 49 of 90
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    \meh.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    If this is tomorrows announcement then I've already forgotten about it... :/
  • Reply 51 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    John Lennon's widow tells Reuters: "Don't hold your breath"
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Sorry for you guys but he's no longer Australian (yeah for us!) he's American, carries a USA passport, no longer has an Aussie one. OK?

he was born in Melbourne Australia and it does not matter what passport he has. He travels to Australia all the time and has been awarded Companion of the Order of Australia.

He became US Citizen for business reasons and nothing else!

Hmm I think he is Australian!
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

Apparently, the Beatles are a rock band from my parents time. They used to be very big. Maybe I should listen to them . . . OR NOT!

Who would care?

You had to google the Beatles because the music made these days rots your brain. Pull your pants up. I had to walk to and from school uphill both ways. Stay the hell off my lawn.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    If the big announcement tomorrow is The Beatles then: Yawn. Who actually buys music anymore anyways--especially music with DRM.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    If this is what is the "big announcement" then its going to be super retarded. Something like that doesn't deserve the anticipation Apple is giving it if it turns out to be true
  • Reply 56 of 90
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

Reading all your posts...

Everyone is so f'ing negative about EVERYTHING!!!!!!

If it's this, you'll be disappointed, if it's 'that' then Apple should have done it years ago, blah blah blah.

What a bunch of cry babies.

Why are you negative? Why can't you be happy that we're negative?

moops.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Yoko's decision. Maybe she used it as a "pilot program" to see how well his music might sell. I'm sure it sold like crazy. I'm not even a Lennon fan and I bought the Double Fantasy album from iTunes.

So... I expect this rumor to be true.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

If the big announcement tomorrow is The Beatles then: Yawn. Who actually buys music anymore anyways--especially music with DRM.

iTunes is DRM-free music.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    So okay, I'm going to be a little disappointed if it's the Beatles.

HOWEVER, I don't think it's fair to expect Apple not to make SOME kind of big deal about it. Be fair, they've been working their assess off for years to land the deal. When they finally succeed, they get to make a make some noise.

And I'll agree that a lot of people probably already have their stuff. But not everyone. I don't. It'll probably be a little while before I do, too. I've been known to hold grudges a long time, and I've been pretty frustrated with the the B for how long this took.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Are we turning into a 'republish every story that hits the web' now, website?

What's next? NYT: Apple to announce baseball cards.

How about some intelligent articles, guys. There's something to be said about the patient approach. You guys are so mad to say you said something first that what you actually say has become irrelevant - to you. Do you simply care that you said something that was right? In which case you'll pump out the stories just to say: "yeah, we published that one". How about actually waiting to publish something good?

A day we'll never forget is The Beatles on iTunes? Really? Everyone who likes the band already has their records. To hype this one, like they are doing by taking over the Apple homepage across-the-world and being very mysterious while alluding to promise a lot, is well beyond a joke. Well beyond a joke.

+1

Appleinsider is the King of iHype. Quoting morons like Jon Gruber who never gets stuff right or say things that are obvious to everyone. Notice how these types never say they were wrong? How many times did AI say that the new Mac Pro's were coming, but got it wrong again and again.

The iHype is getting so bad its having a negative effect, because the truth is always a let down now.

Beatles on iTunes......so what. I ripped my CD's years ago, and dont even listen to them often any more.